Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
StephHall
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby StephHall » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm

So, I'm trying to decide between U of I and ND and I have to decide soon. I really like both schools and they're both ranked very closely. I have $30,000 at U of I and $18,000 at ND. I'm just interested to hear any thoughts because I'm really torn right now. Thanks!

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23916
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Where do you want to work (which market)? Have you visited both schools? What are your career goals (biglaw, clerking, etc)? If we had more information, it would be easier to offer opinions. Also, consider adding a poll to the post.

Congrats on the great offers, btw!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Different environments. Corn fields, bars & darts, plus softball versus big time athletics & religion.
Depends partially upon where you want to practice law; Notre Dame's reputation is national so the degree has more portability.

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 pm

StephHall wrote:So, I'm trying to decide between U of I and ND and I have to decide soon. I really like both schools and they're both ranked very closely. I have $30,000 at U of I and $18,000 at ND. I'm just interested to hear any thoughts because I'm really torn right now. Thanks!


First, I'd put up a poll if I were you... some people won't leave comments, but you'll get a good turnout from a vote.

Illinois was one of my top four, and ND is in the top two (and is my tentative choice).

I'd recommend ND, but more specifics might help people on this site.

They are ranked very similarly... ND is slightly lower, but it has much better facilities, a better alumni network, better Big Law placement, better clerkship placement, and is slightly cheaper (although your scholarship would make up for it).

Illinois (arguably) places better in Chicago, but I bet worse elsewhere. Illinois does have a pretty cool program for getting into academia if you look on their site, and the administration there has been great on these boards (which says something about their involvement with students).

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby td6624 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:05 pm

South Bend is an absolute shithole.

fwiw

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Same offers and I just chose ND...then again, I'm an ND undergrad currently, so that could make me biased, but I very seriously considered U of I.

South Bend shouldn't be the deciding factor of where you go to school...and it is not all horrible, honestly what do you need from the town where you go to school? SB has everything I might want as a student, and I'm from a NYC bedroom community so I am used to better areas...plus low COL is always a benefit (not that it's expensive in Champaign).

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby td6624 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:08 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Same offers and I just chose ND...then again, I'm an ND undergrad currently, so that could make me biased, but I very seriously considered U of I.

South Bend shouldn't be the deciding factor of where you go to school...and it is not all horrible, honestly what do you need from the town where you go to school? SB has everything I might want as a student, and I'm from a NYC bedroom community so I am used to better areas...plus low COL is always a benefit (not that it's expensive in Champaign).


The post below mine is TCR.
Last edited by td6624 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 am

If you're an Illinois resident and you want Chicago, take UIUC. 30k is almost a full ride for in-state residents.

If you want to go elsewhere, take ND.

solrac84
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby solrac84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 am

I'm from the west coast. I'm not sure ND is more well known than Illinois back west. However, it might be different in other parts of the country. I would pick the school that offered more money. Easy decision. Both are the same. The end.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:01 pm

I went to Illinois and when I visited Notre Dame to see some friends, the undergrads did the same shit they did at Illinois. I think location is a wash.

Job placement is a big tie as well. ND does better in clerkships, they both tie in terms of placement in big law, and Illinois is better in Chicago.

I think it comes down to money. If you are getting 30K over 3 years vs 18 K over three years, the cost isn't that big of a difference. If you were completely unsure, I'd go with Illinois just for the money. But if you really like ND, 12K isn't that big of a deal over three years. But if those totals are per year, you really should go to Illinois.

Job prospects out of both are really poor right now. Debt minimization is key.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby itsmytime10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I went to Illinois and when I visited Notre Dame to see some friends, the undergrads did the same shit they did at Illinois. I think location is a wash.

Job placement is a big tie as well. ND does better in clerkships, they both tie in terms of placement in big law, and Illinois is better in Chicago.

I think it comes down to money. If you are getting 30K over 3 years vs 18 K over three years, the cost isn't that big of a difference. If you were completely unsure, I'd go with Illinois just for the money. But if you really like ND, 12K isn't that big of a deal over three years. But if those totals are per year, you really should go to Illinois.

