UNC vs. UF vs. EMORY Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: UNC vs. UF vs. EMORY

Post by Grizz » Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm

crazyeddie wrote: People say that you should never bank on being in the top 1/3. But if you are going to pay sticker at either Emory or UNC (out of state) then you had better be planning on working your a$$ off and getting top 1/3 at least
I would like to reiterate mistergoft here.

Do NOT EVER EVER EVER bank on being in the top third.

Also, keep in mind that this poster once asserted that Vanderbilt prospects were only "slightly better" that W&L for the Chicago, NY, and DC markets, so I'd take anything this poster says with a grain of salt.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 pm

crazyeddie wrote:[strike]If you want to practice anywhere in the state of Florida, then UF is a no brainer. UF has a supreme reputation througout Florida, and in-state tutition makes it very attractive.

People say that you should never bank on being in the top 1/3. But if you are going to pay sticker at either Emory or UNC (out of state) then you had better be planning on working your a$$ off and getting top 1/3 at least

Otherwise, choose another career path.

My $.02[/strike] Don't go to a school you where you wouldn't feel comfortable finishing at median
fixed.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Wed May 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I would chose UF if I were to practice law in Miami. The alumni network is important.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I also agree that UF is a no brainer in this case. UNC and Emory may be considered more prestigious institutions (even in Florida), but UF has more reach in Florida because of its alumni base and is sooooooo much cheaper. I do not believe a UNC or Emory degree would give you one iota of an advantage in Florida over UF until someone proves me wrong.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 19, 2010 6:23 pm

kdw94780 wrote:I do not believe a UNC or Emory degree would give you one iota of an advantage in Florida over UF until someone proves me wrong.
Emory? Probably yes, judging from the lawyers I've spoken to. UNC. Probably not.

Again, keep in mind that I am not advocating paying sticker at Emory over UF, but it's important not to overestimate UF.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Like what a lot of people have been saying, if you're sure you want to work in Florida, you should go with UF.. especially since it costs less than the other two.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Like what a lot of people have been saying, if you're sure you want to work in Florida, you should go with UF.. especially since it costs less than the other two.
Costs less as in equal to having more than a 50% scholarship from Emory.

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Sun May 23, 2010 2:06 am

Last edited by Omerta on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Tue May 25, 2010 8:59 am

Omerta wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Like what a lot of people have been saying, if you're sure you want to work in Florida, you should go with UF.. especially since it costs less than the other two.
Costs less as in equal to having more than a 50% scholarship from Emory.
I had a similar dilemma between UF and Emory (but with 24k) and thought a long time about it but went for Emory. But I did a ton of research about the extraneous expenses of both schools and Emory is more expensive by a country mile. Gainseville is full of cheap housing and relatively depressed prices in general. Decatur is expensive as hell. If I didn't get a scholarship, I would have gone to UF. The tuition is 14k a year, cheapest in-state rate out of any school in the United States. Assuming UF's rate stays the same, then your 3 years of tuition at UF would be 1 year tuition at Emory (42,900 this year).
Will be a little over $16k for the 2010-2011 year and increasing at 15% per year after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 am

If you can take a step in Florida and NOT see some kind of Gator license plate, flag, sweat shirt...literally, you can't get away from it. They call Florida Gator Nation for a reason. I've worked or spoken in depth with people from several biglaw jobs in Florida and UF reigns supreme. If you're not T14 than you might as well be gator. So, if you're certain you want to work in FLA it's the way to go. Plus even with the increase in tuition it'll still be 20 k cheaper.

However, I may be biased.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 25, 2010 10:52 am

trialjunky wrote:If you can take a step in Florida and NOT see some kind of Gator license plate, flag, sweat shirt...literally, you can't get away from it. They call Florida Gator Nation for a reason. I've worked or spoken in depth with people from several biglaw jobs in Florida and UF reigns supreme. If you're not T14 than you might as well be gator. So, if you're certain you want to work in FLA it's the way to go.
I agree with what you for the most part, but I'd add Vanderbilt and Emory, well known regional players, for FL hiring, especially if you can demonstrate a connection to the state. If is definintely not T-14>UF>all else. Would Emory or Vandy be worth sticker over in-state at UF? Probably not, especially considering that market in FL is only around $110k to $125k. Are they also going to give you a boost above UF grads, expecially if you are already from/can demonstrate a connection to FL? Yup. How do I know? Family members and family friends who worked biglaw, state govt., and federal govt.

One of my family members works at a federal office and has final say over all the hiring there (don't want to say which office; don't want to out myself). I asked specifically about Vanderbilt and Emory, and he/she assured me the boost was there. The #3 person at the office is a Vandy grad, another friend is a Vandy grad there, and I can name at least one Emory grad I know off the top of my head. UF grads, comparatively, are underrepresented.

Not a lot of Vandy and Emory (and T14) self-select to the state, which makes UF seem more prominent, but trust me on this one. Emory at sticker? UF by a country mile. Emory w/$$ vs. UF in-state? I'd take Emory any day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”