HELP! Univ. of Washington vs. CU vs. BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PlugInBaby

Bronze

Re: HELP! Univ. of Washington vs. CU vs. BC

Post by PlugInBaby » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 am

I really liked sitting in a class at UW. What stuck out to me there is that the students are very sharp and very interested in the subject matter. It felt like a place where I could just as much from my peers as I could the professors. Now only if my first LSAT score didn't relatively stink (goes back to reading logic games bible).

nalador

New

Post by nalador » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 am

I am in a similar dilemma to this one. I am wondering if UWashington grads have difficulty entering the California market. I realize it's sphere is probably the Pacific Northwest, but wondered if any of you know how it plays in California.

Thanks-

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm

nalador wrote:I am in a similar dilemma to this one. I am wondering if UWashington grads have difficulty entering the California market. I realize it's sphere is probably the Pacific Northwest, but wondered if any of you know how it plays in California.

Thanks-
What schools in CA are you considering? I have heard from a few current students, that some UW grads have actually had better luck landing biglaw jobs in CA than in Seattle, but I can't say how reliable that is. Here is a list of employers for the class of 2008, there are quite a few people who ended up in CA: http://www.law.washington.edu/career/2008employers.aspx

Personally, I would seriously consider UW over Davis or Hastings if northern CA was where I hoped to end up, just because it is so much less expensive, but I don't know that I would make that choice if I weren't also ok with the idea of ending up in the NW after graduation. I would definitely take UW over any non-T14 (maybe Texas too) outside of CA if my goal was to end up in CA.

nalador

New

Post by nalador » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:56 pm

One more question that comes up in considering UW or any school on the quarter system. Does this negatively impact summer opportunities or do they have a way of compensating for this? Also is it more difficult to be taking exams more often? It seems like this would be a disadvantage and I've yet to read anyone say it has worked better for them, but maybe there are advantages. Any thoughts?

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:30 pm

nalador wrote:One more question that comes up in considering UW or any school on the quarter system. Does this negatively impact summer opportunities or do they have a way of compensating for this? Also is it more difficult to be taking exams more often? It seems like this would be a disadvantage and I've yet to read anyone say it has worked better for them, but maybe there are advantages. Any thoughts?
Some 2Ls and 3Ls do a compressed spring quarter - 6 weeks instead of 10.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 pm

jcl2 wrote:
nalador wrote:I am in a similar dilemma to this one. I am wondering if UWashington grads have difficulty entering the California market. I realize it's sphere is probably the Pacific Northwest, but wondered if any of you know how it plays in California.

Thanks-
What schools in CA are you considering? I have heard from a few current students, that some UW grads have actually had better luck landing biglaw jobs in CA than in Seattle, but I can't say how reliable that is. Here is a list of employers for the class of 2008, there are quite a few people who ended up in CA: http://www.law.washington.edu/career/2008employers.aspx

Personally, I would seriously consider UW over Davis or Hastings if northern CA was where I hoped to end up, just because it is so much less expensive, but I don't know that I would make that choice if I weren't also ok with the idea of ending up in the NW after graduation. I would definitely take UW over any non-T14 (maybe Texas too) outside of CA if my goal was to end up in CA.
UW probably is the best non-T14 school outside of California to get you a job there. But it'd still be tough and certainly harder than if you went to Davis/Hastings.

See here for breakdown of top 20 cities for UW grads barred in California. Notice that sizable chunks are out-of-staters who are merely barred in California.

Click here for the individual attorney listings.

From UW link, it looks like 8 or so students got jobs in California in 2008. So, it happens (note: 1 COA clerkship and 1 contract-work job). But if you're dead-set on working in California, you'd be better off going to school there.

