NLJ250 vs. USNWR outcomes Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nol607

Bronze

NLJ250 vs. USNWR outcomes

Post by nol607 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

I've had a question about this for a few weeks, hope someone can help me out.

Class of2005: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
Cardozo- 12% get NLJ250

Class of 2009: http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf
Cardozo- 20.1% get NLJ250

Now, granted, the class of 2009 may have missed the worst of the economic downturn--no denying that. So I would never argue that 1/5 Cardozo students can get it today. But doesn't this show that employment prospects improved for for Cardozo in the past several years, perhaps that it has become a viable contender in NYC? In this time period the percentage of cardozo students getting NLJ250 nearly doubled, whereas for most other schools the percent remained constant or dropped. Is there anything I'm missing??

UFMatt

Bronze

Re: NLJ250 vs. USNWR outcomes

Post by UFMatt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 am

BC, for example, seems to routinely outperform higher ranked schools in terms of big law placement. The only answer I can give is that NLJ250 placement is only part of one criterion for USNWR ranking. Faculty:student ratio, LSAT, GPA, spending, peer assessments, etc. all factor into the ranking.

Certainly if big law placement is of paramount importance, I would look at your figures rather than USNWR rankings.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:49 am

True, and it is apparent that Cardozo does not do well at all by some other measures; percent of students acquiring clerkships for example. But is it safe to say that, at least for NLJ250 jobs, Cardozo really outperforms its ranking?

I'm actually not at all interested in Biglaw, I want a judicial clerkship and PI job, just trying to get an accurate picture of what prospects are from cardozo.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:12 pm

UFMatt wrote:BC, for example, seems to routinely outperform higher ranked schools in terms of big law placement. The only answer I can give is that NLJ250 placement is only part of one criterion for USNWR ranking. Faculty:student ratio, LSAT, GPA, spending, peer assessments, etc. all factor into the ranking.

Certainly if big law placement is of paramount importance, I would look at your figures rather than USNWR rankings.
This is correct. BC raised it's LSAT median from a 164 to a 166, demonstrated competitive nlj250 and federL clerkship data, andfell two spots. Why? I'm not sure but I think it has to do with % employed at graduate with this tough economy.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I still think bc is undervalued in the usnews!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:20 pm

UFMatt wrote:BC, for example, seems to routinely outperform higher ranked schools in terms of big law placement. The only answer I can give is that NLJ250 placement is only part of one criterion for USNWR ranking. Faculty:student ratio, LSAT, GPA, spending, peer assessments, etc. all factor into the ranking.

I didn't think NLJ250 placement was one of USNWR's criteria at all...

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm

doomed123 wrote:

I didn't think NLJ250 placement was one of USNWR's criteria at all...
It isn't......... I do not know why people think this. People need to go and read the methodology.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”