Not sure where to begin looking (space/nuclear law) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pistolen08

New

Not sure where to begin looking (space/nuclear law)

Post by Pistolen08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi everyone!

I'll lay out all my info and hopefully someone can suggest a program that fits my needs. I'm interested in either space law or something law related in the nuclear sector- I'm a scientist at heart :)

I haven't been able to find much in my areas of interest, so any suggestions would be very helpful (both domestic and international).

Junior at Florida State University
Japanese (Business Management Concentration), Economics double major
Cumulative 3.73 GPA
Currently spending 1 year studying Japanese and International Law+Business at Hiroshima University in Japan
Kaplan Diagnostic LSAT - 163 (not much preparation, aiming for 168 on the real thing)
3 years work experience in network/system administration and 2 years of part time pharmacy work

Thanks for your help!

Pistolen08

New

Re: Not sure where to begin looking (space/nuclear law)

Post by Pistolen08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 pm

bump

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Pistolen08

New

Post by Pistolen08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Z3RO wrote:_
I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Please stick to relevant replies if you plan on contributing.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:09 pm

If I were you i would look at companies that deal with these issue and then look at their general councel office and find out were they went to school, you could even email them. Of course for space law i would look into UH seeing as NASA is like down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 pm

the best school in your range is Emory.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I think I am gonna have to agree with Z3RO on this one.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm

According to US News and World Report, Willamette and Mercer top the list for their Space Law Specialty Rankings.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm

I have heard mississippi state and nebraska have noted space law programs. Though, space law really is in existence.

But neither of those are really where you want to go. I would suggest trying for Texas. They have an interesting national security clinic. I figure anything thing that is interesting in the space or nuclear agency would have to do with national security. Texas is also a pretty good school and will get you places miss st and nebraska won't.

Also, the "scientist at heart" statement suggests you should look at patent/IP law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Your profile doesn't seem to be very science-oriented, to be honest. The number of corporations (and law firms with which they deal) that primarily engage in space or nuclear activities is not large, and I imagine that they would prefer to hire an attorney with advanced prior knowledge in the field, such as a Ph.D. in engineering or nuclear physics. I suppose that you could also look into working with the federal government in its role as a regulator of space and nuclear activity. You might also consider aiming for an energy provider that uses nuclear power plants; you would likely not start out working on matters dealing with its nuclear operations, but as you gain seniority, you might get that chance.

Regardless, you would be best served by attending the best law school that you can get into. Try to raise your GPA as much as you can and ace the LSAT. Consider that the field of space/nuclear law is a very specialized and small one and the likelihood of actually practicing full-time in it is minute. Attending a top law school increases your chances, though. Good luck.

MDPSteve

New

Post by MDPSteve » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Pistolen08 wrote:Hi everyone!

I'll lay out all my info and hopefully someone can suggest a program that fits my needs. I'm interested in either space law or something law related in the nuclear sector- I'm a scientist at heart :)

I haven't been able to find much in my areas of interest, so any suggestions would be very helpful (both domestic and international).

Junior at Florida State University
Japanese (Business Management Concentration), Economics double major
Cumulative 3.73 GPA
Currently spending 1 year studying Japanese and International Law+Business at Hiroshima University in Japan
Kaplan Diagnostic LSAT - 163 (not much preparation, aiming for 168 on the real thing)
3 years work experience in network/system administration and 2 years of part time pharmacy work

Thanks for your help!
May not be what you're looking for but Villanova has a 3-year joint J.D./LL.M. in conjunction with the University of Leiden. Awarding a J.D. from Villanova and an LL.M. (Adv.) in Air and Space Law from University of Leiden.

http://www.law.villanova.edu/Academics/ ... udies.aspx

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:36 am

Flame. If not flame, then teh lulz.

singingvontrapp

New

Post by singingvontrapp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Unless t14 then the next best course of action is to go to a law school in the area where you want to practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:09 pm

In a comic book.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Aeon wrote:Your profile doesn't seem to be very science-oriented, to be honest. The number of corporations (and law firms with which they deal) that primarily engage in space or nuclear activities is not large, and I imagine that they would prefer to hire an attorney with advanced prior knowledge in the field, such as a Ph.D. in engineering or nuclear physics. I suppose that you could also look into working with the federal government in its role as a regulator of space and nuclear activity. You might also consider aiming for an energy provider that uses nuclear power plants; you would likely not start out working on matters dealing with its nuclear operations, but as you gain seniority, you might get that chance.

