GW vs. UI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Skeptical Believer

GW vs. UI

Postby Skeptical Believer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 pm

I am absolutely torn between the two choices that I have boiled it down to. U. Illinois is offering a lot of money, GW not so much, and is a more expensive place to live. They are ranked about the same. One has the appeal of the capital, the other corn...hmmm I love corn. I will have to leave Chambana in the summers for internships, whereas I could easily just stay in D.C. if attending GW. At the same time, I am estimating about 70,000 more debt after graduating GW. Any ideas, advice?

Always Credited

Re: GW vs. UI

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Skeptical Believer wrote:I am absolutely torn between the two choices that I have boiled it down to. U. Illinois is offering a lot of money, GW not so much, and is a more expensive place to live. They are ranked about the same. One has the appeal of the capital, the other corn...hmmm I love corn. I will have to leave Chambana in the summers for internships, whereas I could easily just stay in D.C. if attending GW. At the same time, I am estimating about 70,000 more debt after graduating GW. Any ideas, advice?

Go to the school in the area where you prefer to live for the next 3 years at least, but more likely for the next decade.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Depends upon several factors including where do you want to practice law after graduation & how important is the difference in cost to you?

Skeptical Believer

Postby Skeptical Believer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Well, ideally I'd like to return to California, however that is most likely naive thinking. After UI, Chicago is obviously the best bet, vs. DC after GW. Both are great cities, which I have no qualms about, adding to the difficulty in my decision. Additionally, I want to practice environmental law which is far more present in DC.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Skeptical Believer wrote:Well, ideally I'd like to return to California, however that is most likely naive thinking. After UI, Chicago is obviously the best bet, vs. DC after GW. Both are great cities, which I have no qualms about, adding to the difficulty in my decision. Additionally, I want to practice environmental law which is far more present in DC.

Then you have a three-tiered decision to make:

1.) More debt vs. less debt - is this important? How important?
2.) Chicago vs. DC - where do you want to live?
3.) Which school will aid me most in practicing what I want to practice?

No one here but you can answer those questions accurately... although environmental law lends itself to government/PI work, which opens doors to Income Based Repayment, which helps to negate the debt load of a sticker-JD.

Skeptical Believer

Postby Skeptical Believer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks always credited. That is certainly a neater way rather than the sloppy pros and cons I have been attempting to make. However, still doesn't necessarily get me closet to the truth since answers to those questions are not exactly quantifiable.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Skeptical Believer wrote:Thanks always credited. That is certainly a neater way rather than the sloppy pros and cons I have been attempting to make. However, still doesn't necessarily get me closet to the truth since answers to those questions are not exactly quantifiable.

Hence the difficulty of the decision, sadly.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Skeptical Believer wrote:Well, ideally I'd like to return to California

Why can't there be a "What schools should I apply to?" forum?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”