Help!! Penn vs Michigan $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn vs Michigan $$

Penn
11%
Michigan ($23,500/year)
89%

Total votes: 44

bailey10

New

Help!! Penn vs Michigan $$

Post by bailey10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:55 pm

After a ton of thought and visits to schools, I have successfully narrowed down my law school choices to Michigan and Penn.
At this point, I have $23,500/year Dean's Scholarship to Michigan and nothing from Penn. I attempted a negotiation with Penn and mentioned my Michigan scholarship and a larger scholarship to Duke. Penn asked for copies of the offers a couple weeks ago but haven't responded. At this point, it's looking like I would be paying a lot more money to be at Penn...

Penn is a more appealing choice for me personally. I am from 1.5 hours away and have a few friends in Philly. I like Philadelphia and am familiar with it. I currently live on the west coast and think it would be a nice change to be closer to home/friends. Also I am attracted to the idea of living in a larger city as opposed to Ann Arbor. I feel like I could have more balance in my life if I were at Penn (for instance, I could hang out/live with someone not affiliated with law school at all).

I went to ASW at Michigan and liked the school. My brother is currently there for UG and loves Ann Arbor/Michigan. I felt like I could be happy there but am nervous about the weather, living alone, not knowing anyone (other than my brother), etc. I really liked the community vibe at the school but felt like it might be a little too collegiate/fratty for me.

As far as career prospects/legal interests, I am interested in public interest/human rights law (currently working full time at a non-profit)... but that could definitely change at some point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Re: Help!! Penn vs Michigan $$

Post by Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:00 pm

bailey10 wrote:After a ton of thought and visits to schools, I have successfully narrowed down my law school choices to Michigan and Penn.
At this point, I have $23,500/year Dean's Scholarship to Michigan and nothing from Penn. I attempted a negotiation with Penn and mentioned my Michigan scholarship and a larger scholarship to Duke. Penn asked for copies of the offers a couple weeks ago but haven't responded. At this point, it's looking like I would be paying a lot more money to be at Penn...

Penn is a more appealing choice for me personally. I am from 1.5 hours away and have a few friends in Philly. I like Philadelphia and am familiar with it. I currently live on the west coast and think it would be a nice change to be closer to home/friends. Also I am attracted to the idea of living in a larger city as opposed to Ann Arbor. I feel like I could have more balance in my life if I were at Penn (for instance, I could hang out/live with someone not affiliated with law school at all).

I went to ASW at Michigan and liked the school. My brother is currently there for UG and loves Ann Arbor/Michigan. I felt like I could be happy there but am nervous about the weather, living alone, not knowing anyone (other than my brother), etc. I really liked the community vibe at the school but felt like it might be a little too collegiate/fratty for me.

As far as career prospects/legal interests, I am interested in public interest/human rights law (currently working full time at a non-profit)... but that could definitely change at some point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

This is a no brainer. UM!

laweli

New

Post by laweli » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Clearly Michigan for public interest/human rights.

Look at the numbers from Equal Justice Works (http://www.ejwguide.org/):

Total enrollment: Mich 1151, Penn 781
Employed in Business and Industry: Mich 74%, Penn 85%
Employed in Government: Mich 3%, Penn 2%
Employed in Public Interest (non profit): Mich 6% Penn 2%
Employed in Judicial Clerkships: Mich 14%, Penn 9%
% of Grads in Public Service Jobs: Mich 21%, Penn 13%

And because of UM's larger size, those aren't just higher percentages, but higher overall numbers, too.

Disclosure: I'm going to Michigan in the fall (for PI).

rolark

New

Post by rolark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Michigan! As laweli pointed out, it is much, much stronger for PI (also, international law). While you might already know more people around the Philly area, you'll have a larger group of people sharing your interests at Michigan.

Also, I'm going to Michigan and I'd like as many PI people in the class as possible!

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

How cool is your younger brother? If he is a big time frat-star, he can probably plug you right in the social scene!!!!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Easiest poll ever.

JimHalpert

New

Post by JimHalpert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm curious in this poll, and although it does seem obvious, I have a question.

Do any Michigan people find not being able to stay there for their summer employment as a positive or a negative?

Also how hard was it to find a social network?

The urban vs. college town feel is a conflict I'll likely be experiencing in my own decision.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Michigan would be TCR even if $$ was equal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”