TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Arizona vs. Penn?

Arizona w/Perry Rogers (full-tuition)
34
19%
Penn w/James Wilson ($75K)
147
81%
 
Total votes: 181

User avatar
RonArtest
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby RonArtest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?



No.


For the love of christ, close this thread already.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby sanpiero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:26 pm

sundevil77 wrote:UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?


Honestly, I can't see how you can go wrong with either choice. I'd say, go wherever you want to spend the next three years. If you don't want to move so far away from home and don't want to live in Philly in particular, don't go to Penn. You are not going to hamper your professional or political career in the state of AZ by attending the best law school in the state. As an added bonus, you will have next to no debt upon graduating and you will have three years to make even more connections in the state through clinics, law review, clerkships, etc. If you aren't obsessive about prestige, don't particularly want to move across the country, and aren't especially thrilled about living in Philly, I'd vote for U of A. The reason I previously suggested otherwise is that you made it seem you were pretty thrilled about Penn.
Last edited by sanpiero on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:26 pm

How in the world are your only options going to UofA or a Half-Scholly to UPenn?? Like did you just throw darts at a roulette board when you were picking schools to apply to?

You should have a ton of stuff mixed in beyond Chicago or NYU, or perhaps close to full rides in the T12~T25 section... seriously confused here as why your only full ride ur considering is UofA.

Also, with your numbers, TCR: Retake LSAT, go to HYS next year :lol:

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:How in the world are your only options going to UofA or a Half-Scholly to UPenn?? Like did you just throw darts at a roulette board when you were picking schools to apply to?

You should have a ton of stuff mixed in beyond Chicago or NYU, or perhaps close to full rides in the T12~T25 section... seriously confused here as why your only full ride ur considering is UofA.

Also, with your numbers, TCR: Retake LSAT, go to HYS next year :lol:


I did have other stuff mixed in, but I visited Penn and they basically came through with a miracle scholarship. Way better than anything else I have.

User avatar
Na_Swatch
Posts: 472
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Na_Swatch » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:37 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:How in the world are your only options going to UofA or a Half-Scholly to UPenn?? Like did you just throw darts at a roulette board when you were picking schools to apply to?

You should have a ton of stuff mixed in beyond Chicago or NYU, or perhaps close to full rides in the T12~T25 section... seriously confused here as why your only full ride ur considering is UofA.

Also, with your numbers, TCR: Retake LSAT, go to HYS next year :lol:


I did have other stuff mixed in, but I visited Penn and they basically came through with a miracle scholarship. Way better than anything else I have.


You have your answer :D

User avatar
Lermontov
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Lermontov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm

If you really want to stick around in AZ, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Take it with whatever salt you want, because I am still wanting a money increase from Penn, but Arizona isn't like one of these Northeast states that is clogged with law schools. It's like being a lawyer in Montana (I'm looking at you Judge Sidney Thomas) - coming from Univ. of Montana gives you a perfectly good shot.

As far as I can tell, there's no bias against 'zona or ASU because so many people are familiar with them, including law firms. It won't be a help to you necessarily, but it won't hurt you either, especially staying in state.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:44 pm

missvik218 wrote:I reread this twice thinking that you just were confused and kept referring to Penn State as Penn because you didn't know better. But you REALLY mean PENN ... there is no question, go to Penn.

This +180. I kept laughing to myself, thinking that he doesn't even know Penn and Penn State are *slightly* (hugely) different.

No question here, go to Penn.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Lermontov wrote:If you really want to stick around in AZ, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Take it with whatever salt you want, because I am still wanting a money increase from Penn, but Arizona isn't like one of these Northeast states that is clogged with law schools. It's like being a lawyer in Montana (I'm looking at you Judge Sidney Thomas) - coming from Univ. of Montana gives you a perfectly good shot.

As far as I can tell, there's no bias against 'zona or ASU because so many people are familiar with them, including law firms. It won't be a help to you necessarily, but it won't hurt you either, especially staying in state.


If OP wants to work in a big firm, yes UofA will "hurt" him in that he'll have a much smaller chance at doing that from there than he will from Penn.

And though Arizona isn't "clogged" with law schools (debatable now that they have three) it's also not exactly full of jobs.

User avatar
Lermontov
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Lermontov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Lermontov wrote:If you really want to stick around in AZ, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Take it with whatever salt you want, because I am still wanting a money increase from Penn, but Arizona isn't like one of these Northeast states that is clogged with law schools. It's like being a lawyer in Montana (I'm looking at you Judge Sidney Thomas) - coming from Univ. of Montana gives you a perfectly good shot.

As far as I can tell, there's no bias against 'zona or ASU because so many people are familiar with them, including law firms. It won't be a help to you necessarily, but it won't hurt you either, especially staying in state.


