NJ Associate - $12 an hour

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolblows

NJ Associate - $12 an hour

Postby lawschoolblows » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Sounds like a great job:

--LinkRemoved--

As you can see, doc review rates have now plunged to $20 an hour:

--LinkRemoved--

This is reality, kids. The market really is that saturated. I am the creator of the blog Big Debt, Small Law and offer these additional posts to attempt to dissuade you all from making the life-destroying mistake of enrolling in law school:

--LinkRemoved--

and
--LinkRemoved--

clintonius

Re: NJ Associate - $12 an hour

Postby clintonius » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

So you went to a T2 and are mad about doing doc review in NYC?

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 pm

FWIW -

This was posted on xoxohth earlier today, and given that the TS has 2 posts, I think it is safe to say TS's sole interest is to post bad news and warn of the inevitable doom of law students.

Edit: not to mention I just read his username, lol :)

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 am

Piss off Chicken Little.
Last edited by Cactus on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:24 am

Cactus wrote:Piss off Chicken Little.

Do you disagree with what he's saying? Did you happen to read the add?

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 am

MTal wrote:
Cactus wrote:Piss off Chicken Little.

Do you disagree with what he's saying? Did you happen to read the add?

No & No

But we all know it sucks to come out of a below average law school in a saturated legal market where 10+ area schools eclipse you. I don't know who's radar he expected to be on, but I wish him the best of luck with the blog.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:54 am

lawschoolblows wrote:Sounds like a great job:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

This is reality, kids. The market really is that saturated. I am the creator of the blog Big Debt, Small Law and offer these additional posts to attempt to dissuade you all from making the life-destroying mistake of enrolling in law school:

--LinkRemoved--

and
--LinkRemoved--

OP, I opened your site using the Incognito feature on my browser, just in case I was embarrassed by what I read and didn't want anyone to know that I was looking at it.

OP describing soon-to-be-lawyers' fantasies:
"...envisioning oneself captivating jurors with soaring oratory and seating “surprise’ witnesses like Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird?...Sending rapists and murdering scum up the river and then meeting “the boys” for a well-earned victory beer before firing up the Ferrari to head home?"

Apparently my cautious behavior was justified. Not many people think they're going to be Ferrari-driving ADAs.

dvd

Postby dvd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 am

Okay, so I am bored at 2:30 am and actually read one of the poster's blog posts.

I liked it very much. You are a good writer and you should try and publish a book so you can be happy with what you are doing! :) But I am still going to law school.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:31 am

PhantaManta wrote:Okay, so I am bored at 2:30 am and actually read one of the poster's blog posts.

I liked it very much. You are a good writer and you should try and publish a book so you can be happy with what you are doing! :) But I am still going to law school.

+1 OP's blog was was pretty darn funny. It had me laughing for a while. I don't agree that you can't have a successful, fulfilling career as an attorney, but I do agree that OP should write a book and make some money. He's got talent.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am

I found the style to be annoying and patronizing. The information he's spreading does need to get out there, but the OP is stuck on absolutes -- this job is horrible therefore nobody should go to law school. Truth: People need to know what the study and practice of law is about. Truth: they need to know that going to a T2 or lower law school will almost certainly land you nothing better than a doc review position if you insist on practicing in NYC, and perhaps it's presumptuous of me to say, "who the fuck doesn't know that?" False: all legal jobs pay shit wages and force attorneys to work in crowded basements without bathrooms 14 hours per day. It's a scare tactic; it's an attempt to equate one shitty experience with all experiences, and that is dishonest.

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

yawn...

his writing is a good but just a BIT over the top...

Its always someone else's fault and no one should ever goto law school...

If he could channel his energy into getting out of the NYC ($$$) market and making some decent contacts, maybe he wouldnt be so miserable...

and no... not everyone goes to law school with the dream of driving a Ferrari and defending OJ.. if he did, then he set himself up to fail..

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:06 am

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm

mistergoft wrote:Image

haha, that's a funny.

OP, I actually like what you wrote. It would do you some justice though to let us know where you went to school, how you did, and the price you paid. Those are very important. Regardless, if you did everything right, it sounds like you got a bad break and have a bad taste in your mouth. Are/did you working/work temp jobs because, even with the load of crap you put up with, it is still better paying than some public interest work and you owe $$$$ to sallie mae? I'm sure public interest work would be much more engaging than temp work. Maybe that's saturated, too, and temp work was all you could pull. Still too many questions.

stintez

Postby stintez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:17 pm

FYI to all of you cocky sob coming out of a top 25 school isn't so great my brothers law firm doesn't even interview most kids from top 25 schools moreover even a one of my friends who is coming out of a top 15 school says most of the kids have no or very few job offers.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm

^Anecdotal evidence FTW.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 pm

stintez wrote:FYI to all of you cocky sob coming out of a top 25 school isn't so great my brothers law firm doesn't even interview most kids from top 25 schools moreover even a one of my friends who is coming out of a top 15 school says most of the kids have no or very few job offers.

I imagine there is truth to this, but holy crap, that's a terrible run-on sentence.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:35 pm

lawschoolblows wrote:Sounds like a great job:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

and
--LinkRemoved--

I won't check, but what stops you from posting these ads yourself as a way to 'prove' your point. Has anyone checked the validity of these craigslist ads?

cwkenneth

Postby cwkenneth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 pm

OP sounds like a whinny bitch.

Here's a word of advice that doesn't require a 5,527 word diatribe against a system in which you've failed: "Life's tough, get a helmet!"

The reason why you are still shoveling elephant dung is because of your piss poor sadistic outlook on life. Maybe if you had spent the energy and time it took writing your lame column on actually doing something productive, you could have better positioned yourself for a more successful and fulfilling life. Instead, you seem unable to look past your previous mistakes, and are now stuck in a "life is unfair to me" mentality.

Anyone who decides to invest $100k + ought to know the risks involved vs. the potential return on investment. Very few people want to hear someone "cry foul" or blame their wows on the academic legal system - which is only fulfilling the demands of the consumer - because he/she made such a steep investment without doing their own research and due diligence. While I appreciate your "concern" in helping other avoid your same mistakes, I find your black and white absolutist perspective disingenuous and misleading. If you really are trying to help others avoid the pitfalls of a poor investment, your column/blog discredits your message because of the pitiful "sore looser" attitude you promulgate.

Just my two cents for what its worth.

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 pm

cwkenneth wrote:
Just my two cents for what its worth.

Very, very little.

cwkenneth

Postby cwkenneth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Here is a balanced article from The National Law Journal on this topic
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1 ... &thepage=1

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm

I can't believe so many people are saying he's a good writer.

toolfan wrote:It would do you some justice though to let us know where you went to school, how you did, and the price you paid. Those are very important.

MidlawMyth

Postby MidlawMyth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm

His work is wasted. You can't stop the lemming from jumping off the proverbial cliff.

toolfan

Postby toolfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:I can't believe so many people are saying he's a good writer.

toolfan wrote:It would do you some justice though to let us know where you went to school, how you did, and the price you paid. Those are very important.

I thought it was funny. And what would you make of his rant if he graduated from a top-20 in the top 15% of class?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:27 pm

That sort of thing almost certainly happens. But he didn't -- he mentions T2 in the first blog.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”