UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:36 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:37 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

dvd wrote:So, I have narrowed my decision down to UCLA and Texas. Tuition at both is equal, and even though COL is higher in LA, I have been guaranteed first year housing at Weyburn, right next to campus, which is very nice and reasonably priced.

I have visited both schools, and I loved certain parts of Los Angeles, though certain areas were definitely not so nice. The area around UCLA, however, is wonderful, so that is a plus. Austin is a nice enough city, but the rest of Texas does not enthuse me at all.

Ultimately I would like to work in NYC, but if I can't, I would be much happier working in Southern California than in Texas. Around 65% of Texas grads work in Texas, and (I think) 70% of UCLA grads work in Southern California. Both degrees seem equally portable nationally.

I think I would enjoy Los Angeles more, but I can see it being a lonely city in many ways.

Texas has a far better economic outlook than California, and Texas is definitely the safer choice (lower COL, better job prospects due to the growing state economy), but I don't know if I just want to be safe.

Suggestions?


Full disclosure: I'm from Southern CA and I would never want to live in Texas.

I doubt that either school has an "edge" in NYC, that's going to depend on you working aggressively to gain connections to the market. If you think you'd be happier in LA go to LA unless the money offered at Texas is substantially more (i.e., 20k+ than UCLA).

Also, while LA can be a lonely city, I don't think you'll have any problems with that in Westwood. I've been to UCLA many times to visit friends in undergrad, and there is always an active social scene. Plus, you're going to spending a lot of time in the law library with law students anyway, so you'll have at least some forced interaction.

However, you are right in pointing out CA's fragile economic situation... I'm not sure if that makes a huge difference though.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:45 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tx1987
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby tx1987 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

dvd wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:
dvd wrote:So, I have narrowed my decision down to UCLA and Texas. Tuition at both is equal, and even though COL is higher in LA, I have been guaranteed first year housing at Weyburn, right next to campus, which is very nice and reasonably priced.

I have visited both schools, and I loved certain parts of Los Angeles, though certain areas were definitely not so nice. The area around UCLA, however, is wonderful, so that is a plus. Austin is a nice enough city, but the rest of Texas does not enthuse me at all.

Ultimately I would like to work in NYC, but if I can't, I would be much happier working in Southern California than in Texas. Around 65% of Texas grads work in Texas, and (I think) 70% of UCLA grads work in Southern California. Both degrees seem equally portable nationally.

I think I would enjoy Los Angeles more, but I can see it being a lonely city in many ways.

Texas has a far better economic outlook than California, and Texas is definitely the safer choice (lower COL, better job prospects due to the growing state economy), but I don't know if I just want to be safe.

Suggestions?


Full disclosure: I'm from Southern CA and I would never want to live in Texas.

I doubt that either school has an "edge" in NYC, that's going to depend on you working aggressively to gain connections to the market. If you think you'd be happier in LA go to LA unless the money offered at Texas is substantially more (i.e., 20k+ than UCLA).

Also, while LA can be a lonely city, I don't think you'll have any problems with that in Westwood. I've been to UCLA many times to visit friends in undergrad, and there is always an active social scene. Plus, you're going to spending a lot of time in the law library with law students anyway, so you'll have at least some forced interaction.

However, you are right in pointing out CA's fragile economic situation... I'm not sure if that makes a huge difference though.


Very helpful! Thanks.


I went to UT for undergrad and, honestly, there is nothing like Austin. This city is amazing and very, very different from the rest of Texas. I am trying to decide between Pepperdine and U of H right now and, while the thought of moving back home to Houston makes me shudder, if I got off the WL and into UT law, I'd have a very hard time turning it down. You are very right about Texas and Cali's economy and that also makes me nervous about leaving TX. The only reason I'm even thinking about moving out of Austin is because I've lived in Texas my whole life and I want to experience something new. There is a reason why a large percentage of the folks who come to school in Austin want to stay here. It's an amazing city with so many amazing, open-minded people with warm hearts. Plus, the Mexican food here is to die for and the tailgates/football games are awesome! There's a reason why so much pride comes with being a Longhorn - I'm just sayin'.

That being said (a Texan always has to put in a good word for her "country"), it really seems like you WANT to go to UCLA rather than Texas. Go to the place you'd be happier, if everything else seems equal.

User avatar
one&only
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:12 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby one&only » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:37 pm

To screw with you, they are no tied in the USNR.

Applicant2010
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby Applicant2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:06 am

Where do you live now? Not sure if your Texas $ includes NRTE, but it is easier to establish residency in Texas than UCLA, which could substantially decrease tuition for 2L & 3L.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:00 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoyas2010
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby hoyas2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 pm

dvd wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:Where do you live now? Not sure if your Texas $ includes NRTE, but it is easier to establish residency in Texas than UCLA, which could substantially decrease tuition for 2L & 3L.


Texas did give me NRTE as part of my scholarship, while UCLA just gave me cash. So, if I were able to establish California residency (which I hear is very hard), that would actually make UCLA cheaper than Texas. As it is, they both cost around 21 thousand a year (with NRTE at Texas, and OOS at UCLA).

