USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jbarl1

Silver

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Someone comment on Penn State please...

It's time for Paterno to go.
I thought with the new building and all it would see some kind of gain or at least stay the same.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:I guess. Maybe Emory needs to make it's graduating class gigantic as well to jump in the rankings. I want our t20 spot back! Seriously though, out of all the schools I looked at, Emory was the most underrated on the rankings, I guess that's why I'm even more pissed today seeing it drop to 22.
Emory has only been ranked above GW twice in the last 11 years. HTH.

QFT. The Emory vs. GWU side debate is futile.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

who cares about a new building?

and it should keep going up because it has a good name? hasn't it always had the same name? why would that make a year to year difference, if it even mattered?

i think people might've been being nice by not responding...
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

I thought with the new building and all it would see some kind of gain or at least stay the same.
Should be lower. hth.

WTF with a belief that a "new building" should be sufficient for a rankings gain? I'd look at employment numbers (and even these can be gamed) over expenditure #'s any day.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Maybe I missed, but is these a decent quality scan out there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:I guess. Maybe Emory needs to make it's graduating class gigantic as well to jump in the rankings. I want our t20 spot back! Seriously though, out of all the schools I looked at, Emory was the most underrated on the rankings, I guess that's why I'm even more pissed today seeing it drop to 22.

Great, but I care about which is the better school today. Regardless of where anyone goes, wouldn't it be a great idea for USNWR to have "student ambassadors" or something, a few people that visited each law school (or at least t50) for a few days and sat in on every class to weigh that portion of how valuable a school is? Almost like food inspectors I guess... it just would have been so helpful to have someone tell me a ranking of a school's academic integrity rather than a score based off of what everyone's placement rate and LSAT was. I can't be the only nerd on TLS that enjoys learning for the sake of learning.
Last edited by leraa6587 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

underdawg wrote:

and it should keep going up because it has a good name? hasn't it always had the same name? why would that make a year to year difference, if it even mattered?

Penn State rose a lot in the rankings last year, so I think it is a bit surprising that it dropped so much this year.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:49 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Great, but I care about which is the better school today. Regardless of where anyone goes, wouldn't it be a great idea for USNWR to have "student ambassadors" or something, a few people that visited each law school (or at least t50) for a few days and sat in on every class to weigh that portion of how valuable a school is? Almost like food inspectors I guess... it just would have been so helpful to have someone tell me a ranking of a school's academic integrity rather than a score based off of what everyone's placement rate and LSAT was.
You want to go to law school?

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm

holybartender wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285543@N07/4518895822/
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
SCORE! Thanks for posting these.

Nice to see Michigan's peer rep at 4.6.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bconly

New

Post by bconly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm

For somebody deciding between Loyola-Los Angeles ($$$) and Hastings (sticker), this sure made the decision much easier...

Hastings/Loyola differential went from 32 to 14 spots.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

keg411 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Should be lower. hth.

WTF with a belief that a "new building" should be sufficient for a rankings gain? I'd look at employment numbers (and even these can be gamed) over expenditure #'s any day.
+100

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
underdawg wrote:

Penn State rose a lot in the rankings last year, so I think it is a bit surprising that it dropped so much this year.
I think its self correcting. It shot up maybe too high last year.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
doomed123 wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
doomed123 wrote:
:lol:

GW has always been better than Emory, regardless of what the rankings have said from year to year.

How so?
Placement.
I guess. Maybe Emory needs to make it's graduating class gigantic as well to jump in the rankings. I want our t20 spot back! Seriously though, out of all the schools I looked at, Emory was the most underrated on the rankings, I guess that's why I'm even more pissed today seeing it drop to 22.
How was Emory ever underrated? Its placement has never been as strong as schools like GW, Fordham, BU, or BC. And really, what's the difference between 20 and 22 anyway? 20-30 is largely interchangeable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I hope everyone realizes that these rankings have still not been proven to be legit.
cynic

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 pm

jbarl1 wrote: Penn State rose a lot in the rankings last year, so I think it is a bit surprising that it dropped so much this year.

Perhaps regression toward the mean?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 pm

booboo wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Great, but I care about which is the better school today. Regardless of where anyone goes, wouldn't it be a great idea for USNWR to have "student ambassadors" or something, a few people that visited each law school (or at least t50) for a few days and sat in on every class to weigh that portion of how valuable a school is? Almost like food inspectors I guess... it just would have been so helpful to have someone tell me a ranking of a school's academic integrity rather than a score based off of what everyone's placement rate and LSAT was.
You want to go to law school?

No, I'm going to law school. Sometimes quality is important to people as well, or else no one would bother to visit a law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neal721

New

Post by neal721 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:54 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
jbarl1 wrote: Penn State rose a lot in the rankings last year, so I think it is a bit surprising that it dropped so much this year.

such a strong jump in the past 3 years. it was bound to level out sometime.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

or...um...getting people to actually buy these things?

or yeah maybe it's regression towards the mean, that too
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Seattle U dropped 8 spots...STTT Louis U....this wouldn't have happened if you admitted those above both your 75th percentiles!! I got a little satisfaction about seeing those drops (I'll still apply to Seattle U next year anyway).

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Wow, UC Davis really left Hastings in the dust, 28th - wonder why the jump. Also, for whoever posted that thread wondering, Chapman was right, it did officially join the T2. (not that that changes much) Loyola LA back where it belongs after 1 year drop due to unexpected PT ranking inclusion - same with GW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm

underdawg wrote: or...um...getting people to actually buy these things?
or yeah maybe it's regression towards the mean, that too
YOU CYNICAL BASTARD

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Great, but I care about which is the better school today. Regardless of where anyone goes, wouldn't it be a great idea for USNWR to have "student ambassadors" or something, a few people that visited each law school (or at least t50) for a few days and sat in on every class to weigh that portion of how valuable a school is? Almost like food inspectors I guess... it just would have been so helpful to have someone tell me a ranking of a school's academic integrity rather than a score based off of what everyone's placement rate and LSAT was. I can't be the only nerd on TLS that enjoys learning for the sake of learning.
So... you're pissed about this year's rankings but a solid trend that is more reflective of actual quality and reputation doesn't matter? Gotcha.
I can look up every school's scores and placement rates on my own, but I can't visit every law school. So yes, I am saying an additional ranking by USNWR or some other agency would be helpful, it's not like any ranking system is the be all end all.

acstas87

New

Post by acstas87 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Washington Lee falls...again.
Out of the top 30 in fact. Their continual slide is somewhat worrying.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:58 pm

ruleser wrote:Wow, UC Davis really left Hastings in the dust, 28th - wonder why the jump. Also, for whoever posted that thread wondering, Chapman was right, it did officially join the T2. (not that that changes much) Loyola LA back where it belongs after 1 year drop due to unexpected PT ranking inclusion - same with GW.
There is something fishy about reporting a 97% employment rate for a school in a state decimated by legal layoffs. There is no other school ranked around Davis that comes even close to that.

That is all I have to say.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”