what does everyone hate American University on this site? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bIu3b1rd

New

what does everyone hate American University on this site?

Post by bIu3b1rd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 am

I get that the price is high considering the ranking, but aside from that, why does everyone seem to bash AU around here?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Re: what does everyone hate American University on this site?

Post by NU_Jet55 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 am

Every school gets bashed on this site. It's very possible I'll be matriculating into WCL in the fall. Go Eagles!!!

bIu3b1rd

New

Post by bIu3b1rd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 am

oh and I meant to say "what does everyone hate ABOUT American University on this site?" in the thread title... I promise I know grammar!

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:40 am

I think it's just that DC is such a saturated market, and although american is respectably ranked in the grand scheme of things, there are a ton of higher ranked schools looking to break into the dc legal market.

Edit: to answer your question better.

it's not an attack on the school or quality of education, it's american's spot on the totem pole.
Last edited by jack duluoz on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 am

American is probably a great school and would be an enjoyable place to study law for three years, but the consensus on TLS is that American is a very overpriced school in a high cost-of-living city that will not offer you a good return on investment. Washington D.C. is one of the most heavily saturated markets in the country and there are three schools in the immediate D.C. area that will outperform an American degree, not to mention the fact that all the T14s will get priority as well (and probably most of the remaining T20).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bIu3b1rd

New

Post by bIu3b1rd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:46 am

romothesavior wrote:American is probably a great school and would be an enjoyable place to study law for three years, but the consensus on TLS is that American is a very overpriced school in a high cost-of-living city that will not offer you a good return on investment. Washington D.C. is one of the most heavily saturated markets in the country and there are three schools in the immediate D.C. area that will outperform an American degree, not to mention the fact that all the T14s will get priority as well (and probably most of the remaining T20).

I'm glad you mentioned T20 because I also got accepted to GW, although with no $$, and I'm currently waffling between WCL and GW. I'm still waiting on Chicago and am waitlisted at CLS, but it looks like it's really between GW and WCL.

I got a $10K at WCL and nothing at GW, but I'm focused on international law and plan on working in NYC or Europe when I'm out of school. I love WCL's study abroad programs and smattering of int law courses, and they seem to have more international connections. GW seems to have stronger connections only in the DC area, but it has a better ranking and reputation (hence this thread). Any thoughts on which would be better?

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 am

You're too late. I already made this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t=american

:mrgreen:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:49 am

bIu3b1rd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:American is probably a great school and would be an enjoyable place to study law for three years, but the consensus on TLS is that American is a very overpriced school in a high cost-of-living city that will not offer you a good return on investment. Washington D.C. is one of the most heavily saturated markets in the country and there are three schools in the immediate D.C. area that will outperform an American degree, not to mention the fact that all the T14s will get priority as well (and probably most of the remaining T20).

I'm glad you mentioned T20 because I also got accepted to GW, although with no $$, and I'm currently waffling between WCL and GW. I'm still waiting on Chicago and am waitlisted at CLS, but it looks like it's really between GW and WCL.

I got a $10K at WCL and nothing at GW, but I'm focused on international law and plan on working in NYC or Europe when I'm out of school. I love WCL's study abroad programs and smattering of int law courses, and they seem to have more international connections. GW seems to have stronger connections only in the DC area, but it has a better ranking and reputation (hence this thread). Any thoughts on which would be better?
GW was ranked too low in the last rankings and it looks like it was just a small abberation, because they're back to the T20. GW has traditionally been a T20 school (or right on the cusp of it) and I think it is your best bet for D.C. outside the T14. You're still going to have a LOT of competition from the T14 and the other T20s (Vanderbilt places decently in D.C.), but I think GW is your best bet. That scholarship from American is really not large enough to offset the difference between the schools.

bIu3b1rd

New

Post by bIu3b1rd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:50 am

phoenix323 wrote:You're too late. I already made this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... t=american

:mrgreen:

hahaha you are so right! *runs over to your thread and reads expectantly*

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 am

This.

If you want to practice in Northern Virginia -- GMU probably has dibs there
DC -- bloodbath awaits
If you want to practice in suburban MD -- I guess, but did you really go to American to be a MoCo prosecutor?

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:54 am

Insane tuition + terrible employment prospects + saturated market + high COL = unlikely to make a living wage. The lulzy "international" snakeoil they peddle shows how truly shameless they are in hoodwinking unsophisticated prospective law students.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:57 am

MidlawMyth wrote:Insane tuition + terrible employment prospects + saturated market + high COL = unlikely to make a living wage. The lulzy "international" snakeoil they peddle shows how truly shameless they are in hoodwinking unsophisticated prospective law students.
While I dunno if I would use quite that language, I would definitely echo the sentiments. International law is VERY competitive, and the opportunities are usually limited to great students from top law schools. American may have good programs or courses in international law, but it is very unlikely that these are going to lead to job opportunities for your average American student.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:03 am

Correct this 0L, but isn't "international law" essentially corporate law + ability to speak a foreign language?