Job prospects out of both are really poor right now. Debt minimization is key.


Desert Fox, you keep saying that job prospects are poor coming out of these schools. Do you have any proof of this? From what i have heard and seen in terms of stats these schools are still doing very well.

StephHall
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby StephHall » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks so much for all the responses! I'm interested in international law and constitutional law and am hoping to eventually work in DC, although I'm not sure yet whether or not I want to work in the public or private sector. The scholarships I posted are annual (18,000/30,000 per year). I've visited both schools and I really like both of them, which makes it a lot harder. The facilities at ND are second to none, but I prefer Champaign to South Bend.

Mary4404
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby Mary4404 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:58 pm

It's been six years since this post but I am currently choosing between these schools. Would you still say they are peer schools? Would you say the scandal UIUC in 2013 has hurt graduates trying to work in Chicago? I am hoping to work in the Midwest region. Originally from Michigan but fine not going back.
I received 30k from ND and 96k from UIUC. However ND has always been a dream school for me. I'm still wait listed at NU.
Not sure if anyone will read this but figured I would give it a shot. My fiancé wants me to go with UIUC because of the low debt. But I think I could get better internships and a better job from ND. Opinions please!

User avatar
jlk411
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby jlk411 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Mary4404 wrote:It's been six years since this post but I am currently choosing between these schools. Would you still say they are peer schools? Would you say the scandal UIUC in 2013 has hurt graduates trying to work in Chicago? I am hoping to work in the Midwest region. Originally from Michigan but fine not going back.
I received 30k from ND and 96k from UIUC. However ND has always been a dream school for me. I'm still wait listed at NU.
Not sure if anyone will read this but figured I would give it a shot. My fiancé wants me to go with UIUC because of the low debt. But I think I could get better internships and a better job from ND. Opinions please!


My vote is ND, higher ranking and more well known. Also, had a great experience with their administration fwiw.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby emkay625 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Consider making a new thread and a poll—lots of people probably pull this up and don't bother to respond because the OP is six years old

User avatar
Pomeranian
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby Pomeranian » Thu May 12, 2016 4:23 pm

They are essentially peer schools, with UIUC having an edge in Chicago and ND a little more national portability.

Also, your fiancé is right to be wary about ND... 30k From ND would mean having to pay back 200K+ (including COL) in loans for Notre Dame Law, which makes it NOT worth it.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby cron1834 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Mary4404 wrote:It's been six years since this post but I am currently choosing between these schools. Would you still say they are peer schools? Would you say the scandal UIUC in 2013 has hurt graduates trying to work in Chicago? I am hoping to work in the Midwest region. Originally from Michigan but fine not going back.
I received 30k from ND and 96k from UIUC. However ND has always been a dream school for me. I'm still wait listed at NU.
Not sure if anyone will read this but figured I would give it a shot. My fiancé wants me to go with UIUC because of the low debt. But I think I could get better internships and a better job from ND. Opinions please!

Post total/bottom-line COAs including interest, tuition increases, and not-conservative cost of living... not just scholarship amounts.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Ha, that's funny to see that I posted on this thread as a 0L.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11952
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Notre Dame vs. University of Illinois help please

Postby Rigo » Thu May 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Mary4404 wrote:It's been six years since this post but I am currently choosing between these schools. Would you still say they are peer schools? Would you say the scandal UIUC in 2013 has hurt graduates trying to work in Chicago? I am hoping to work in the Midwest region. Originally from Michigan but fine not going back.
I received 30k from ND and 96k from UIUC. However ND has always been a dream school for me. I'm still wait listed at NU.
Not sure if anyone will read this but figured I would give it a shot. My fiancé wants me to go with UIUC because of the low debt. But I think I could get better internships and a better job from ND. Opinions please!

Your fiancé is right. Make your own thread for more personalized answers though.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests