NU Law & the saga of low assessment score ... continues

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DVZfan

NU Law & the saga of low assessment score ... continues

Postby DVZfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 pm

I don't know if the other law schools just hate on Dean Van Zandt or what but Northwestern Law's ranking is annually handicapped by their assessment scores (lowest of all T14 schools).

Dean Van Zandt for all his innovation has yet to resolve the stigma against Northwestern Law ...

Re: NU Law & the saga of low assessment score ... continues

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:13 pm

DVZfan

Postby DVZfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Image

Haters making NU Law look like a non T14 school!

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

DVZfan wrote:

Haters making NU Law look like a non T14 school![/quote]

As long as it places like one I could care less what US New and World Report says about it.

DVZfan

Postby DVZfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
DVZfan wrote:

Haters making NU Law look like a non T14 school!

As long as it places like one I could care less what US New and World Report says about it.[/quote]

Yes it places well enough but it doesn't place THAT well especially in the V50 firms

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 pm

DVZfan wrote:Yes it places well enough but it doesn't place THAT well especially in the V50 firms

Sure, HYS,CCN are clearly better, but it holds its own against the rest.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:35 pm

I think it's part aesthetics and part pique at the implication that they need to do more to serve students.

Plus both lawyers and academics have a conservative temperament and distrust change and risk. Most law firms still print out enormous volumes of paper, even if they just keep it unread in a file room somewhere. They even print out emails to keep paper copies that nobody will ever read.

DVZfan

Postby DVZfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
DVZfan wrote:Yes it places well enough but it doesn't place THAT well especially in the V50 firms

Sure, HYS,CCN are clearly better, but it holds its own against the rest.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

I think NU definitely out classes the likes of Cornell ... but I mean to have such crap scores compared to the likes of Berkley ... I just don't get what NU Law is doing wrong?

DVZfan

Postby DVZfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:40 pm

NayBoer wrote:I think it's part aesthetics and part pique at the implication that they need to do more to serve students.

Plus both lawyers and academics have a conservative temperament and distrust change and risk. Most law firms still print out enormous volumes of paper, even if they just keep it unread in a file room somewhere. They even print out emails to keep paper copies that nobody will ever read.

aesthetics? explain please!

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 pm

NayBoer wrote:I think it's part aesthetics and part pique at the implication that they need to do more to serve students.

Also NU wasn't any better than Gtown a decade or two ago, from what I hear. Reputation is a very lagging indicator.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Aesthetics, as in Northwestern has a business-like reputation. Part of it is the close connection to Kellogg and the JDMBA program that lets you use only the GMAT. And DVZ just wrote an op-ed on rankings where he compared law schools unfavorably to business schools in several ways. I think it's great to look to related industries to see what ideas to use, but academia is kind of stuffy and pretentious, and the MBA is seen as one of the least intellectually challenging degrees available.

Plus B-school has an association with acquisitiveness and filthy lucre. Though that's probably not a huge factor here since every law school that can loves to brag about a $160k median salary.

Desert Fox wrote:Also NU wasn't any better than Gtown a decade or two ago, from what I hear. Reputation is a very lagging indicator.
Yeah, true. Lay people are sometimes surprised that Northwestern is solidly ranked above GULC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”