WUSTL ($) or UIUC($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL ($) or UIUC($$$)

WUSTL
38%
UIUC
62%

Total votes: 58

ceceloves

WUSTL ($) or UIUC($$$)

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 am

I have been accepted to both schools with 10k/year from WUSTL and 25k/year from UIUC. I want to end up in Seattle after my three years. Which school should I go with?

mazzini

Re: WUSTL ($) or UIUC($$$)

Postby mazzini » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 am

UIUC.... neither is particularly portable to the west coast, because of that I think that you minimize the damage, financially speaking, and earn enough honors to carry you to the west coast. These are both very good schools and I think that the 15k/year is significant, especially because you will not be practicing in the midwest... take the money and perform well, that way you can market yourself on the west coast.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:20 am

Similar schools in a similar region... neither is going to make it easy to go to Seattle.
Go with the money.

ceceloves wrote:I have been accepted to both schools with 10k/year from WUSTL and 25k/year from UIUC. I want to end up in Seattle after my three years. Which school should I go with?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:22 am

Are you an Illinois resident? If so, take UIUC because that scholly will cover most of your tuition. If not, then its more of a 50/50 decision, and you should base it on "soft factors" like campus, city, and atmosphere preferences. Above poster is correct that neither have a ton of portability to the West Coast, but WUSTL probably has a bit more. Neither school is really an optimal choice for the West Coast, however.

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 am

romothesavior wrote:Are you an Illinois resident? If so, take UIUC because that scholly will cover most of your tuition. If not, then its more of a 50/50 decision, and you should base it on "soft factors" like campus, city, and atmosphere preferences. Above poster is correct that neither have a ton of portability to the West Coast, but WUSTL probably has a bit more. Neither school is really an optimal choice for the West Coast, however.

No, I am not a resident. I have family in Seattle and would like to come back. I have visited WUSTL but have not been to UIUC due to shortage in travel funds. Does anyone know how the atmosphere compares?

solrac84

Postby solrac84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 am

I'm a 2L here at Illinois. I have a really good 2L friend here at Illinois who has a job back in Portland this summer. He wasn't in the top 1/3. Not sure how much leg work he put into it.

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Anymore inputs?

mikepb

Postby mikepb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:41 pm

I am in the exact same situation as you. I have $12K per year at WUSTL and $25K per year at UIUC. I visited UIUC and wasn't blown away by the facilities but the atmosphere seemed friendly and not overly competitive. I am going to WUSTL next Thursday, hopefully my visit will help finalize my decision.

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Where do most people end up when graduating from WUSTL? Do most graduates spread out or is there a key city or two that they go to?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:42 pm

I had the exact same decision last year and I thought Illinois was a no-brainer.

However, I want to be in Chicago. Where the hell is UW? Or even USC, UCD, you name it. What happened here?

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:51 pm

DerrickRose wrote:I had the exact same decision last year and I thought Illinois was a no-brainer.

However, I want to be in Chicago. Where the hell is UW? Or even USC, UCD, you name it. What happened here?

+1
UW, SC, or any UC would give you a better chance at ending up in Seattle. Why are none of these options?

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:59 pm

For starters, neither UW nor USC accepted me. Leaving me with UC Hastings and UC Davis at sticker. I've reviewed the placement of UC Hastings/Davis/WUSTL/UIUC at top law firms in the Seattle Area (for example:Perkins Coie LLP) and have found that none have a significant advantage in placement there. In fact, there seems to be roughly the same number of individuals from each school in some of these firms. Finally, the law school costs of schools in the California area have been escalating tremendously lately (resulting in serious protests from students). Tuition has gone up at UC Davis from 21,224 in 2006 to 34,528 in 2010. I don't know if those numbers are going to stop climbing or not. Otherwise, rankings are the only thing standing in my way.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

ceceloves wrote:For starters, neither UW nor USC accepted me. Leaving me with UC Hastings and UC Davis at sticker. I've reviewed the placement of UC Hastings/Davis/WUSTL/UIUC at top law firms in the Seattle Area (for example:Perkins Coie LLP) and have found that none have a significant advantage in placement there. In fact, there seems to be roughly the same number of individuals from each school in some of these firms. Finally, the law school costs of schools in the California area have been escalating tremendously lately (resulting in serious protests from students). Tuition has gone up at UC Davis from 21,224 in 2006 to 34,528 in 2010. I don't know if those numbers are going to stop climbing or not. Otherwise, rankings are the only thing standing in my way.

That is reasonable, the UC's are outrageously expensive, the two schools you are considering might be better options given the costs. I'm surprised you didn't get into UW or USC, given that you got money from WUSTL and UIUC.

If your debt will be significantly less, I would probably go with UIUC, but I am not really familiar enough with those two schools to give you much advice.

Good luck with your decision.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:20 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Join me at UIUC.

I was also swayed by their generosity and impressive reputation in the Midwest.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Come to Illinois and save the money. You're going to get to Seattle with your own elbow grease, not with the reputation of either of your schools.

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm

That's what I figured. Regardless of the school, I'll have to start some serious leg work right away in order to get to Seattle. I love it here, but the market feels so small.

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Does anyone know what the uiuc campus and chambana are like? I'm a little worried that if I go there I might go crazy before three years are up (I come from a big city).

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 pm

ceceloves wrote:Does anyone know what the uiuc campus and chambana are like? I'm a little worried that if I go there I might go crazy before three years are up (I come from a big city).

It's nothing like a big city, that's for sure. Champaign-Urbana has about 150,000 people between the two, and there's a small downtown with some restaurants and shops, as well as a mall with a bunch of chain restaurants nearby. I would strongly advise a visit if you "might go crazy" living for 3 years in such an environment.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 pm

ceceloves wrote:Does anyone know what the uiuc campus and chambana are like? I'm a little worried that if I go there I might go crazy before three years are up (I come from a big city).

Its by no means a big city, but it depends on what you're looking for in terms of "big city".

There are lots and lots of bars, and lots and lots of 18-25 year olds. So if you're looking for the nightlife atmosphere of a young neighborhood in a big city, its not doing to disappoint too much.

If its the hustle and bustle of something new to do everyday and all that you're looking for, yeah, you're gonna go nuts.

But I will say that Illinois Law does a lot of activities and stuff, and considering law school keeps you pretty busy, you won't lack for stuff to do.

I really like it here FWIW.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:39 pm

I am turning down UIUC with a full ride, and the reason is basically that I don't want to be in Champaign. Yes, there are lots of young people and a decent nightlife, but it is still VERY much a college town. I have lived in the central Illinois area in similarly sized-towns my entire life, and I am very familiar with Champaign (big Illinois fan and football season ticket holder).

UIUC is a great school, and you probably won't be bored living there. Still, you should be prepared for the fact that it is not going to be anything like what you've ever experienced. I'm turning it down because it is exactly what I've experienced for the first 21 years of my life, and I'm ready for a change of pace.

FWIW, I'm turning down UIUC for WUSTL. I'd love for you to join me! But it is definitely a tough call.

ceceloves

Postby ceceloves » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks for the input. The question seems to have no obvious answer. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:50 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:56 pm

ceceloves wrote:Thanks for the input. The question seems to have no obvious answer. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

If you go to WUSTL you had better make sure you hang onto that coin, you'll need it.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 pm

im_blue wrote:

It's nothing like a big city, that's for sure. Champaign-Urbana has about 150,000 people between the two, and there's a small downtown with some restaurants and shops, as well as a mall with a bunch of chain restaurants nearby. I would strongly advise a visit if you "might go crazy" living for 3 years in such an environment.

I visited, and I would certainly go crazy living there for three years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”