You guessed it...another lost soul looking for help.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

So where do I send my deposit?

BU
No votes
Notre Dame
5%
GULC
38%
Northwestern
48%
NYU if it comes through (on a wing and a prayer)
9%

Total votes: 56

Bennettju

You guessed it...another lost soul looking for help.

Postby Bennettju » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey again everybody,

Along with the other thousand people who've done this already, I wanted to open up my decision making process to countless strangers in the hopes of getting some precious TLS wisdom. Here's the situation: I'm planning to spend the vast majority of my career in public interest law. I'd love to do international human rights work someday, but know that there are few "real" jobs for lawyers in that field. So upon graduation, my ideal plan would be to first do a year of clerking (I keep hearing that this is the right move no matter what else you want to do afterward) followed by doing litigation work for a govt. agency or something like that. Given the CCRAA of 2007 and the ability to do IBR, debt, while still a factor, is not so limiting as it once was in terms of school choice for PI lawyers. I've been admitted to 6 schools total, but crossed two of them off the list already (UIUC and WM). I like each of the remaining four schools, but for very different reasons.

1. BU - No scholarship, but it's in my current area, meaning I could stay within my community and near my long-time girlfriend (and probably future wife). They seem to have solid PI curricular and externship offerings, but no dependable LRAP to speak of.

2. ND - A little more than 1/2 tuition scholly. Of all the schools, I feel like I would "fit" the best at this one, in terms of the community/temperament at the LS. As a result, I think I would likely excel the best here (class-rank wise) and also enjoy a good quality of life while in LS. Downside is that there aren't many externship opportunities in South Bend. The alumni network seems as good as they say, but it still has the lowest ranking of the group. Has the Center for Civil and Human Rights, which offers LLM and JSD degrees, and JD students are allowed to take courses as well. Has an LRAP program, but it seems to be pretty limited. I'd most likely be financing about $100k in debt through IBR.

3. GULC - Visited for the ASW recently and loved it. Some scholarship, but I'm going to be relying heavily on their LRAP either way, which is phenomenal. The location seems to be unbeatable for PI-focused law students, in terms of available externships, etc. The school size means they have an unparalleled breadth of clinical/curricular/co-curricular opportunities to explore.

4. Northwestern - Highest ranking of the group. Seems to offer great career prospects across the board. I have family in IL so it would be nice to be closer to them. Excellent externship opportunities in Chicago. Was admitted to the JD-LLM in International Human Rights joint degree (though it still takes 4 years to complete, so I'm not sure how it's a "joint degree"). Didn't feel quite as much at "home" when I went to the ASW last weekend, so that's something of a concern. Also has a phenomenal LRAP program, though different than Georgetown's.

5. NYU - Ok, still haven't been admitted (and not expecting to be) but if the stars align and someone there decides they like me, this would be the highest ranking school and has a strong PI reputation. Have never spent anytime in NYC and not sure what I think about it, besides that it would be the most expensive of the cities by far. Don't know what their LRAP program is like, either, but I've heard good things.

One last note--I really don't have any preference on where I want to live/practice for the long term. Though I hate the weather, I have great ties to the northeast and wouldn't mind coming back to Boston for a while. But beyond that, I'm very flexible at this point. Ok, I think that's more than enough info for you all. Have at it!

p.s.: If you don't mind, I'd love to hear the reasons why you voted the way you did. Thanks again!

Tall

Re: You guessed it...another lost soul looking for help.

Postby Tall » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

ND - A little more than 1/2 tuition scholly. Of all the schools, I feel like I would "fit" the best at this one, in terms of the community/temperament at the LS.

The reason for my choice.

Bennettju

Postby Bennettju » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks, Tall, but where did you actually place your vote? Doesn't look like ND has gotten any votes yet.

Any other takers?

Bennettju

Postby Bennettju » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Shameless bump, in view of the new (but not drastically changed, at least for me) rankings.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:01 pm

I voted for NU, because you have not been admitted to NYU yet. But if you get admitted then go to NYU.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:06 pm

I put down GULC. I feel like it has a good balance - money is covered, good job opporutnities (it's bottom T-14, but still, it's T-14 + in D.C. which is great for PI), and you liked the school.

That said, this is w/my priorities in place. I don't know how important the gf, family, etc. are to you relative to your future work prospects etc. So do take into account what is most important to you.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Northwestern. Your public interest focus makes debt a non-issue at a T14, where you're highly likely to get some sort of PI job that will trigger federal IBR (and NU's LRAP will cover most of your payments to boot).

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm

I voted for GULC because I think it's your best bet on the table, but if NYU comes through, I would vote for that.

I would pick those two over your other choices because they do great things for your career goals while enabling you to stay close enough to your girlfriend to make seeing each other regularly a feasible possibility. My boyfriend just moved to be with me after 9 months of distance. I know how much it sucks.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:29 pm

I voted for GULC because of it seems like you'll have the career you want. Plus, you'll be depending on LRAP either way so cost isn't the real issue. However, as a married student, I would personally consider being close to your "future wife." As far as long-term happiness is concerned, that will be more important than any other decision you make in your life. So...GULC or BU.

Bennettju

Postby Bennettju » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone--remarkably helpful stuff!

Looks like GULC and NU are still neck and neck for the lead, which is where I'm leaning personally. In both cases, the travel situation to see my girlfriend would be the same ($80 for a flight each way on long weekends, vacations, etc.). That, along with the increased prestige of going to either T-14 option and the fact that they both have great LRAPs, makes me think it will come down to one of them--unless of course I opt for BU to stick around here. :)

Keep the thoughts coming if there are more out there! Any really substantive differences in opportunities that you all can think of between NU and GULC, besides the different types of externship options (which seem to be better for PI in D.C.)?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”