USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby saltoftheearth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:56 pm

UW -4
:(

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm

There is as much of a gap in points between #1 Yale and #11 Northwestern as there is between #13 Cornell and #60 Arizona State.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:04 pm

Helmholtz wrote:There is as much of a gap in points between #1 Yale and #11 Northwestern as there is between #13 Cornell and #60 Arizona State.


Job rankings too

100% big law - 50% big law - 0%

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:There is as much of a gap in points between #1 Yale and #11 Northwestern as there is between #13 Cornell and #60 Arizona State.


Job rankings too

100% big law - 50% big law - 0%


Take that back. Arizona St. typically places at least 3% in the NLJ 250.

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Panther7 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:UW -4
:(


the real UW, +7

:)

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
holybartender wrote:For some reason it occurred to me it'd be a bad idea to open my burgeoning intellectual property studies by violating intellectual property.


Fair use doctrine?

Almost certainly inapplicable. See 17 U.S.C. 107; Harper & Row Publishers v. Nation Enters., 471 U.S. 539 (1985) (holding that advance publication of a copyrighted manuscript was not fair use).

sporkdevil
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby sporkdevil » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 pm

charlesjd wrote:
IU-B is a public TTT. We all knew they were going to drop. The only reason they had that was the donation by Maurer. Tulane has been falling and you can thank hurricane katrina for that, even though it did not affect Tulane. Chicago KenTTTTTTT, they were and are even more of a TTT now. Temple, they still own philly so who cares.


Not to question your general intelligence, but I am more concerned with your ability to read and compare graphs so simple a Cooley admit can understand it. IU-B received the exact same overall grade as they did last year, but had a few schools leap frog them. That's not really dropping. Even if you consider dropping 4 this year, they are still up 9 spots the last two years.

Damn shame the LSAT doesn't test basic reading. Also a shame they can't test for pricks.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:There is as much of a gap in points between #1 Yale and #11 Northwestern as there is between #13 Cornell and #60 Arizona State.


Job rankings too

100% big law - 50% big law - 0%


Take that back. Arizona St. typically places at least 3% in the NLJ 250.


Stings...so....bad

TTT-LS wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
holybartender wrote:For some reason it occurred to me it'd be a bad idea to open my burgeoning intellectual property studies by violating intellectual property.


Fair use doctrine?

Almost certainly inapplicable. See 17 U.S.C. 107; Harper & Row Publishers v. Nation Enters., 471 U.S. 539 (1985).


That doesn't deal with the Internet. You could argue that the USNWR actually benefits financially from the attention that the readers of this message board give to their rankings. And that people who are so actively engaged in the process are unlikely to purchase the material and instead find it online post-publication.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 pm

sporkdevil wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
IU-B is a public TTT. We all knew they were going to drop. The only reason they had that was the donation by Maurer. Tulane has been falling and you can thank hurricane katrina for that, even though it did not affect Tulane. Chicago KenTTTTTTT, they were and are even more of a TTT now. Temple, they still own philly so who cares.


Not to question your general intelligence, but I am more concerned with your ability to read and compare graphs so simple a Cooley admit can understand it. IU-B received the exact same overall grade as they did last year, but had a few schools leap frog them. That's not really dropping. Even if you consider dropping 4 this year, they are still up 9 spots the last two years.

Damn shame the LSAT doesn't test basic reading. Also a shame they can't test for pricks.


Didn't mean to be a prick. I was just reiterating what everyone on here predicted because it occurred. Also you are a prick too. Blatant Cooley trolling. They are a top 12 and we all know it.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Unemployed » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
goingtolawschool wrote:JL is the new Opera Soprano. Fordham is officially a TTT.


JL does indeed deserve props for her efforts, as does mavsman, for starting this thread. I was at my nonprofit all afternoon doing research, so I missed the fun. As to the rest of your statement, I think :roll: sums it up nicely.


And by goingtolawschool's logic, I assume Columbia's the new Fordham.

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby phoenix323 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Anyone have a link to the Specialty rankings? The one on the first page is dead.

Thanks!

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby honestabe84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 pm

I don't understand the "peer assessment score." Does USNWR just ask other schools for their opinion on other schools? I find it very unlikely that those that are given the survey at a top school have any idea what the quality of lower ranked schools.

User avatar
creamedcats
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 am

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby creamedcats » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Exciting times for Hawai'i.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby honestabe84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm

creamedcats wrote:Exciting times for Hawai'i.


I don't know if I would want to go to law school there or live there.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 pm

creamedcats wrote:Exciting times for Hawai'i.


