Which school is the best option for me? Please help!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is best for Corporate Law... S. FL / S. Cal

W&L
27%
UF
64%
UIUC
9%

Total votes: 11

kommatas

Which school is the best option for me? Please help!!

Postby kommatas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:58 pm

I am S. Florida, lived here my whole life. I am looking to go away for school. I have narrowed down my options to UF, UIUC, W&L. I have small schollys at UIUC (10,000 per year) and (5500) W&L.

I am confident I will do well in school, I did not do well on my LSAT and do not want to wait another cycle to get into a T14. GPA 3.91 LSAT 164.

When I finish law school I want to live in either S. Florida or California. I do not think I will be able to live in the North. I can go to school in the North because its only 3 years, but I plan on living in S. Cal or S. Fl.

I want to go into Corporate law to start off my career (mergers & acquisitions, securities & investments or investment banking) and then hopefully after making some money work for the U.S. Attorneys office or SEC. (Ultimate goal - drafting legislation for financial markets).

Every school I have listed will cost > 30,000 year in loans. I would like to know which is best for where I want to live and the types of jobs.
Last edited by kommatas on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GordonBombay

Re: What would you do?

Postby GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:02 pm

FL instate will cost you over 30k? Or does that include COL etc I guess. Tim Teabow says follow your heart

ram jam

Re: Which school is the best option for me? Please help!!

Postby ram jam » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Go to UF. I had to make the same decision, and I am also from S. Flo. It is better to pay less than get out of Florida for a couple years. None of the schools listed will get you into S. Cali without additional work. Therefore, get the best education for the cheapest price. Then if you still want Socal, try to get there. I chose FSU over other higher ranked, northern schools. Even though it would be great to study in a place other than florida for a while, the accompanying debt is not very fun.

kommatas

Re: What would you do?

Postby kommatas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:06 pm

GordonBombay wrote:FL instate will cost you over 30k? Or does that include COL etc I guess. Tim Teabow says follow your heart

Yeah, that with COL - I received my financial aid link today and it was around $33,000 total.

I wish UF would have offered me some scholarship money. I was about their 75% in both respects but did not receive any merit aid. But they are at the bottom of my list any way.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”