Showdown... University of Notre Dame vs WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
byunbee

Re: Showdown... University of Notre Dame vs WUSTL

Postby byunbee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:Thanks for all the posts again,

I plan on going into patent law on the west coast (although open to nyc)...

In addition, the total difference in scholarship money over 3 years will make ND 24K cheaper.

Also, I am from a very large city and don't particularly like the idea of living in a small town.

Does that give an edge to one of these schools??

West Coast? Why don't I see USC on this list? Or Hastings/Davis/Irvine?

It's possible he didn't get into USC or didn't apply, it seems like OP wasn't too sure where he wanted to end up practicing. I'm not sure Hastings/Davis are good choices if OP isn't sure about Cal.

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Sorry for not being clear. I do plan to practice in cali but I want to have as much mobility as possible. I am waiting on USC it is my dream school. I got into to Hastings with no $. I also got into uci but I am not sure I want to enroll in a school ten miles from my house. I'm also not sold on the school yet.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Sorry for not being clear. I do plan to practice in cali but I want to have as much mobility as possible. I am waiting on USC it is my dream school. I got into to Hastings with no $. I also got into uci but I am not sure I want to enroll in a school ten miles from my house. I'm also not sold on the school yet.

I understand not wanting to stay so close, but UCI is a hell of an opportunity.

If you want to practice in Cali, don't leave the state, especially as far as WUSTL or ND.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:53 pm

I got back from my WUSTL visit last week and I was at the ND March ASD. I didnt attend either school for UG.

Reputation- Notre Dame. ND has branded itself as one of the top U.S. schools and no matter where you are someone has heard of and respects the school. Although with peer reputation WUSTL might barely win over ND just because of a ranking bias.
QOL Notre Dame- We can argue through the night, but St. Louis offers more than South Bend off campus. But they do not compare with on-campus life. Notre Dame wins w/ organized sports, law student's building, tailgates, and scenery

Job Prospects WUSTL - Wustl seems to be working with students on a more personal level and securing position regionally very well. Also, they have the st. louis market to fall back on. ND's national reach beats WUSTL as well as their alumni network. Chicago is a tie.
babes ND- my demographic sampling was mainly of UG, but ND kills Wustl.
Extracurriculars ND- although WUSTL gains points for the guaranteed clinics, and each school has great moot court/journals, ND's london law program, whether it be summer or full year, gets the win in this section
Overall-?- You be the judge, each prospective student has their own needs in a legal education. Your education will be great at both schools so I suggest visiting both or at least spending alot of time on the phone with current students and staff. Current students are brutally honest and helpful.

notme

Postby notme » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Personally, I would have choosen ND over WUSTL regardless, but for CA, its not even close. To some degree, I can see the ND v. WUSTL debate for the midwest or east coast - scholarship money, presonal preferences, etc. But for CA, only someone with no appreciation for the market here could recommend WUSTL. ND has a reputation here, and WUSTL is pretty much unknown. I also chose ND over Hastings and Davis, and did not consider UCI because I thought the risks outweighed the potential benefits. It will probably turn out to be a great school, but I would be hesitant to risk my legal career on it when you have a guaranteed future at ND.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:32 pm

I think they are a wash in just about every category. ND may have slightly more national prestige, while WUSTL has better QOL. If you will save significantly more money to go to one school as opposed to the other, go there.

(I should note that I am attending WUSTL next fall)

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 am

notme wrote:Personally, I would have choosen ND over WUSTL regardless, but for CA, its not even close. To some degree, I can see the ND v. WUSTL debate for the midwest or east coast - scholarship money, presonal preferences, etc. But for CA, only someone with no appreciation for the market here could recommend WUSTL. ND has a reputation here, and WUSTL is pretty much unknown. I also chose ND over Hastings and Davis, and did not consider UCI because I thought the risks outweighed the potential benefits. It will probably turn out to be a great school, but I would be hesitant to risk my legal career on it when you have a guaranteed future at ND.

Sound advice (maybe what i wanted to hear) thanks!!

doezthewustl

Postby doezthewustl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:10 am

i have average grades and had no problem getting offers paying market in CA in this economy, but i have ties

Postby 20160810 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:40 am

this decision would take me 30 seconds to make

0.1 seconds to pick ND, 29.9 to smugly think about how right I was to do so

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:41 am

doezthewustl wrote:i have average grades and had no problem getting offers paying market in CA in this economy, but i have ties
Have you noticed patent types in general having a gentler experience with OCI and the like at WUSTL?

rickter

Postby rickter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 am

IMHO, Notre Dame is one of the most well known and respected universities in the entire world. The obvious and even subtle benefits that come along with that are more than worth any extra cost over WUSTL, which is obviously a great school in its own right.

In every single one of your categories except maybe Quality of life (in terms of socializing, st. louis is obviously much bigger and more dynamic than south bend) Notre Dame is the winner

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 am

The intangibles of ND and the ferocious undying loyalty of the broad-based alumni network, including internationally, are not directly measured in the rankings. In my mind they raise ND into the T20, and the note on high-profile clerkships shouldn't be ignored in terms of the school's overall prestige.

The downside is there is little/no legal legal market and the faculty resources are not among the best. But you've got a beautiful area, a new building and the ND name, on a high-ranked school. If it's cheaper, to boot? Easy call...

doezthewustl

Postby doezthewustl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:27 am

stratocophic wrote:Have you noticed patent types in general having a gentler experience with OCI and the like at WUSTL?

yes, a lot gentler

RayFinkle

Postby RayFinkle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am

vanstone22 wrote:babes ND- my demographic sampling was mainly of UG, but ND kills Wustl.

What good does this do you at ND though? You gotta get a ring on their finger before you can even go out to a non-church sponsored event!

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:17 pm

rickter wrote:IMHO, Notre Dame is one of the most well known and respected universities in the entire world.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:17 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
rickter wrote:IMHO, Notre Dame is one of the most [strike]well known and respected[/strike] overrated universities in the entire world.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 pm

doezthewustl wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Have you noticed patent types in general having a gentler experience with OCI and the like at WUSTL?

yes, a lot gentler
*sigh of relief* Gracias. I suppose it won't be as easy for an ME, but I'll take what I can get.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:42 pm

OP, I would be a little concerned about ND if your plan is patent law. Looking at their course listing, I saw very few classes for IP.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Image

TITCR

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm

...but seriously, this is a very good matchup. I think ND has a very slight edge on national portability and/or prestige.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm

thinkbig wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:Image

TITCR
For West Coast aspirations? No. Midwest? debatable. Chicago only? Definitely, if it's cheaper than the other two.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm

UFMatt wrote:OP, I would be a little concerned about ND if your plan is patent law. Looking at their course listing, I saw very few classes for IP.

titcr

WashU > ND for ip law.

/thread

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:12 pm

RayFinkle wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:babes ND- my demographic sampling was mainly of UG, but ND kills Wustl.

What good does this do you at ND though? You gotta get a ring on their finger before you can even go out to a non-church sponsored event!

100% not credited.

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
rickter wrote:IMHO, Notre Dame is one of the most [strike]well known and respected[/strike] overrated universities in the entire world.

Thank you, Notre Dame Blows. Most overrated school by far in the US, and its not even close.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”