Or, practicing administrative law with the State Department or UN?

Do you really need to undergo a separate "international law" specialty to do this??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bIu3b1rd

New

Post by bIu3b1rd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 am

I'd like to work in NYC or Europe because I don't want to live in DC for too long which changes my thoughts on what school is best. I'm also not excited by the prospect of working for biglaw, but I know that I'll eventually have to pay the bills somehow...

As for the relevance of an international law focus, I guess that depends on your own ideas as to what international law is, which is an entirely different and lengthy subject. But I want to study international law no matter what, and I'll see where that takes me.

MidlawMyth

New

Post by MidlawMyth » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:13 am

bIu3b1rd wrote:I'd like to work in NYC or Europe because I don't want to live in DC for too long which changes my thoughts on what school is best. I'm also not excited by the prospect of working for biglaw, but I know that I'll eventually have to pay the bills somehow...

As for the relevance of an international law focus, I guess that depends on your own ideas as to what international law is, which is an entirely different and lengthy subject. But I want to study international law no matter what, and I'll see where that takes me.
Please do more research before you drop $170K. :shock:

elle86

New

Post by elle86 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:39 pm

American's price has been a sticking point for me.

I don't know if I should go to American (sticker price so approx. 180k in debt), or go to a TTT (I got a half tuition scholly, plus very low living expenses because I will be living with my sister for free so about 60k in debt). I am interested in working for the government (I am working on the Hill right now), and I don't want to be strapped down with debt since I know the job I get out of LS will not be six figures... but American is a much better school than the TTT...

Any advice?

bIu3b1rd

New

Post by bIu3b1rd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm

elle86 wrote:American's price has been a sticking point for me.

I don't know if I should go to American (sticker price so approx. 180k in debt), or go to a TTT (I got a half tuition scholly, plus very low living expenses because I will be living with my sister for free so about 60k in debt). I am interested in working for the government (I am working on the Hill right now), and I don't want to be strapped down with debt since I know the job I get out of LS will not be six figures... but American is a much better school than the TTT...

Any advice?

Honestly, I say take the plunge and go to American... If you're thinking about going public or government, then GradPLUS loans will help you out a lot. The payment matches your salary, and if you stay in public work for 10 years, then it goes away. Look into the whole GradPLUS thing, and check and see how much of your tuition in your financial aid package is covered by that kind of loan. Also, if you want to work in DC, then I think American would give you better placement options and make you more competitive against the Georgetown, GW, GM, and UVA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 pm

bIu3b1rd wrote:

Any advice?

Honestly, I say take the plunge and go to American... If you're thinking about going public or government, then GradPLUS loans will help you out a lot. The payment matches your salary, and if you stay in public work for 10 years, then it goes away. Look into the whole GradPLUS thing, and check and see how much of your tuition in your financial aid package is covered by that kind of loan. Also, if you want to work in DC, then I think American would give you better placement options and make you more competitive against the Georgetown, GW, GM, and UVA.
American is not competitive whatsoever in any way, shape or form with UVA, GULC, and GWU in any market for any job.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Any advice?
Do not ... do NOT ... pay sticker to go to AU.

Don't do it.

It's not typically the credited response, but it is possible to get a federal job in DC with a TTT degree (depending on the TTT), especially if you already have good DC contacts. Again, it's not the recommended route, in general, but if there's that much difference in price, for your specific situation, AU at sticker ain't worth it.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:58 pm

As someone who seriously considered attending American (I love their programs and public interest focus), what it came down to for me was cost vs. employment prospects. Like what most other folks said, American is in a market dominated by more prestigious schools on top of the high tuition and DC cost of living. That said, I'd love to live and work in DC someday but I feel like I can make more budget friendly choices and still accomplish my goals.

bIu3b1rd

New

Post by bIu3b1rd » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Always Credited wrote:
bIu3b1rd wrote:

Any advice?

American is not competitive whatsoever in any way, shape or form with UVA, GULC, and GWU in any market for any job.

Oh, I know. I meant that going to American would make you more competitive than going to a TTT school. But really, it comes down to finances. If the GradPLUS thing works out, then I think it might be a good option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:07 pm

I think American can be a great choice for someone interested in government work, especially with IBR.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Teoeo wrote:I think American can be a great choice for someone interested in government work, especially with IBR.
You assume there are government jobs remaining after the T14+GWU+Vandy take their pick. If there isn't, and you can't find a PI/Gov job, then you're saddled with near insurmountable debt.

American is really a terrible law school in context.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Always Credited wrote:
Teoeo wrote:I think American can be a great choice for someone interested in government work, especially with IBR.
You assume there are government jobs remaining after the T14+GWU+Vandy take their pick. If there isn't, and you can't find a PI/Gov job, then you're saddled with near insurmountable debt.

I think you are being a little ridiculous, of course there are jobs left, I know quite a few people who work in the federal gov. who went to american.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Always Credited wrote:

What's with Vandy being thrown in? I know its a highly ranked school but are you just adding it due to rank or does it have particularly strong DC placement?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”