UNC - general thoughts?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whitman

UNC - general thoughts?

Postby whitman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:40 am

My numbers are pretty high for UNC (there, though, that doesn't mean I'll definitely get in), and I would seriously consider a big scholarship there over sticker at much higher ranked schools. I am partial to the south, dc, and east coast in general, and am interested in PI, specifically environmental PI work.

So, basically I wanted to put this topic out there. Some people seem to think UNC is way underrated, some that it is a school "on its way out." Thoughts?

whitman

Re: UNC - general thoughts?

Postby whitman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 am

Oh and I mainly brought it up now because they moved up to 28 in the leaked rankings, which seems to be more in line with their traditional ranking and closer to their peer ratings.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 am

It moved up the rankings the past 3 years (I believe) definitely 2. So I dont know what you mean by "on the way out." Though Wake is also moving up and obviously Duke is the BSD in that state

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:07 am

UNC is in no way "on the way out."

UNC has floated between around #20-35 since 1994 while Wake Forest has been between 30-44.

Here is some historical data for you:
http://www.popecenter.org/acrobat/Pope_LawSchool.pdf

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:11 am

PI in and around North Carolina, you say? I think UNC is a solid choice, then.

Brace yourself for a (probably) long, horrible application process with them, though.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:18 am

I think you really can't go wrong with any of the big three NC schools (Wake, Duke and UNC). I think they all have great qualities, and are all great schools for different things.

Long story short: I like UNC a lot. I think its USNEWS rating pretty accurately reflects it as a school, and I highly doubt it's "on its way out" (I've seen no evidence at all of this).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”