I am from Oklahoma, so part of my desire to go to California stems from the idea that it would be nice to experience something new. However, I wouldn't be that far from family if I went to UT.


I am actually in a similar situation as you, but I received $$ from UT and have yet to hear from UCLA about matching. UCLA's website says, however, that most students establish CA residency after the first year, which would decrease your tuition by something like $10k a year. I wanted to get you the link that says that but their site is down at the moment. Good luck!

zanyventer
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby zanyventer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:13 pm

texas will be much cheaper in the long run... the uc's are jacking up their tuition over the next few years to the point where you'll still be paying nearly out of state rates even if you do establish residency. also, i'm texas born and bred, so i don't understand the hatred outsiders have for the rest of texas like houston and dallas. that being said, i visited ut law and didn't like it. how did you feel about the schools? i would base your decision on that because that's where you'll spend most of your time. i think los angeles and austin each have their own merits so i think it's pretty much a wash.
Last edited by zanyventer on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hoyas2010
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby hoyas2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:13 pm

"To establish residence the student must be physically present in California for more than one year and must have come here with the intent to make California his or her home. Physical presence California solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of stay."

"You must demonstrate intent to make California your home by severing residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California shortly after arrival."

While these sound stringent I have heard numerous times that people are granted residency after their first year. I think simply getting a CA drivers license suffices to show intent (not positive on this though).

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Applicant2010
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby Applicant2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:49 pm

dvd wrote:
Applicant2010 wrote:Where do you live now? Not sure if your Texas $ includes NRTE, but it is easier to establish residency in Texas than UCLA, which could substantially decrease tuition for 2L & 3L.


Texas did give me NRTE as part of my scholarship, while UCLA just gave me cash. So, if I were able to establish California residency (which I hear is very hard), that would actually make UCLA cheaper than Texas. As it is, they both cost around 21 thousand a year (with NRTE at Texas, and OOS at UCLA).

I am from Oklahoma, so part of my desire to go to California stems from the idea that it would be nice to experience something new. However, I wouldn't be that far from family if I went to UT.


So 1) the schools will cost the same in tuition, 2) establishing CA residency will offset COA differences, and 3) you seem to want UCLA. You will be close to family at UT, but the drive from Austin to Oklahoma is longer than your flight from LAX to OKC. Sounds like an easy choice for UCLA.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm

one&only wrote:To screw with you, they are no tied in the USNR.


well, they've been more or less tied for the past 20 years, so that's not adding anything new

to OP: seems like you really want the change of scenery, and so I vote UCLA (even though I'll be at UT next year)

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

tx1987
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby tx1987 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

dvd wrote:My final decision has been made. I deposited at Texas. The deciding factor was that UCLA in-state tuition has jumped over $5,000 between last year and this year (it is now $40,634), and it and the OOS costs may continue to rise in the future.
Thanks for everyone's help!


Wow, congratulations! You'll love Austin!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 am

Good decision, UCLA's tuition for someone going in out of state and gaining residency will be $50k, $45k, $50k.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:32 pm

dvd wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Good decision, UCLA's tuition for someone going in out of state and gaining residency will be $50k, $45k, $50k.


Yeah, seriously, that seems a little insane. The fact that they don't have capped tuition increases bothered me.


Neither does Texas, lol.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby dvd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:34 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:36 pm

dvd wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
dvd wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Good decision, UCLA's tuition for someone going in out of state and gaining residency will be $50k, $45k, $50k.


Yeah, seriously, that seems a little insane. The fact that they don't have capped tuition increases bothered me.


Neither does Texas, lol.


Right, but Texas has a recommended increase of no more than 5% per year.


UCLA's $5k increases are the recommended %s as well. If Texas has some financial problems they won't hesitate to increase tuition whatever is needed (doubtful the state would increase funding).

gmichaelbluth
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby gmichaelbluth » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

dvd wrote:My final decision has been made. I deposited at Texas. The deciding factor was that UCLA in-state tuition has jumped over $5,000 between last year and this year (it is now $40,634), and it and the OOS costs may continue to rise in the future.
Thanks for everyone's help!


Ha, congrats man! See you in the fall.

Applicant2010
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby Applicant2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Jericwithers wrote:UCLA's $5k increases are the recommended %s as well. If Texas has some financial problems they won't hesitate to increase tuition whatever is needed (doubtful the state would increase funding).


True, but the difference is California's problems are $35 billion more costly than those in Texas.

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/State_budget_issues,_2009-2010

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: UCLA ($$) or Texas ($$)?

Postby hotdog123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Applicant2010 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:UCLA's $5k increases are the recommended %s as well. If Texas has some financial problems they won't hesitate to increase tuition whatever is needed (doubtful the state would increase funding).


True, but the difference is California's problems are $35 billion more costly than those in Texas.

http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/State_budget_issues,_2009-2010


Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Texas seems a lot less eager to kill it's golden goose, whereas California....




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 1 guest