Attention: Those who want to work NorCal

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NorCalBaby

Attention: Those who want to work NorCal

Postby NorCalBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:50 pm

I’ve been a longtime lurker on here, but I joined essentially to post about this topic. I’m actually a junior in college so I’m not even applying to schools yet, but anyway…

I‘ve seen a ton of threads on here about what schools are better for NorCal (Notre Dame over Hastings types of questions, et cetera). Anyway, as someone who has lived in NorCal and whose father, grandfather and uncle are attorneys here at two big firms (along with a lot of family friends), and as someone who has asked numerous attorneys out here, I will say this:

S>HY>Boalt>T6>UCLA>lower T10>USC+Hastings+Davis>low T14>everything else.

I know this may shock some of the T14 obsessed people on here, but yes, UCLA is better for NorCal than say UPenn and even UVA, and USC, Hastings and Davis are better than Georgetown and Cornell up/over here. You can choose not to believe me, but this is how it works. Honestly, if you want to work in NorCal and you take say ND or WUSTL over any ABA approved UC, then you’re making a foolish mistake.

Just my two cents.
Last edited by NorCalBaby on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hopin10

Re: Attention: Those who want to work NorCal

Postby hopin10 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Uh, UCLA is > Boalt? Really?

NorCalBaby

Postby NorCalBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Forgot one, but I don't consider Boalt the T6 anyway. Fixed.
Last edited by NorCalBaby on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:55 pm

NorCalBaby wrote:I don't consider Boalt the T6, but I should adjust and make myself clear.

:shock:

NorCalBaby

Postby NorCalBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm

hellokitty wrote:
NorCalBaby wrote:I don't consider Boalt the T6, but I should adjust and make myself clear.

I always thought that Columbia, NYU and Chicago were the "traditional" T6. No?

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 pm

NorCalBaby wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

I mean, yeah you're right about that. But why did you rank UCLA above Boalt in California?

NorCalBaby

Postby NorCalBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Also, (and this just doesn't apply to law schools, but to undergrad, other professional schools, etc) I don't think people who haven't lived here can really grasp how highly regarded the UCs are out here. And no, I don't go to a UC.

NorCalBaby

Postby NorCalBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 pm

hellokitty wrote:
NorCalBaby wrote:
hellokitty wrote:

I mean, yeah you're right about that. But why did you rank UCLA above Boalt in California?

I didn't, I forgot to specify Boalt. Boalt>UCLA, no doubt. Though in SoCal, I suspect they are closer than one may expect. However, this is purely speculation on my part.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:03 pm

NorCalBaby wrote: I didn't, I forgot to specify Boalt. Boalt>UCLA, no doubt.

Oh okay, sorry then. I see no problem with your NorCal rankings then. I can't wait to end up there, but I know a few attorneys that went to not so great law schools, like Golden Gate, who are unemployed and have been doing temp work for the past 3 years or working on a volunteer basis like interns with JDs. It scares the shit outta me.

NorCalBaby

Postby NorCalBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

hellokitty wrote:
NorCalBaby wrote: I didn't, I forgot to specify Boalt. Boalt>UCLA, no doubt.

Oh okay, sorry then. I see no problem with your NorCal rankings then. I can't wait to end up there, but I know a few attorneys that went to not so great law schools, like Golden Gate, who are unemployed and have been doing temp work for the past 3 years or working on a volunteer basis like interns with JDs. It scares the shit outta me.

Well don't be too scared. Golden Gate is at the very botton of the barrel and shouldn't even be accredited. Even McGeorge>>>>>>Golden Gate. But yeah, don't go to GG and you'll be fine. Things are picking up out here a tick lately, too, from what I can gather. This really is the greatest place on Earth, so don't scare yourself away from here! :D

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 pm

This is a kind of off topic question, but I figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

What kind of law jobs are available in northern Nevada? Since Nevada only has one LS, would California people get a heads up on UNLV students? I have no clue about what the economy is like there or what kind of jobs exist (except for entertainment related things)

What about more inland areas of SoCal?

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:38 pm

NorCalBaby wrote:Also, (and this just doesn't apply to law schools, but to undergrad, other professional schools, etc) I don't think people who haven't lived here can really grasp how highly regarded the UCs are out here. And no, I don't go to a UC.

Definitely true. Berkeley is like a mythological god in CA (as is UCLA for the most part). Whether or not that's deserved is another question

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm

NorCalBaby wrote:I’ve been a longtime lurker on here, but I joined essentially to post about this topic. I’m actually a junior in college.
Right there.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
NorCalBaby wrote:I’ve been a longtime lurker on here, but I joined essentially to post about this topic. I’m actually a junior in college.
Right there.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 pm

NorCalBaby wrote:I’ve been a longtime lurker on here, but I joined essentially to post about this topic. I’m actually a junior in college so I’m not even applying to schools yet, but anyway…

I‘ve seen a ton of threads on here about what schools are better for NorCal (Notre Dame over Hastings types of questions, et cetera). Anyway, as someone who has lived in NorCal and whose father, grandfather and uncle are attorneys here at two big firms (along with a lot of family friends), and as someone who has asked numerous attorneys out here, I will say this:

S>HY>Boalt>T6>UCLA>lower T10>USC+Hastings+Davis>low T14>everything else.

