USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
T14_Scholly

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Next year, I'm willing to put in about 5-10 hours of work to create a believable hoax leak.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Does anyone else think that the the lawyer/judge rating is more important than the rankings themselves? I mean they're the ones who will be hiring you when you get out of law school.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

honestabe84 wrote:Does anyone else think that the the lawyer/judge rating is more important than the rankings themselves? I mean they're the ones who will be hiring you when you get out of law school.

If you want hiring data, look at hiring data. Judging based on a national survey with a lower response rate is not going to yield accurate results. For the t14 its going to inaccurate, and for the regional schools it is downright misleading.

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Does anyone know how ASU managed to jump so many spots and overcame Arizona in the rankings? What statistically does ASU have that makes it so much different than last year? Can anyone explain this without posting a picture of ASU cheerleaders?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Yellowcard wrote:Does anyone know how ASU managed to jump so many spots and overcame Arizona in the rankings? What statistically does ASU have that makes it so much different than last year? Can anyone explain this without posting a picture of ASU cheerleaders?

I think it's been discussed that they may have fenagled their employment stats.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:Does anyone else think that the the lawyer/judge rating is more important than the rankings themselves? I mean they're the ones who will be hiring you when you get out of law school.

If you want hiring data, look at hiring data. Judging based on a national survey with a lower response rate is not going to yield accurate results. For the t14 its going to inaccurate, and for the regional schools it is downright misleading.

Pro NU trolling.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:22 pm

holydonkey wrote:T12 and T17 are better descriptions than T14.

I apologize for the double post.

And +1 to the above.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

What is the Desert Fox t14 of jobs?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Pro NU trolling.

:lol: It is a well-known fact that - at least recently - major employers have a pro-Northwestern bias.

I know. But I wonder if this is simply that practically all of their students have work experience, which boosts everyone's stats. As in, I'm pretty sure that across the board, students with WE fare better at OCI or even job-hunting outside of OCI than students without prior WE, and since NU has more of them, they do better placement-wise. But perhaps these same students can go to other schools and get the same jobs with their WE.

Either way, I love NU's strategy. I believe they've really found a way to differentiate themselves among employers, and it seems to be working.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:43 pm

holybartender wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

What is the Desert Fox t13 of jobs?

YHS
CCN
BMVPDNC

Though after 2009 Cornell is on the bubble.
Last edited by 09042014 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm

JCougar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Pro NU trolling.

Yeah right. I wish.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
holybartender wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

What is the Desert Fox t13 of jobs?

YHS
CCN
BMVPDBC

Anti-NU trolling.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:46 pm

JCougar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
YHS
CCN
BMVPDNC

Anti-NU trolling.

I hope NU teaches typing.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 pm

JCougar wrote:
charlesjd wrote:I says around 7 hours and 35 minutes... so yeah.

Talk about a now anti-climactic countdown.

US News has been foiled again by a rogue newsstand at a NYC train stop and the ultra-gunners and rankings whores of TLS. :D

+1

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

charlesjd wrote:
JCougar wrote:
charlesjd wrote:I says around 7 hours and 35 minutes... so yeah.

Talk about a now anti-climactic countdown.

US News has been foiled again by a rogue newsstand at a NYC train stop and the ultra-gunners and rankings whores of TLS. :D

+1

I just feel bad for the people who shelled out the money to USNWR to get it online before it was supposedly released in print....well, maybe I don't.

Topher

Postby Topher » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Pro-GULC trolling ensues...

Because I am utterly fed up with all of the anti-Georgetown trolling that plagues these boards for reasons that utterly escape me - the most recent of which in this particular thread being the separation of GULC from the rest of the T-14 in both the pictures post and the "T13" of Desert Fox, as if it does not belong in the same breath as Cornell, Northwestern, Virginia, and Duke - I feel the need to point out the bullshit-ness of the USNews rankings when it comes to law school programs. Georgetown, being the only T-14 school that offers a Part-Time Program, get's utterly screwed by the selectivity rating. Since Part-Time programs are easier to get into, Georgetown's selectivity score takes a hit. If the rankings were to be a true comparison of the top law schools, then they really should reflect the fact that many of the top schools don't offer Part Time programs, rather than allowing the schools like Georgetown and GW to take a beating compared to their true peers who do not have a less selective Part-Time program weighing down their selectivity rating.

