Uchicago v Columbia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
liljerry

Uchicago v Columbia

Postby liljerry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:40 am

Suprised to not find any recent threads comparing. Anyways 50k at uchicago. 20k at Columbia. Not sure what I want to do after, possibly ip. Main concern is that if I ever quit biglaw the Columbia name would be much better than uchicago.

Thoughts?

blue5385

Re: Uchicago v Columbia

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am

I'm in a similar situation, so I'm glad you posted this. Do you have a good idea of whether you'd rather live in NY or Chicago after law school? Both schools are of course nationally well known, but the prestige associated with one or the other varies based on what region you're in.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:47 am

liljerry wrote:Suprised to not find any recent threads comparing. Anyways 50k at uchicago. 20k at Columbia. Not sure what I want to do after, possibly ip. Main concern is that if I ever quit biglaw the Columbia name would be much better than uchicago.

Thoughts?

As long as whatever you are doing is still law/academia (legal or otherwise) related the Chicago name will hold weight for you. Outside of that realm Columbia's name is probably going to be better simply for lay prestige, you've gotta decide of that's important to you. I think the scholarship amounts you have received are close enough (even when Columbia's higher COL is factored in) that you should pick whichever school you like. I hope you like Chicago (I'm going there).

The important thing is that you don't really have a bad choice unless you think you won't be happy at one of the schools.

Good luck

Edit: Check out this thread if you want some insight from a U of C alum doing something outside of biglaw. I think he posted in the thread that he had it set to email him if the thread is updated so you may even be able to resurrect it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=95433
Last edited by jerjon2 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 am

Do you want to work in NYC or Chicago?

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 am

Isn't Columbia a better school for IP?

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am

spondee wrote:Isn't Columbia a better school for IP?

I'm pretty sure it is but if you are patent bar eligible and going to a school ranked that highly (either of them I mean), would it matter? Also, would it come more into play if you are interested in soft IP, because if that's case Columbia may be a better choice.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 am

VISIT!

I went to both and got totally different vibes at both ASWs. I cannot stress the importance of visiting after I did and I think once you do visit, you'll have a much clearer decision on your hands.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 am

liljerry wrote:Suprised to not find any recent threads comparing. Anyways 50k at uchicago. 20k at Columbia. Not sure what I want to do after, possibly ip. Main concern is that if I ever quit biglaw the Columbia name would be much better than uchicago.

Thoughts?

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 am

I think a school's region comes more into play than a school's ranking for a certain type of law. I work for the IP group at a biglaw firm. Most of the heavy hitters are Harvard guys and many of the associates & other partners are from top schools that are more regional (like CLS & U of C). I'm not sure about smaller firms that exclusively practice IP law, though, they could be different.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 am

blue5385 wrote:

I think a school's region comes more into play than a school's ranking for a certain type of law. I work for the IP group at a biglaw firm. Most of the heavy hitters are Harvard guys and many of the associates & other partners are from top schools that are more regional (like CLS & U of C). I'm not sure about smaller firms that exclusively practice IP law, though, they could be different.

I don't mean to hijack but how is that IP group doing? (I'm curious about the performance of IP groups in GP firms during the recession) Also, what city if you don't mind.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 am

jerjon2 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I don't mean to hijack but how is that IP group doing? (I'm curious about the performance of IP groups in GP firms during the recession) Also, what city if you don't mind.

I'd rather hold off on giving more detailed info until my cycle is completely over (still waiting on one more school), but I will say that our group is extremely busy (overworked and understaffed ATM...we really need to hire more people all around).

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 am

blue5385 wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

I'd rather hold off on giving more detailed info until my cycle is completely over (still waiting on one more school), but I will say that our group is extremely busy (overworked and understaffed ATM...we really need to hire more people all around).

I understand your apprehension. That is helpful nonetheless. Can you say primary or secondary market?

Thanks either way.

Edit: Also, good luck on your last school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”