FINAL: USF ($) vs. McGeorge ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USF or McGeorge

USF ($26k)
29%
McGeorge ($75k)
71%

Total votes: 52

Great Satchmo

Silver

FINAL: USF ($) vs. McGeorge ($$)

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Whittled my options down, I'm going to ride the Hastings WL and see what Davis comes up with.

I want to stay in Northern California, ideally the Bay Area. Unsure of type of law, but policy is a strong possibility. Somewhat debt averse for a T2, but I'd be happy to pay sticker at Davis/Hastings.

- McGeorge - Sacramento isn't too bad, COL is cheap, $25k/year renewable (without stipulations) and chances to get more scholarship money.

- USF - I live in and love San Francisco, and the USF campus has been most comfortable for me (probably because it's been one of the nicer ones). I feel at home in the city, since I've been here over a year. However, the fact that it will cost me $50,000 more to go to USF makes me really wonder how much my locational preference can matter.

McGeorge offers access to Sacramento, as well as the possibility (if I do my legwork and work hard) to get back to the Bay Area. The reduction in debt, due to the guaranteed $75,000 is a big relief, and I can get scholarship on top for performance.

USF has felt like the right campus/place. However, it's going to cost $50,000 or more to attend over the, now, tied in rank McGeorge. It also seems, in speaking with people at McGeorge, that it's not out of the real of possibility to get your job after school in SF/the Bay.

EDIT: My goal is to gain employment in the Bay Area after graduation.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Re: FINAL: USF ($) vs. McGeorge ($$)

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

USF's deposit deadline is tomorrow. Let's make this happen!

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:32 pm

I voted for McGeorge. I'm in the bay area and my impression is that the employment prospects arent' that much better for USF than McGeorge (i.e. neither is seen as "great", both have to compete with Boalt/Stanford/Hastings which are viewed as significantly better). If I were you I would take the money at McGeorge, try to skimp on living expenses and graduate with as little debt as possible. But I hate debt, so I might be biased. Good luck with your decision!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 pm

For a T2, I'm certainly more debt averse.

I just ask myself: is going to USF worth $50,000 (really more when COL is compared)?

I do really want to live in the Bay Area long term, but I also don't want to end up with more debt and worse job opportunities. I feel like if I do well at McGeorge, but can't find any good work in the San Francisco area, I can at least probably find something worthwhile in Sacramento.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Why are people voting for USF? I'm curious to see what the thoughts are to substantiate the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Just send McGeorge your deposit.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:12 pm

McGeorge will get you into Sacramento, the Bay Area and other nearby cities in the central valley. Fresno 4 life. You may have a better shot at summer internships going to McGeorge because it shares Sacramento with only UC Davis.

USF will have a massively higher COL. You are surrounded by other schools and in the summer will have lots of folks coming from all around to work in San Francisco.

If you had to pay sticker at both, I would suggest USF but that's not the case.

Less debt will free up more options for you after getting your JD.

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I voted McGeorge...hands down. COL in SF will be more than double what it will be in Sac. I was really impressed when I visited McGeorge, and it was not an easy decision to choose on another school. I had these same scholarship offers and I didn't even consider USF, even though I love SF and have all my friends here... plus, it's not in a very cool area of the city. I would argue that McGeorge is a better school, but even if I thought USF was the better school, it's definitely not $50,000+ better.
Last edited by sticknbindle on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Danteshek wrote:Just send McGeorge your deposit.
Their deposit isn't due until May 1st for me, so this is really about withdrawing/letting USF's deadline pass.

I'll wait until I hear from Davis or until just before May 1st to deposit at McGeorge (who knows, maybe I'll get in and don't have to waste a deposit, although a WL is more likely).
Last edited by Great Satchmo on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm

I think this thread is confirming my thoughts that McGeorge is the right decision (and my previous thread that Cal Western and Cardozo are not the right choices).

star10

New

Post by star10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:28 pm

To me, ending up with less debt and better chances of finding a job sound a lot better to me. McGeorge does very, very, very well in Sacramento ( I can say this confidently as I am a) from Sacramento b) my Dad graduated from McGeorge). If you really want SF, it's not like you are going to some school in the Midwest and trying to end up there. Sacramento isn't that far away. When it comes down to it, USF and McGeorge grads are going to have a difficult time getting a good job in SF. In this case, less debt makes sense because all things are pretty equal. It will open up a lot more options once you graduate. Remember 50K becomes a lot more after you factor in interest and money you have to earn after taxes to pay it back.

Sure you love the city of SF and USF, but I really think law school/life is what you make of it. As long as you don't hate McGeorge, I'm sure you will end up having a great law school experience even if you don't think you will currently. I remember how devastated I was when I didn't get into UCLA for undergrad...I had wanted to go there since my Freshman year in HS. I ended up going to my "back-up" and couldn't be happier. Life has a funny way of working out.

I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this and pretty soon overwhelm/confuse the hell out of you. If anything, stay off TLS for the next two days and really think hard about all the factors involved and do what YOU feel is best...

You might even get into Davis or off the Hastings WL and this all will be moot.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

star10 wrote:To me, ending up with less debt and better chances of finding a job sound a lot better to me. McGeorge does very, very, very well in Sacramento ( I can say this confidently as I am a) from Sacramento b) my Dad graduated from McGeorge). If you really want SF, it's not like you are going to some school in the Midwest and trying to end up there. Sacramento isn't that far away. When it comes down to it, USF and McGeorge grads are going to have a difficult time getting a good job in SF. In this case, less debt makes sense because all things are pretty equal. It will open up a lot more options once you graduate. Remember 50K becomes a lot more after you factor in interest and money you have to earn after taxes to pay it back.