Regardless, you would be best served by attending the best law school that you can get into. Try to raise your GPA as much as you can and ace the LSAT. Consider that the field of space/nuclear law is a very specialized and small one and the likelihood of actually practicing full-time in it is minute. Attending a top law school increases your chances, though. Good luck.
This is false. There are several biglaw firms that deal with defense/nuclear issues. I have a good friend with two masters in nuclear related fields and extensive work as a government expert on nuclear weapons and nuclear terrorism. You know what biglaw told him when he came knocking with his T14 degree? "We'd rather have someone with top grades and no experience than medium grades and a ton of experience."

Go to the best school you can get into and go from there.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Work for the government, then jump to the private sector

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:39 pm

You should write a law review article concerning the legal ramifications of the Death Star destroying the planet Alderaan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm

MTal wrote:You should write a law review article concerning the legal ramifications of the Death Star destroying the planet Alderaan.
This may be preempted. See Hon. Alex Kozinski, Book Review, Gore Wars, 100 Mich. L. Rev. 1742, 1754 (2002) (noting that calls to increase environmental regulation "come swaddled in dire pronouncements from the usual suspects and carry the imprimatur of some scientific-sounding group ready to vouch that this crisis will cause as much damage to Earth as the Death Star did to the planet Alderaan").

edit: See also id. at 1749 ("[O]ur forests are not disappearing, in fact they're making a comeback strong enough to satisfy any Ewok.").

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
MTal wrote:You should write a law review article concerning the legal ramifications of the Death Star destroying the planet Alderaan.
This may be preempted. See Hon. Alex Kozinski, Book Review, Gore Wars, 100 Mich. L. Rev. 1742, 1754 (2002) (noting that calls to increase environmental regulation "come swaddled in dire pronouncements from the usual suspects and carry the imprimatur of some scientific-sounding group ready to vouch that this crisis will cause as much damage to Earth as the Death Star did to the planet Alderaan").

edit: See also id. at 1749 ("[O]ur forests are not disappearing, in fact they're making a comeback strong enough to satisfy any Ewok.").
Of course, it would be Kozinski.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 pm

8)

Pistolen08

New

Post by Pistolen08 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks (some of you) for the replies. I am still researching different programs, but it seems as though there aren't many opportunities for this kind of work. From what I have read so far, I think my best bet is either nuclear environmental law through Navy JAG or trying to secure a job with an existing power company or perhaps the DoD. I am trying to not limit myself to staying in the US (I know France has a large nuclear power program), but I will aim for a T14 US school if nothing more specialized comes up and take it from there.

With the development of small reactors such as the Toshiba 4S, I know this field is going to be huge in the coming years. I'm not sure why some of you think I'm flaming. I can assure you I'm completely serious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:09 am

For starters, you should aim much higher than a 168 with a 163 diagnostic.

burtonrideclub

Bronze

Post by burtonrideclub » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:55 am

Have you considered Bird Law?

waxloaf

Bronze

Post by waxloaf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 am

Holly Golightly wrote:For starters, you should aim much higher than a 168 with a 163 diagnostic.
correct, crush the lsat, go to a top school, then figure out where the space law jobs are

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 am

Dual JD/ME in Space Engineering, Atmospheric/Space Science, or Nuclear Engineering at Michigan?

http://aoss.engin.umich.edu/pages/graduate/sgus_space
http://aoss.engin.umich.edu/pages/gradu ... tmospheric
http://www-ners.engin.umich.edu/

Just make sure you pick up these classes before you graduate:

Astrodynamics, Propulsion, Launch Vehicles, Space Science, Computer Control and Data Handling, Plasma Electrodynamics and Sensors, Instrumentation and Sensor Payloads, Telemetry and Spacecraft Communications

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”