I need help too: American v Tulane

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

American or Tulane

American (with $8K grant)
13%
Tulane (with $15K scholly)
87%

Total votes: 15

Bert

I need help too: American v Tulane

Postby Bert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:02 pm

I have been on the fence for too long on these two, and I would appreciate some fresh advice. I have withdrawn from all schools except these two, so there are no other options (well, maybe UCDavis if they get things in gear). Anyway, here's the breakdown:

Me:
- currently a biglaw paralegal interested in coming back to biglaw
- have many contacts in NYC legal circles, but would prefer to stay away from NYC if at all possible (will come back to NYC if necessary to start my career)
- interested in expanding my horizons a bit (have been doing corporate/M&A/Finance work and I enjoy the work, but want a wholistic education)
- I have some savings that will be used to pay for my education, so I think my LS Debt will be around $80K-$100K AU or $50K-$75K Tulane (assuming I keep the scholly for all three years)
- looking for a "campusy" feel at school (of secondary importance)
- S.O. may be coming along for law school to help pay for living expenses

American University:
- $8K grant, but financial aid people won't confirm that I will remain eligible for it for all three years
- DC location is a plus (but definitely pricey) as it would probably open doors for experiential learning that Tulane would not be able to open
- did UG in DC, so I know the city fairly well and could adjust to life in DC fairly quickly
- am not too big a fan of the public interest slant at AU, but there are definitely non-PI classes and opportunities at AU and in DC
- international slant at AU is intriguing
- law school building seemed dark and cold
- could see my myself in DC long term (maybe ending up in CA or MA when the economy recovers)

Tulane University:
- $15K scholarship (with 3.0 requirement)
- NOLA is a nice city, but I am not sure I am (personally) completely in love with it -- it seemed to be a bit of a dead city when I visited
- class offerings at Tulane look amazing, well-rounded and interesting -- would definitely get a great education at Tulane
- law school building was beautiful and well-kept
- national reputation / job prospects at Tulane range from questionable to fair (depending on source)
- can't see myself sticking around NOLA after school

Any votes or guidance would be appreciated.

HBK

Re: I need help too: American v Tulane

Postby HBK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:06 pm

NOLA is a helluva fun town. Plus, I think there's a trolley line from campus to right near Bourbon St.

I love NO. It really is a lot of fun.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't know much about American, but I can tell you about Tulane. Going from what you have listed:

1. NOLA as a dead city
I'm not sure when you visited, but NOLA is a vibrant city with a unique culture. It does have it's "dead" times of the year, but there is often a lot going on and plenty to do. So your SO will have a lot to do when you are studying. Give NOLA another chance before you write it off.

2. Staying in NOLA
Having talked to many law grads of Tulane, I can tell you that the majority do not stay in NOLA. They go to New York, and other areas up north. Tulane does have decent national reach (mostly in the east), and they do not force you to load up on civil classes. You do have the option to take civil classes, but don't need to take many like you would if you are staying in Louisiana.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Bert wrote:- am not too big a fan of the public interest slant at AU, but there are definitely non-PI classes and opportunities at AU and in DC

For what it's worth, UC Davis also has a very strong PI slant from what I saw/heard at its ASD. NOLA is a fantastic city in select areas and it should be a lot of fun for LS. Assuming you can get away afterward (if you want to), I wouldn't mind spending a few years there since it's such a unique place.

FullThrottle

Postby FullThrottle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Bert wrote:
Me:
- currently a biglaw paralegal interested in coming back to biglaw
- interested in expanding my horizons a bit (have been doing corporate/M&A/Finance work and I enjoy the work, but want a wholistic education)

American University:
- $8K grant, but financial aid people won't confirm that I will remain eligible for it for all three years
- am not too big a fan of the public interest slant at AU, but there are definitely non-PI classes and opportunities at AU and in DC
- could see my myself in DC long term

Tulane University:
- $15K scholarship (with 3.0 requirement)
- would definitely get a great education at Tulane
- can't see myself sticking around NOLA after school

Any votes or guidance would be appreciated.

First off, thank you for responding to my post. I kept quoted what I see as important points. Additionally, job placement is important but salaries/placement offset for the two.

Both schools are known for their public interest but American debt might leave you with a larger chance of going into PI work. Not a fan of this either.

If you can see yourself working down south for 3 years after law school and then moving to DC/Cali/MA, go to Tulane. Otherwise, American.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”