Brooklyn vs. St. John's Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick

Brooklyn
36%
St. John's
64%

Total votes: 14

ligirl

New

Brooklyn vs. St. John's

Post by ligirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:24 pm

So Brooklyn dropped in the rankings and St. John's moved up quite a bit.. did I make a mistake in choosing Brooklyn over St. John's? Or does it not really matter..

If it helps I have full tuition to St. John's and 32K to Brooklyn.

Help :\

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn vs. St. John's

Post by Mr. Pablo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 pm

I doubt it matters that much.

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Well, it would have been a mistake if you had chosen Brooklyn at sticker. You are paying around 36k more over 3 years to go to Brooklyn, which is a lot of money, but not enough that I would be freaking out right now if I was you.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 am

St. Johns, because of $$. Especially given the new rankings, I'm not sure NYC firms see much of a difference between the two. It's going to depend more on your grades and networking than anything else, at either school.

If it makes any difference, I work with a St. Johns attorney who is making over $400k/year in Manhattan as a 40 year old. It can be done.

green_esqs_n_ham

New

Post by green_esqs_n_ham » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am

St. John's 3L here. I don't think I applied to Brooklyn, although I can't remember. I chose St. John's over several much higher ranked schools due to personal reasons, so I think my viewpoints on school rankings differ from the norm.

I wouldn't trust any of the career statistics reported by either school. I would also assume that you will be placed in the loaded scholarship section. I don't have solid evidence on either, but from this side of things, it is clear from anecdotes that there is manipulation that goes on in both instances.

I don't think the change in rankings matters at all in reality. You chose Brooklyn because you liked the school, don't second-guess yourself because of a slight change in some fairly arbitrary ranking system. I actually wish I had given Brooklyn a more serious look, but can't remember why I didn't. I know some great attorneys from there. Also, the borough is just exciting right now, so it should be a great experience for you.

For what it's worth, I lost my full scholarship after 1L. I'm not bitter about it and know I didn't put in the necessary effort, but remember that it does happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”