Who really thinks Davis deserves 14 places ahead of Hastings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gatorlion

Re: Who really thinks Davis deserves 14 places ahead of Hastings

Postby gatorlion » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Admitted at UCD in early Feb, WL at Hastings mid March so....

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:30 pm

gatorlion wrote:Admitted at UCD in early Feb, WL at Hastings mid March so....

Maybe Davis = GPA and Hastings = LSAT

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Everyone needs to chill. Swheat, count to 10 and take some deep breaths brah.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 pm

sticknbindle wrote:As far as I can tell, Davis is much harder to get into than Hastings this cycle. I'm still pending at Davis and was admitted fairly early at Hastings. I'm sure this bump in rankings will inspire more people to pay sticker there... which is insane. Based on it's reputation in San Francisco, I'd say that Hastings is viewed as a bit of a sinking ship... Of all the lawyers and students I have contact with, nobody says much about Davis, but they probably have a bit more upside. In the end, they're both just overpriced UC's.

+1

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:33 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
eth3n wrote:
swheat wrote:Brilliant analogy. Only in your example, there are no real world consequences to who has a bigger penis size. It's freaking hard to land a legal job in California right now, and based on some lies and manipulations, my odds might have just dropped a little lower.

#1 - Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?
#2 - The biggest factor in getting a job will still be getting good grades, which is entirely in your control.
#3 - Its moot, so maybe you should worry about finals...

r2b2ct wrote:I am a little concerned about Hastings' relative incompetence at gaming the rankings.

lol XD

+1

Oh dude let me tell you I got inside access to the careers office files at Davis...

No...the only evidence we have so far is that Davis is claiming vast improvements in employment rates over the last 3-4 years. As we all know, these last 3-4 years have not been kind on the legal profession

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm

swheat wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
eth3n wrote:
swheat wrote:Brilliant analogy. Only in your example, there are no real world consequences to who has a bigger penis size. It's freaking hard to land a legal job in California right now, and based on some lies and manipulations, my odds might have just dropped a little lower.

#2 - The biggest factor in getting a job will still be getting good grades, which is entirely in your control.

r2b2ct wrote:I am a little concerned about Hastings' relative incompetence at gaming the rankings.

lol XD

+1

Oh dude let me tell you I got inside access to the careers office files at Davis...

No...the only evidence we have so far is that Davis is claiming vast improvements in employment rates over the last 3-4 years. As we all know, these last 3-4 years have not been kind on the legal profession

And this ^ is all just speculation. So making statements like "based on some lies and manipulations" is rather disingenuous and makes your argument hard to take seriously.

They are just rankings. Calm down. If you excel in school, your jobs prospects will not be harmed by the 14 point difference.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm

swheat wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:
eth3n wrote:

lol XD

+1

Do you really think that the change in rankings will affect employment that much for Hastings graduates, when there are so many out there and the relationships with employers are well-traveled?

If I get off the Hastings WL, I'll have no more compunction depositing now than I would have before the ranking change. Hastings is still in the same relative position in San Francisco that it was before.

Plus, I can only imagine that Hastings has got to be making some plans and efforts to start moving back up in the rankings. Should these efforts be extensive, then you will benefit a lot.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:00 pm

USNWR is still probably punishing Hastings for their reporting mess up back in the day. They were a t25 back then and it looks like USNWR is using Hastings as an example of what will happen to you if you f with them.......

I just can't believe that Davis is even considered a peer school, let alone better than Hastings, a (at least in the past) very prestigeous CA law school.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:04 pm

[quote="Great Satchmo"]
I don't think the short term job prospects will change, but I think long term it's a sinking ship. Undeservedly so.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Both are overrated. Hastings and Davis would be solid tier 2 schools on the east coast.

Discuss.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

A'nold wrote:USNWR is still probably punishing Hastings for their reporting mess up back in the day. They were a t25 back then and it looks like USNWR is using Hastings as an example of what will happen to you if you f with them.......

I just can't believe that Davis is even considered a peer school, let alone better than Hastings, a (at least in the past) very prestigeous CA law school.

Yeah I agree. But at one point Willamette was the most prestigious university on the west coast.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. I was too busy attending my top-30 law school.

8)

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. I was too busy attending my top-30 law school.

8)

Enjoy your "academic support counselor" career ! :D (or maybe they will let you mop the cowshit out of the hallways)

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:45 pm

erniesto wrote:Both are overrated. Hastings and Davis would be solid tier 2 schools on the east coast.

Discuss.

... No.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:46 pm

holybartender wrote:
erniesto wrote:Both are overrated. Hastings and Davis would be solid tier 2 schools on the east coast.

Discuss.

... No.

+10000

a. Flame
b. Moron
c. all of the above

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:47 pm

holybartender wrote:

Discuss.

... No.

Totally well-supported statement. It's not like anyone from East Coast schools come out to work in SF or LA.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
holybartender wrote:

Discuss.

... No.

Totally well-supported statement. It's not like anyone from East Coast schools come out to work in SF or LA.

I'm not really sure which side you're arguing.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Teoeo wrote:
holybartender wrote:

Discuss.

... No.

+10000

a. Flame
b. Moron
c. all of the above

that's the "UC Davistings" guy

he really hates the UC Davis and Hastings for various reasons

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. I was too busy attending my top-30 law school.

8)

The higher the ranking the more decibels created by attendance?

oopivyoo

Postby oopivyoo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Once again, what is the deal with all these debates about Hastings v. Davis? Hastings needs a new rival. Hastings v. Pepperdine? Hastings v. USD? Don't hate. Pepperdine and USD are very respectable schools. And if they need a rival a little closer I suggest Hastings v. Santa Clara.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:09 pm

oopivyoo wrote:Once again, what is the deal with all these debates about Hastings v. Davis? Hastings needs a new rival. Hastings v. Pepperdine? Hastings v. USD? Don't hate. Pepperdine and USD are very respectable schools. And if they need a rival a little closer I suggest Hastings v. Santa Clara.

You are right....since Davis is basically a "peer" of Berkeley and Stanford these days. No wait check that, BETTER than Boalt actually.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 pm

I love this thread.

just sayin'!

Postby 20160810 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Cleareyes wrote:

8)

The higher the ranking the more decibels created by attendance?

Yes. Therefore I sincerely hope you are wearing earplugs sir.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:38 pm

swheat wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:I don't think the short term job prospects will change, but I think long term it's a sinking ship. Undeservedly so.

That assumes that Hastings will continue to drop...I doubt it.

People on TLS have mentioned they've heard that Hastings has intentions to lower class sized and make some other changes.

I just can't imagine that Hastings will drop much more before moving back up some spots.

Still, San Francisco has had a LOT of Hastings graduates go to work in firms and at courthouses. I can't imagine that the relative position of Hastings will change. The employers know the quality of a Hastings graduate, and have known this for a long time. To think the employers are going to ignore the longstanding relationship with the school is being shortsighted.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm

WTF man stop crying, the rankings don't matter that low....if you want sf go to Hastings, if u want sac and surrounding go to Davis. The op sounds like an idiot who is basing his success on the ranking of his school that's obviously not gonna help him..go do some work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”