Who really thinks Davis deserves 14 places ahead of Hastings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Teoeo

Silver

Re: Who really thinks Davis deserves 14 places ahead of Hastings

Post by Teoeo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Where are you guys seeing this?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Teoeo wrote:
swheat wrote:
Teoeo wrote:is anyone else confused? where did you get the 14 places from
Hastings = #42
Davis = # 28

42-28 = 14
I didnt know the new rankings were out
Check em out here -- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=114393

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:47 pm

LOL Davis being ranked 14 spots ahead of Hastings is ALMOST as dumb as some of the posts in this thread.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:03 pm

davis3l wrote:LOL Davis being ranked 14 spots ahead of Hastings is ALMOST as dumb as some of the posts in this thread.
Thanks for your input :)

Can you share any insight on how it is that your school has managed to place 97% of its graduates in a state DECIMATED by layoffs in the legal sector?

Their reported figure is HIGHER than Boalt and just behind Stanford. Credible?

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:15 pm

and next year our passage rate will jump from the 79.9 shown there to 90, and we get new facilities that basically double the size of the law school...man, i would LOL if we ever broke t25

---

and to be fair, I know some 08' grads are working public-sector/gov without pay or under goverment IOU atm, although I can't imagine there are too many of those

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm currently trying to decide between Davis and Hastings (and UMN and Temple) and I must say that this is another factor to take into consideration. Not because of this year per se, but for the past 15 years or so the schools seem to be heading in different dfirections. Hastings was once a T20 and now it's not even a T40, while Davis continues to rise. I think that Davis' smaller class sizes give it an edge.

Also, after visiting Davis I must say that it's not that bad of a town. I'm very urban and never thought that I'd pick Hastings over Davis because of location. Davis definitely isn't San Francisco, but it is a very nice town with a lot of great restaurants. I definitely wouldn't mind it for a few years. Plus, think of all the $ one can save by living there instead of SF for a few years. I'm still not committed to Davis, but I'm starting to lean that way.

I should add (and you can look at my posting history) that I was gung-ho as hell on Hastings. To discuss Hastings is why I essentially joined this board and it was my dream school for quite some time. However, I'm starting to lean Davis.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:17 am

FWIW Hastings still beats out Davis in this year's Helmholtz rankings:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=114501

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 am

Davis' 2010 rankings employed at graduation = 97%
Davis' 2009 rankings employed at graduation = 86%
Davis' 2007 rankings employed at graduation = 78%

So as the economy gets worse, DAVIS GETS BETTER

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 am

swheat wrote:Davis' 2010 rankings employed at graduation = 97%

Why are you so butt hurt?

I doubt they are lying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Teoeo wrote:

I doubt they are lying.
I don't share swheat's "butt hurt" but you do have to admit that it's strange and counter-intuitive
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:04 pm

looks like 'davis3L' couldnt take the heat

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:44 pm

WOW! That is a bit fishy.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Borhas wrote:
Teoeo wrote:

I doubt they are lying.
I don't share swheat's "butt hurt" but you do have to admit that it's strange and counter-intuitive
These numbers can easily be gamed if the percentage reporting post graduation whereabouts drops. Just sayin'. I think Hastings and Davis are peers, and I prefer Hastings myself, because San Francisco is all kinds of awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:53 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:San Francisco is all kinds of awesome.

giraffe28

New

Post by giraffe28 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Went to Davis for undergrad, am from a big city, and have always considered myself a big city girl. Going to Davis as an undergrad was more my parents choice than mine and I was initially devastated at the prospect. Look, I can't comment on the numbers but I can comment on the quality of life. Davis has a lot more to offer than just "cowshit" and if you think like that you're being quite closeminded. And it's very incorrect to assume that Davis grads would be more likely to take jobs in crappy places bc they went to Davis- anyone who has spent any period of time in Davis knows that it is amazing, and I certainly wouldn't head to a farmtown after LS. There's always somethign to do, it's safe, there's a strong sense of community, everyone is highly educated, the restaurants are amazing, and it is somehwere that can easily feel like home. As an undergrad I worked in Sacramento and Davis is very well respected there and has a strong presence. If you disagree, go spend an extended period of time at Davis then offer your two cents. Obviously it's not for everyone, but nowhere is! Being bitter about davis being ranked 14 spots isn't going to change anything. And for the record, I am considering both schools.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:36 pm

The 14 places in the rankings is based on a gap of 4 points (UC-Davis 63, UC-Hastings 59). If you rephrased the questions as "Who really thinks Davis deserves 4 points higher than Hastings" it takes some of the bite out doesn't it?