In the fall of 2008, law school deans, deans of academic affairs, chairs of faculty appointments, and the most recently tenured faculty members were asked to rate programs on a scale from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know." A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school. About 71 percent of those surveyed responded.

User avatar
zimbadimp
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby zimbadimp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Sucks about Cardozo

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:There is as much of a gap in points between #1 Yale and #11 Northwestern as there is between #13 Cornell and #60 Arizona State.


Job rankings too

100% big law - 50% big law - 0%


Take that back. Arizona St. typically places at least 3% in the NLJ 250.


Stings...so....bad

TTT-LS wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
holybartender wrote:For some reason it occurred to me it'd be a bad idea to open my burgeoning intellectual property studies by violating intellectual property.


Fair use doctrine?

Almost certainly inapplicable. See 17 U.S.C. 107; Harper & Row Publishers v. Nation Enters., 471 U.S. 539 (1985).


That doesn't deal with the Internet. You could argue that the USNWR actually benefits financially from the attention that the readers of this message board give to their rankings. And that people who are so actively engaged in the process are unlikely to purchase the material and instead find it online post-publication.



He has case law. You don't. He wins. Welcome to lawl skool.

goingtolawschool
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby goingtolawschool » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:04 am

honestabe84 wrote:I don't understand the "peer assessment score." Does USNWR just ask other schools for their opinion on other schools? I find it very unlikely that those that are given the survey at a top school have any idea what the quality of lower ranked schools.

In their ranking methodology, they claim that they ask people who are not familiar with a certain school to not rank it.

What I am more concerned about is the objectivity of deans and professors. There is a huge conflict of interest that may affect one's assessment of a school that directly competes with theirs. For some reason, I suspect that the USC interviewees give a score not higher than 1.6 to UCLA and vice versa.

I'd be curious to know how US NEWS deals with that

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 am

Helmholtz wrote:
creamedcats wrote:Exciting times for Hawai'i.


In the fall of 2008, law school deans, deans of academic affairs, chairs of faculty appointments, and the most recently tenured faculty members were asked to rate programs on a scale from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know." A school's score is the average of all the respondents who rated it. Responses of "don't know" counted neither for nor against a school. About 71 percent of those surveyed responded.


I bet that many rate schools based at least partially on how the school is ranked.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:06 am

goingtolawschool wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I don't understand the "peer assessment score." Does USNWR just ask other schools for their opinion on other schools? I find it very unlikely that those that are given the survey at a top school have any idea what the quality of lower ranked schools.

In their ranking methodology, they claim that they ask people who are not familiar with a certain school to not rank it.

What I am more concerned about is the objectivity of deans and professors. There is a huge conflict of interest that may affect one's assessment of a school that directly competes with theirs. For some reason, I suspect that the USC interviewees give a score not higher than 1.6 to UCLA and vice versa.

I'd be curious to know how US NEWS deals with that


Good point. Same goes with Illinois and Wash U-St. Louis.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 am

Why exactly do schools even care about rankings? If they go up or down, they don't stand to make much more money, so what's the point? Is it just for prestige or what?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Slimpee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 am

honestabe84 wrote:Why exactly do schools even care about rankings? If they go up or down, they don't stand to make much more money, so what's the point? Is it just for prestige or what?


They care because we care.

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby dreamweaver87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 am

fordham...booo. i just got them to up my scholarship money, too. as much as i hate caring about rankings, it sucks turning down ucla for a school ranked almost 20 spots below it. money sucks.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby Doritos » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 am

honestabe84 wrote:Why exactly do schools even care about rankings? If they go up or down, they don't stand to make much more money, so what's the point? Is it just for prestige or what?


Have you been reading the thread? A lot of people obsess over the rankings and choose to pay lots of money to go to these schools based largely on their ranking. Also, Alex Johnson over at UVa said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c) that deans have been fired over the rankings. Higher rank = higher prestige = higher number of $$$ people are willing to pay. It doesn't mean it's a better school but more people are willing to pay more money to attend if you are higher ranked

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:21 am

Doritos wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Why exactly do schools even care about rankings? If they go up or down, they don't stand to make much more money, so what's the point? Is it just for prestige or what?


Have you been reading the thread? A lot of people obsess over the rankings and choose to pay lots of money to go to these schools based largely on their ranking. Also, Alex Johnson over at UVa said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c) that deans have been fired over the rankings. Higher rank = higher prestige = higher number of $$$ people are willing to pay. It doesn't mean it's a better school but more people are willing to pay more money to attend if you are higher ranked


credited.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grandpapy360 and 7 guests