Sure you love the city of SF and USF, but I really think law school/life is what you make of it. As long as you don't hate McGeorge, I'm sure you will end up having a great law school experience even if you don't think you will currently. I remember how devastated I was when I didn't get into UCLA for undergrad...I had wanted to go there since my Freshman year in HS. I ended up going to my "back-up" and couldn't be happier. Life has a funny way of working out.

I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this and pretty soon overwhelm/confuse the hell out of you. If anything, stay off TLS for the next two days and really think hard about all the factors involved and do what YOU feel is best...

You might even get into Davis or off the Hastings WL and this all will be moot.

Considerations beyond "where do I want to live this moment" are coming to mind - I eventually want a family and a house, and $50k extra, plus possibly more tenuous job prospects being solely focused on SF without another market, is a bit tough to swallow.

TLS doesn't sway me from McGeorge, the negative responses to the school are generally "it's regional", but that is shared by all T2's, and it's a region I'm ok with (Nor Cal).

I think I've made the decision, I just need to let go of the other options I've been mulling over for months (USF, Cal Western or USD, etc).

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm

If you are comfortable with being stuck in the Sacramento area after law school, go with McGeorge and let the USF deadline pass. Less debt, less competition, lower COL, but...the city is less fun.

Do you have any connections in SF? If not, while(if) at McGeorge, network like mad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm

ejjones wrote:If you are comfortable with being stuck in the Sacramento area after law school, go with McGeorge and let the USF deadline pass. Less debt, less competition, lower COL, but...the city is less fun.

Do you have any connections in SF? If not, while(if) at McGeorge, network like mad.
I don't have connections in SF for law, but I figure that with a less competitive Sacramento market, I can focus a lot on making inroads with San Francisco firms/employers and still have options in Sacramento should things not pan out in SF.

My goal is to get back to the Bay Area for the long haul, but if a post-graduation job lands me in Sac for another few years, as long as it's a good job, I'll be happy to do so. Plus COL for the first job, which likely won't immediately have great pay, will help with coping with debt.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Just got a deferral granted to start Cardozo in January 2011.

As enticing as it is, I still think I have to pass. Full tuition and COL of Manhattan at Cardozo, when I already know I love the Bay Area, just doesn't seem right...as exciting as it is.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
ejjones wrote:If you are comfortable with being stuck in the Sacramento area after law school, go with McGeorge and let the USF deadline pass. Less debt, less competition, lower COL, but...the city is less fun.

I don't have connections in SF for law, but I figure that with a less competitive Sacramento market, I can focus a lot on making inroads with San Francisco firms/employers and still have options in Sacramento should things not pan out in SF.

My goal is to get back to the Bay Area for the long haul, but if a post-graduation job lands me in Sac for another few years, as long as it's a good job, I'll be happy to do so. Plus COL for the first job, which likely won't immediately have great pay, will help with coping with debt.
I don't think it will be impossible for you to make it back to the Bay Area, so like I said, if you're comfortable with being stuck in Sacramento after law school, McGeorge is the better option, IMO.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:36 pm

ejjones wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

I don't think it will be impossible for you to make it back to the Bay Area, so like I said, if you're comfortable with being stuck in Sacramento after law school, McGeorge is the better option, IMO.
I'm in agreement here.

I think the other options I play with in my mind are fun, but I think McGeorge really becomes the best choice overall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
ejjones wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

I'm in agreement here.

I think the other options I play with in my mind are fun, but I think McGeorge really becomes the best choice overall.
If you don't mind, what are your numbers?

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:42 pm

BTW, What are your career goals?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 pm

ejjones wrote:BTW, What are your career goals?
Very unclear.

I'm interested in policy, specifically public health and health care, but not completely sure.

I want to make sure what I study is interesting and challenging, but also marketable. So beyond that initial need for marketability, and some work related to public health policy, I'm very much an open book.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
ejjones wrote:BTW, What are your career goals?
Very unclear.

I'm interested in policy, specifically public health and health care, but not completely sure.

I want to make sure what I study is interesting and challenging, but also marketable. So beyond that initial need for marketability, and some work related to public health policy, I'm very much an open book.
If you're interested in policy, proximity to the capital counts for something, I would guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Good on McGeorge for no scholarship stipulations :). The $$ will pay off later as the schools aren't ranked that far apart (and the opportunities won't be either) and it sounds like you're fine with being in Sacramento.

lancerlot

New

Post by lancerlot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:29 pm

wow I'm on the same boat as you OP! Leaning on McGeorge since they offer me $$ unlike USF... haha maybe we'll be classmates soon!

star10

New

Post by star10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm surprised by how many people are stuck in the USF vs McGeorge dilemma (esp with $ from McG and zip from USF). Definitely in that boat a few weeks ago.

I find it odd that while USF and McGeorge seem to be peer schools, McGeorge is WAAAAY more generous w/ $$$$$. I guess maybe USF is counting on people who are deadset on living in SF and maybe didn't get into Hastings?

lancerlot

New

Post by lancerlot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I am very surprised too! I am prepared to put my 2nd deposit on McGeorge .. Where are you heading star10?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”