UC Davis now greater than UC Hastings?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
General Tso

Re: UC Davis now greater than UC Hastings?

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Borhas wrote:I know this is TLS, but that's hardly a bar worth mentioning, there are attention whores and idiots who think there are funny in every thread, but there are also a lot of people who just want some good info, and they're usually not morons like us who have thousands of posts.

Anyway, I'm not smart enough to say what is right, but sometime I do know what is wrong. Anyway it's not so much what anyone says but how they say it. You have to come off from a position of cool confidence, not panicked rage, lay off the sinking ship bull shit, and focus on measures that will be taken in the future.

We know the factors behind UCD's boost, they have literally unbelievable employment #'s despite being equal in every single outcome measured on this site (NLJ 250, Vault 25, PI+Government, Fed Clerkships) and that renovation they had probably increased their money per student number (not sure if that's still a factor though). The % differences are statistically insignificant in every category. Create one thread, with ALL the evidence laid out. Defend the argument elsewhere, but that has restrictions as well, like don't jump into the Acceptance thread. The threads in the acceptance forum serve 2 purposes: 1 helpful info on admissions issues, and 2 circle jerk.

$0.02

Agree with that...I have exited the acceptances thread. I don't usually run to those threads looking to start a fight; I usually read something someone has posted like "HasTTTings sux in USNWR --> go Davis" and find myself getting pulled into a fight. But I will try to restrain my emotions in the future :D

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

swheat wrote:
mnolen wrote:swheat, I can understand why you're pissed, but it seems like you've been pretty pissed about attending Hastings all year. I'm also not thrilled about the drop in the rankings, but I don't think it's really going to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It won't affect the jobs that are available to us in any practical way. And furthermore, I'm fairly sure it will even out in time. So why all the drama? It seems like you just don't like Hastings and you're happy to have something to complain about. Sorry if I'm being rude, but I don't want people to think that all of us at Hastings are dissatisfied with the school.

I get it...you've had it in for me since that half-serious Cooley to Hastings thread I started 6 months ago. But what I don't get is how you turn this debate -- one in which I've done nothing but try to defend Hastings' slipping reputation -- into me being somehow critical of the school. I have been critical of Hastings in the past...it's hard to take these kind of tuition hikes and not be vocal about it. I haven't taken out my pitchfork or taken to the streets like our Berkeley and SF State counterparts. If I come to an online public forum to rant about it, what's the harm? If you think I am discouraging people from attending Hastings, I am not. As far as I can tell, I am here much more often to answer people's questions about the school than you are. I am not going to be a bimbo Hastings cheerleader....instead I try to tell people the truth, just as Professor Little always suggests when we have visitors to the class.

As far as employment prospects...you are probably right. In the short-term, it probably won't affect us in a significant way. If you are okay with your law school unjustifiably sliding toward T2 mediocrity, that's your prerogative. If I want to come on a law school forum and complain about it, that's mine.

FWIW, I'm deciding between Davis and Hastings and swheat has not turned me off Hastings at all. On the contrary, the school needs students and faculty like him to be engaged and demand value for the high cost of a Hastings degree. Davis has also been increasing its tuition, which will likely continue, but at least it can point to a major improvement in ranking, for what that's worth.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 pm

swheat wrote:
Agree with that...I have exited the acceptances thread. I don't usually run to those threads looking to start a fight; I usually read something someone has posted like "HasTTTings sux in USNWR --> go Davis" and find myself getting pulled into a fight. But I will try to restrain my emotions in the future :D

good to hear brother
====

I'm looking forward to all the upbeat spin I'll hear about it at ASD on Saturday...now, enough of this internet drama :mrgreen:

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 pm

swheat wrote:
mnolen wrote:swheat, I can understand why you're pissed, but it seems like you've been pretty pissed about attending Hastings all year. I'm also not thrilled about the drop in the rankings, but I don't think it's really going to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It won't affect the jobs that are available to us in any practical way. And furthermore, I'm fairly sure it will even out in time. So why all the drama? It seems like you just don't like Hastings and you're happy to have something to complain about. Sorry if I'm being rude, but I don't want people to think that all of us at Hastings are dissatisfied with the school.

I get it...you've had it in for me since that half-serious Cooley to Hastings thread I started 6 months ago. But what I don't get is how you turn this debate -- one in which I've done nothing but try to defend Hastings' slipping reputation -- into me being somehow critical of the school. I have been critical of Hastings in the past...it's hard to take these kind of tuition hikes and not be vocal about it. I haven't taken out my pitchfork or taken to the streets like our Berkeley and SF State counterparts. If I come to an online public forum to rant about it, what's the harm? If you think I am discouraging people from attending Hastings, I am not. As far as I can tell, I am here much more often to answer people's questions about the school than you are. I am not going to be a bimbo Hastings cheerleader....instead I try to tell people the truth, just as Professor Little always suggests when we have visitors to the class.

As far as employment prospects...you are probably right. In the short-term, it probably won't affect us in a significant way. If you are okay with your law school unjustifiably sliding toward T2 mediocrity, that's your prerogative. If I want to come on a law school forum and complain about it, that's mine.

I certainly don't "have it out" for you, and I don't remember a Cooley/Hastings thread. All I'm saying is that you seem to take this really personally, as if going from 39 to 42 is a major detriment to your future. And while I agree it's not great, I certainly don't see it as sliding toward T2 mediocrity. It's just a number, and one which has very little practical involvement with our lives. Then again, I don't have a dick, so I've never understood measuring contests :wink:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Not to gloat, but Prof. Leiter has scrutinized Davis along the same lines as myself:
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... r-not.html
Duke, Northwestern University, University of Iowa, University of Utah, and University of Hawaii are the only law schools in the United States to have reported 100% of their graduates employed nine months after graduating (by then in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depresion)--thus trouncing Yale, Stanford, Berkeley, Cornell, Georgetown, Wash U/St. Louis, and many others.

University of California at Davis reported 97.3% of its graduates employed at graduation, while the University of California at Hastings reported only 69.8% of its graduates employed at graduation.

Arizona State University reported 90.7% of its graduates employed at graduation, while the University of Arizona reported only 77.4%. (ASU also leap-frogged nearly 20 spots in the overall ranking, showing up ahead of U of Arizona. Strangely enough, ASU is part of a university that rewards its leaders for improvements in U.S. News ranking.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”