If OP wants to work in a big firm, yes UofA will "hurt" him in that he'll have a much smaller chance at doing that from there than he will from Penn.

And though Arizona isn't "clogged" with law schools (debatable now that they have three) it's also not exactly full of jobs.


Could well be true, but I got the impression he was looking at politic-type things as much as firm related issues, and staying in-state would help build those relationships better.

I think I started off saying I consider it a wash, so if there's any particularly strong concerns one way or the other I could certainly see that swaying my thinking.

jacko
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:00 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby jacko » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:28 pm

I say go to Penn. Maybe with a little bit different schools I would advise the cheaper option, like if you wanted Chicago and went with UIUC, or wanted Seattle or Portland and went to UW, but in this case I really don't think that U of A is good enough.

User avatar
beesknees
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:46 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby beesknees » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:42 pm

I was going to read the OP because I thought the decision might lie in the details if it was full ride to U of A vs Penn sticker (though I admit it would still probably be Penn, but its reasonable to pause with that much debt on the line). But then I see you got a half scholly at Penn. This isn't even a question. You like the school, it will open way more doors for you AND you got money.

Penn. /thread

User avatar
hoopsguy6
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby hoopsguy6 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:22 am

TipTravHoot wrote:Blatant "I got a big scholly at Penn" trolling.


+1

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby JCougar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 am

sundevil77 wrote:UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?


I would have leaned U of A simply for the sake of politics, but if you went to undergrad there, as somebody already mentioned, you should be good. U of A would be a better choice if you were certain you would finish Order of the Coif, but there's definitely no certainty of that at any school. U of A would be a huge gamble.

clashjones87
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby clashjones87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Lermontov wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Lermontov wrote:If you really want to stick around in AZ, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. Take it with whatever salt you want, because I am still wanting a money increase from Penn, but Arizona isn't like one of these Northeast states that is clogged with law schools. It's like being a lawyer in Montana (I'm looking at you Judge Sidney Thomas) - coming from Univ. of Montana gives you a perfectly good shot.

As far as I can tell, there's no bias against 'zona or ASU because so many people are familiar with them, including law firms. It won't be a help to you necessarily, but it won't hurt you either, especially staying in state.


If OP wants to work in a big firm, yes UofA will "hurt" him in that he'll have a much smaller chance at doing that from there than he will from Penn.

And though Arizona isn't "clogged" with law schools (debatable now that they have three) it's also not exactly full of jobs.


Could well be true, but I got the impression he was looking at politic-type things as much as firm related issues, and staying in-state would help build those relationships better.

I think I started off saying I consider it a wash, so if there's any particularly strong concerns one way or the other I could certainly see that swaying my thinking.


wut? have you looked at what schools he hires clerks from? montana has 2 or 3 in the past 10 or so years.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Why did you bump a three year old thread?

clashjones87
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby clashjones87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm

dr123 wrote:Why did you bump a three year old thread?
because someone could detrimentally rely on this false info.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:42 pm

clashjones87 wrote:
dr123 wrote:Why did you bump a three year old thread?
because someone could detrimentally rely on this false info.


I dont think a lot of people are looking at three year old threads about Arizona and Penn for info on UMontana.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm

This would be a question if you received $75k from Penn. But if you're CoA for Penn is 75k this is a no-brainer.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Um, this person already graduated from wherever they went to school. So, yeah.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Um, this person already graduated from wherever they went to school. So, yeah.


Don't you know that TLS has the power to retroactively change someone's 3 year old law school decision? :)

clashjones87
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby clashjones87 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Um, this person already graduated from wherever they went to school. So, yeah.


I was under the impression that people other than the OP could rely on this publicly available information. My bad.

beardown_tho
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby beardown_tho » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:55 am

It is pretty funny to bump a "where should I go thread" from a poster who likely went to school and graduated already

User avatar
Motivator9
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby Motivator9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:20 am

sundevil77 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:UPDATE: Through some certain......ummmm......errrrr......backchannels, I received the opinion of a certain influential AZ politician that went to U of A. He thinks going to U of A isn't such a bad idea. Of course, he is admittedly biased. WOULD THIS CHANGE ANYONE'S OPINION?



No.


Fair enough.


Lol haha I like Penn here. More opportunities on the East Coast. Good luck
Last edited by Motivator9 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby sinfiery » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 am

Let's hope OP comes and provides a 3 year update

User avatar
lawschoolwoohoo
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: TLS, please help me decide! UofA vs. Penn

Postby lawschoolwoohoo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Go to Penn. Enjoy great job prospects and $.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, thriller1122 and 6 guests