But I'm speaking as someone still stung by his UW rejection and now is bound for Davis. So, I'm less than unbiased.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:35 pm

nalador wrote:One more question that comes up in considering UW or any school on the quarter system. Does this negatively impact summer opportunities or do they have a way of compensating for this? Also is it more difficult to be taking exams more often? It seems like this would be a disadvantage and I've yet to read anyone say it has worked better for them, but maybe there are advantages. Any thoughts?
I've heard that it really isn't a problem. Personally I think more finals and more grades is a good thing because it reduces the overall weight of any one final, so one bad test can't ruin you gpa quite as much as it could if you only had 2/3 as many grades. As for concern about finishing later than most schools and that being a problem for summer associateships, firms in the NW are obviously used to UW students and likely work around it, also there are a few other schools around the country on quarters (I think that includes Stanford and Chicago), so firms in most major markets are also likely to work with students who are on quarters. As another poster said, though, I bet the school will make arrangements for students who need to start summer jobs before the end of spring quarter, because having graduates find good jobs is a pretty high priority for any law school.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Yep, University of Washington isn't going to outperform Hastings in northern California. You should attend school in the region you'd like to practice, unless you're in at the T18 or so.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't understand why this thread is so long. They're all regional school. Go to the school in the region you want to practice. BC = MA/CT, CU = CO, UW = WA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:00 am

I agree that these schools are all going to do well in their own regions.

If you want to work in the Northeast (Boston, NYC, Phily, etc.) go to Boston College. While it is one of the more national non-t14 schools, the school's strength is largely in Boston and NYC. Boston and NYC have obvious strengths as far as they are great cities to live in. Large major markets with high salaries and prestigious law firms abound. Both cities offer great nightlife and exciting environments to live, especially for someone under 40. Both have probably the most intellectual citizenry in the country.

If you want to work in Colorado, go to CU. The schools does very well in Colorado. While there are few biglaw firms (V100) with a large Colorado presence (at least 50 attorneys in state), the school will place well in non-V100 biglaw (Faegre, etc.). Colorado is a great state to live in if you enjoy skiing and generally like the great outdoors. Unfortunately, CU is not going to place well in a major market, but I think Denver is one of the better smaller mid-markets in the country to live, so you may not care.

If you want to work in Washington or Oregon, I would definitely look into UW. Great school, underrated academics. Places well in Seattle, and the top of the class can get jobs at some firms in Northern California. Lifestyle would be nice, as Seattle is a pretty cool little city to live in. Good seafood, good hiking. Weather is a bit depressing, but I hear that its reputation is worse than reality. Altogether a great place to live.

In the end, this should be your framework. These are all great schools, but each is going to place better in a specific region of the country. Determine which lifestyle/region you would like and then pick the school in that region.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 am

Blindmelon wrote:I don't understand why this thread is so long. They're all regional school. Go to the school in the region you want to practice. BC = MA/CT, CU = CO, UW = WA.
This. Consider where you want to practice as your primary decision of where to attend. I'm a Washington resident considering UW Law, so I thought I'd give you my two cents about that law school.

I love the previous comment of UW as fly over country. It's in the heart of Seattle, a MAJOR metropolis as I'm sure everyone knows. The northwest does tend to have an isolated employment market though (good if you want to get in it, bad if you want to get out). And UW Law is the undisputed king of the Pac NW, so you get the big fish/small pond effect.

The teaching is incredible. The professors like to use technology to a large degree, and are very talented speakers and educators.

Know two things about UW cost. One good and one bad.

1. Tuition is likely to go up by at 14% this year, if not all three years you attend. Tuition has not been set for 2010-2011.
2. They have approved a fee waiver for out of state students, to where they can get resident tuition as a 2L and 3L w/o becoming an actual resident if they've lived in Washington for your first year and summer. That means big discount!

Oh, and I don't know if you've been, but even though I know nothing about BC or Colorado Law schools, I can assure you that the UW law school's building kicks their ass!

nalador

New

Post by nalador » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Obviously this post strikes a chord with many people. Not everyone is T14 and if you fall into this group where your choices become more "regional" you still wonder how your degree will translate into jobs in other places.

I have appreciated the opportunity to read all the posts and opinions on this topic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”