So, those of you who are pissed Georgetown didn't accept you and those of you who think that Georgetown is beneath you because you got into a "better" program according to the flawed USNews calculation can continue your trolling, but you people are ridiculous.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
YHS
CCN
BMVPDNC

Anti-NU trolling.

I hope NU teaches typing.

:D

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Topher wrote:Pro-GULC trolling ensues...

Because I am utterly fed up with all of the anti-Georgetown trolling that plagues these boards for reasons that utterly escape me - the most recent of which in this particular thread being the separation of GULC from the rest of the T-14 in both the pictures post and the "T13" of Desert Fox, as if it does not belong in the same breath as Cornell, Northwestern, Virginia, and Duke - I feel the need to point out the bullshit-ness of the USNews rankings when it comes to law school programs. Georgetown, being the only T-14 school that offers a Part-Time Program, get's utterly screwed by the selectivity rating. Since Part-Time programs are easier to get into, Georgetown's selectivity score takes a hit. If the rankings were to be a true comparison of the top law schools, then they really should reflect the fact that many of the top schools don't offer Part Time programs, rather than allowing the schools like Georgetown and GW to take a beating compared to their true peers who do not have a less selective Part-Time program weighing down their selectivity rating.

So, those of you who are pissed Georgetown didn't accept you and those of you who think that Georgetown is beneath you because you got into a "better" program according to the flawed USNews calculation can continue your trolling, but you people are ridiculous.

What is the argument against including part-time statistics? They chose to have a part-time program, and thus it's easier to get into the school. Especially when it's relatively easy to transition from one to the other.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I think we can all agree that GeorgeTTTown should be ranked somewhere between 20 and 30.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:11 pm

honestabe84 wrote:

I think we can all agree that GeorgeTTTown should be ranked somewhere between 20 and 30.

Just kidding. That's a flame. I wish I even had a chance in hell at being waitlisted at Georgetown.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm

holybartender wrote:

What is the argument against including part-time statistics? They chose to have a part-time program, and thus it's easier to get into the school. Especially when it's relatively easy to transition from one to the other.

There is no reason Gtown has to make its PT easier to get into than the rest of the school.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
There is no reason Gtown has to make its PT easier to get into than the rest of the school.

Right, hence my argument that to not include PT statistics in selectivity ratings is misleading. As to whether or not selectivity ratings and by extension US News matter, I'm not going to even approach.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Why Gulc isn't a T13 law school.

Image Image
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
[url]http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045&hbxlogin=1
[/url]

Vault placement in 2006
Vault 100 Placement
Percentage of class and raw numbers of class placed reported Vault 100 firms.

4 Columbia 80.2%
3 Harvard 74.1%
6 Chicago 71.4%
1 Yale 68.8%
2 Stanford 65.9%
4 NYU 61.2%
11 Duke 55.8%
12 Northwestern 53.1%
7 Penn 49.4%
13 Cornell 43.0%
8 Virginia 41.4%
8 Michigan 41.3%
14 Georgetown 34.4%
16 Texas 28.7%
8 Boalt 27.7%
15 UCLA 19.9%

In terms of job placement it's been consistently no better than other T14-18 law schools. It makes no sense to say Gtown is T14 and Vandy isn't.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm not sure why so many schools get brownie points for starting PT programs that serve different people that have to work, etc. as if they are doing some great public service.

One of the main reasons PT programs were created is that the schools could let a bunch of people in the back door who are forced to pay full tuition (which has careened out of control) without it affecting their medians.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why Gulc isn't a T13 law school.

Image Image
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
[url]http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045&hbxlogin=1
[/url]

Vault placement in 2006
Vault 100 Placement
Percentage of class and raw numbers of class placed reported Vault 100 firms.

4 Columbia 80.2%
3 Harvard 74.1%
6 Chicago 71.4%
1 Yale 68.8%
2 Stanford 65.9%
4 NYU 61.2%
11 Duke 55.8%
12 Northwestern 53.1%
7 Penn 49.4%
13 Cornell 43.0%
8 Virginia 41.4%
8 Michigan 41.3%
14 Georgetown 34.4%
16 Texas 28.7%
8 Boalt 27.7%
15 UCLA 19.9%

In terms of job placement it's been consistently no better than other T14-18 law schools. It makes no sense to say Gtown is T14 and Vandy isn't.

That list has been updated for 2009. http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1Georgetown is behind Vandy now and most of the rest of the T14 is now only at about 50% in NLJ 250 firms.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”