I know this may shock some of the T14 obsessed people on here, but yes, UCLA is better for NorCal than say UPenn and even UVA, and USC, Hastings and Davis are better than Georgetown and Cornell up/over here. You can choose not to believe me, but this is how it works. Honestly, if you want to work in NorCal and you take say ND or WUSTL over any ABA approved UC, then you’re making a foolish mistake.

Just my two cents.

Most obvious troll-flame ever?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 pm

NorCalBaby wrote:S>HY>Boalt>T6>UCLA>lower T10>USC+Hastings+Davis>low T14>everything else.

I know this may shock some of the T14 obsessed people on here, but yes, UCLA is better for NorCal than say UPenn and even UVA, and USC, Hastings and Davis are better than Georgetown and Cornell up/over here.

Absolutely not! Columbia and Chicago equal or exceed Boalt, and every T10-12 beats UCLA. UCLA placed like 10-15% of their class this year.
Last edited by im_blue on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:47 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Right there.

UCLA >T14 - (T6 +Boalt)?? Maybe with no connections to the state. But come on man.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 pm

I guess I'll need to inform my barely-above-median MVP friend summering at WSGR that his school doesn't place as well in NorCal as UCLA. :lol:
Last edited by RVP11 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:06 am

Kohinoor wrote:
Right there.

So if he was a 0L, he'd be legit?

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:11 am

jms1987 wrote:This is a kind of off topic question, but I figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

What kind of law jobs are available in northern Nevada? Since Nevada only has one LS, would California people get a heads up on UNLV students? I have no clue about what the economy is like there or what kind of jobs exist (except for entertainment related things)

What about more inland areas of SoCal?

anyone..? :D

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 am

Honestly what OP says is consistent with what I've seen as well...except Davis/Hastings not quite better than low t14, maybe equal (depends on whether the low t14 student has NorCal ties). OP seems wiser than most 0Ls, especially in light of all the recent psycho posts inspired by the new rankings.

Obviously there is no real way to prove something like this, but based on the hiring practices I've seen over the last three years, I would say there is definitely some truth to OP.

With all that said, certainly MOST people would be better off taking a t14 over Hastings/Davis. UCLA v. low t-14, however, is debatable.
Last edited by davis3l on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 am

davis3l wrote:Honestly what OP says is consistent with what I've seen as well...except Davis/Hastings not quite better than low t14, maybe equal (depends on whether the low t14 student has NorCal ties). OP seems wiser than most 0Ls, especially in light of all the recent psycho posts inspired by the new rankings.

Obviously there is no real way to prove something like this, but based on the hiring practices I've seen over the last three years, I would say there is definitely some truth to OP.

With all that said, certainly MOST people would be better off taking a t14 than Hastings/Davis. UCLA v. low t-14, however, is debatable.

I don't know if I agree with the OP fully, but how things look to me is that beyond the top 3, region does play some factor. Overall in NorCal, I'd imagine Berkeley is better than everything except the top 3; however if you look at just biglaw firms (branches or headquarters) then Columbia and Chicago might equal it. I'm just a 0L speculating, but that's what things look like to me.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:58 am

:D :D :D

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:16 am

lakerfanimal wrote:[strike]I don't know if I agree with the OP fully, but how things look to me is that beyond the top 3, region does play some factor. Overall in NorCal, I'd imagine Berkeley is better than everything except the top 3; however if you look at just biglaw firms (branches or headquarters) then Columbia and Chicago might equal it[/strike]. I'm just a 0L speculating, [strike]but that's what things look like to me[/strike].

Talk to 2L+ people who've been through OCI. Often regional preferences/familiarity for a certain T14 (like NorCal and Berkeley) is counteracted by the fact that firms like to have diverse SA classes. NorCal firms, for instance, probably aren't hiring much (if at all) deeper at Berkeley than at MVP. 0Ls on TLS like to over-regionalize things. But there are plenty of people grateful to be at an eastern T14 and one of only ~10 people in the class who wants to work in California, rather than competing with everyone and their mom at Berkeley for interview slots.
Last edited by RVP11 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 am

Rory1987 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Right there.

So if he was a 0L, he'd be legit?

His statement would still be very off base, even though I'm assuming OP meant well. Kohinoor's point was simply that he could have safely walked away from this thread and known it was off-base at that exact point, without needing to read further.

His claim that UCLA > lower T10 is simply not true. Not even looking at the downturn in the economy, where there was what is termed a "flight to quality," UCLA's pre-crash placement into either NLJ 250 or Vault 100 firms as a pure statistical matter (assuming most, not all, want biglaw) does not compare to the proximity within our class from where individuals at Michigan get offers from these firms. An anecdote from family members is fine, and I don't doubt that he was told that, but the claim is simply ungrounded when it comes to actual hiring.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”