Which one to choose?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
koehn2

Which one to choose?

Postby koehn2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Ok so I know that this post is going to get a lot of negative responses. That being said I am going to law school so don't tell me to take a year off and retake the LSAT because that decision has already been made.

Alright, so the two main schools that I have to choose to put a seat deposit down at are between Washburn and Thomas Jefferson ($$). I am from Kansas, so Washburn is just down the road a be a very comfortable and safe choice in my mind.

I was also accepted to Thomas Jefferson with half tuition, but Washburn would still be cheaper with in state residency. I want to leave Kansas because I have never lived anywhere else. I love San Diego and would love to practice there. However, I went and toured the school at TJ and it didn't put my mind at ease. The facilities aren't great right now. There is a new building that will open my second semester. I feel like there are so many variables that I don't know the answer to with Thomas Jefferson.

Washburn has a decent reputation in Kansas, but it is in TOPEKA and I can't seem to get past that.
I am waitlisted at KU and will attend if I get off the waitlist, but I need a back up just in case.

Am I being crazy for still wanting to go to Thomas Jefferson because of its location?

Thanks for the advice!

FuManChusco

Re: Which one to choose?

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:30 am

flame? just in case.

koehn2

Postby koehn2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 pm

FuManChusco wrote:flame? just in case.

Flame? I guess I don't know what that means?

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:25 pm

If you are serious, do not move across the country to go to Thomas Jefferson. It is the worst out of the three local schools and a waste of money.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

I hate to say it, but go with the cheaper option. If it's your dream to get the heck out of Kansas, you need a better option than Thomas Jefferson. If you're dead set on going to law school with the options you have, then Washburn is the better option. (I am reminded of a certain South Park episode when I say that, but, to be nice, I will not reference the actual episode).
That said, do EVERYTHING you can to get off the waitlist at KU, a school that will give you at least has SOME mobility (albeit regional mobility) - write a killer LOCI, send a school-specific LOR if you haven't already, visit the school, etc.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:33 pm

1. I went to undergrad in Kansas, and I still live here.
2. I know numerous people that have gone to Washburn, and one person that has gone to Thomas Jefferson. Although I did not apply to Washburn, I visited and spent a weekend in Topeka.
3. There is no acceptable advice to give except: do not go to either school. If you get off the waitlist, go to KU. Otherwise, wait a year and re-take. Washburn has an awful location, apathetic students, awful facilities, I could continue...TJ is as bad, if not worse.

HTH

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Last edited by thisiswater1488 on Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koehn2

Postby koehn2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 pm

OneKnight wrote:I hate to say it, but go with the cheaper option. If it's your dream to get the heck out of Kansas, you need a better option than Thomas Jefferson. If you're dead set on going to law school with the options you have, then Washburn is the better option. (I am reminded of a certain South Park episode when I say that, but, to be nice, I will not reference the actual episode).
That said, do EVERYTHING you can to get off the waitlist at KU, a school that will give you at least has SOME mobility (albeit regional mobility) - write a killer LOCI, send a school-specific LOR if you haven't already, visit the school, etc.

I already got another LOR from one of my professors that is one of the most respected legal consultants around. I know he works with a lot of professors form the law school. I got one of the highest grades in the class on his midterms, so I can't imagine he would write anything negative. Also, my cousin graduated in the top 10% of his class from KU and I have gotten his advice about how to get off the wait-list. I think my chances are decent, but I don't want to put everything on getting off of a wait-list.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:48 pm

well, you don't have a choice but to hope for KU. if you go to Washburn or TJ then you're throwing your money away.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:09 pm

koehn2 wrote:
OneKnight wrote:I hate to say it, but go with the cheaper option. If it's your dream to get the heck out of Kansas, you need a better option than Thomas Jefferson. If you're dead set on going to law school with the options you have, then Washburn is the better option. (I am reminded of a certain South Park episode when I say that, but, to be nice, I will not reference the actual episode).

I already got another LOR from one of my professors that is one of the most respected legal consultants around. I know he works with a lot of professors form the law school. I got one of the highest grades in the class on his midterms, so I can't imagine he would write anything negative. Also, my cousin graduated in the top 10% of his class from KU and I have gotten his advice about how to get off the wait-list. I think my chances are decent, but I don't want to put everything on getting off of a wait-list.

Additional LOR's count for very little for getting off the WL for most schools. If you have competitive numbers, visiting and writing strong LOCI will help. The best way to actually get off the WL would be to retake in June and get a higher LSAT score though.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:14 pm

NU_Jet55 is right on target, in my opinion. Write a letter of continued interest to the University of Kansas School of Law.

koehn2

Postby koehn2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
koehn2 wrote:

Additional LOR's count for very little for getting off the WL for most schools. If you have competitive numbers, visiting and writing strong LOCI will help. The best way to actually get off the WL would be to retake in June and get a higher LSAT score though.

I applied for the summer start program so school starts in May. June LSAT would be too late. Where did you get that information that the LOR counts for very little? I am just curious.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”