If my penis is half a centimeter longer than yours it would rank thousands of places higher in the penis length rankings. Which sounds great until you realize you're arguing over who has the bigger dick. Even more so when you realize neither of you has a very impressive penis size...

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:50 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
If my penis is half a centimeter longer than yours it would rank thousands of places higher in the penis length rankings. Which sounds great until you realize you're arguing over who has the bigger dick. Even more so when you realize neither of you has a very impressive penis size...
LMAO

Your subtle, metaphorical t14 trolling is impressive and witty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:The 14 places in the rankings is based on a gap of 4 points (UC-Davis 63, UC-Hastings 59). If you rephrased the questions as "Who really thinks Davis deserves 4 points higher than Hastings" it takes some of the bite out doesn't it?

Brilliant analogy. Only in your example, there are no real world consequences to who has a bigger penis size. It's freaking hard to land a legal job in California right now, and based on some lies and manipulations, my odds might have just dropped a little lower. I wish that employers didn't care about rankings, but unfortunately they do. The legal field is eaten up with concern over prestige. Firms don't even care how talented their employees are; they only want to have a 'prestigious pedigree' to attract prestigious clients. I wish that it wasn't this way, but that's the reality of it. Given the nature of the beast, there needs to be a higher accountability in these rankings. Schools like Hastings should stop being honest and just go ahead and claim 100% employment.

r2b2ct

Bronze

Post by r2b2ct » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

I am a little concerned about Hastings' relative incompetence at gaming the rankings.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:36 pm

swheat wrote:Brilliant analogy. Only in your example, there are no real world consequences to who has a bigger penis size. It's freaking hard to land a legal job in California right now, and based on some lies and manipulations, my odds might have just dropped a little lower.
#1 - Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?
#2 - The biggest factor in getting a job will still be getting good grades, which is entirely in your control.
#3 - Its moot, so maybe you should worry about finals...
r2b2ct wrote:I am a little concerned about Hastings' relative incompetence at gaming the rankings.

lol XD

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

r2b2ct wrote:I am a little concerned about Hastings' relative incompetence at gaming the rankings.
So am I. Maybe I should make some recommendations to the careers office.

Ethan -- maybe you should worry about finals too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 pm

swheat wrote:
So am I. Maybe I should make some recommendations to the careers office.

Ethan -- maybe you should worry about finals too.
man im over finals, but i appreciate you having my back :D

good luck!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:10 pm

eth3n wrote:
swheat wrote:Brilliant analogy. Only in your example, there are no real world consequences to who has a bigger penis size. It's freaking hard to land a legal job in California right now, and based on some lies and manipulations, my odds might have just dropped a little lower.
#1 - Do you have any evidence to back up that claim?
#2 - The biggest factor in getting a job will still be getting good grades, which is entirely in your control.
#3 - Its moot, so maybe you should worry about finals...

lol XD
+1

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm

As far as I can tell, Davis is much harder to get into than Hastings this cycle. I'm still pending at Davis and was admitted fairly early at Hastings. I'm sure this bump in rankings will inspire more people to pay sticker there... which is insane. Based on it's reputation in San Francisco, I'd say that Hastings is viewed as a bit of a sinking ship... Of all the lawyers and students I have contact with, nobody says much about Davis, but they probably have a bit more upside. In the end, they're both just overpriced UC's.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:24 pm

sticknbindle wrote:As far as I can tell, Davis is much harder to get into than Hastings this cycle. I'm still pending at Davis and was admitted fairly early at Hastings. I'm sure this bump in rankings will inspire more people to pay sticker there... which is insane. Based on it's reputation in San Francisco, I'd say that Hastings is viewed as a bit of a sinking ship... Of all the lawyers and students I have contact with, nobody says much about Davis, but they probably have a bit more upside. In the end, they're both just overpriced UC's.
+1

I was admitted // offered money at hastings (merit) early on, and I was waitlisted at Davis

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”