USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
soullesswonder

Silver

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:27 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I'm compiling a list with last year's ranks (and changes) in parentheses for Law School Predictor. Anyone notice the big Arizona State jump?
ASU did amazing. 20 spots and leapfrogging U of A for the first time. That's ridiculously good for them.
watch them give back at least 10 spots next year. What USNWR giveth, it also taketh away.
asu's dean isnt playing around. he wants up on the rankings. asu has the resources and legal environment to get it done if nobody f's it up.

of course, they also have the resources and athletic environment to run out competitive ncaa football and basketball programs, but they dont.
I could probably search back 1-2 years and find people saying the same thing about IU and Bama. Let's see if you can hold on to your gains next year.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
ejjones wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I'm compiling a list with last year's ranks (and changes) in parentheses for Law School Predictor.

Anyone notice the big Arizona State jump?
Yes, does that constitue the largest jump? Any guesses as to why?

So that USNWR made sure we knew what a joke they are. Seriously? a tie between BU, Emory, ND, Minnesota and BU/Emory got kicked out of t20 by george washington (#28 last year)?? This is so stupid, I know it doesn't make a big difference from one to the other but Emory and Minnesota clearly beat BU and ND. And don't even get me started on George Washington or ASU. Or Hofstra. Or Hawaii. or...the list goes on and on.
:lol:

GW has always been better than Emory, regardless of what the rankings have said from year to year.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Always Credited wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
ejjones wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I'm compiling a list with last year's ranks (and changes) in parentheses for Law School Predictor.

So that USNWR made sure we knew what a joke they are. Seriously? a tie between BU, Emory, ND, Minnesota and BU/Emory got kicked out of t20 by george washington (#28 last year)?? This is so stupid, I know it doesn't make a big difference from one to the other but Emory and Minnesota clearly beat BU and ND. And don't even get me started on George Washington or ASU. Or Hofstra. Or Hawaii. or...the list goes on and on.
Yeah GWU is really a shit school man. Same league as Hofstra/ASU/hawaii for sure.
that's not what I was implying. I meant it had one of the larger jumps, it's not like I listed the entirety of the t2. And I'm not a man, man.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:31 pm

doomed123 wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
ejjones wrote:

GW has always been better than Emory, regardless of what the rankings have said from year to year.

How so?

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Why are people lamenting Bama's 8 place drop?? I thought we were in consensus that they were overrated and their ranking was hollow due to gaming the system.
Not as overrated as Iowa, though.

I haven't been following this for years like a lot of people on here have. What was Alabama doing to game the system? Do people feel this is where they should truly be? 38?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Anyone have any idea why Penn State dropped from 65 to 72? With the brand new building and the very well known name, I thought for sure it would keep going up the rankings.

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:32 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
doomed123 wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:

How so?
Placement.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
ejjones wrote:

Yes (if we exclude Hawai'i's return to the T2/#72 after a one-year hiatus, due, in part, to reporting issues). ASU jumped 17 spots and dethroned UArizona as the top law school in the state.

Loyola-LA and St. John's also had some notable climbs (both jumped 15 spots).

Also: Almost done with comparison list.
Missouri took a 27-spot dive. :shock:
ouch!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doomed123

Bronze

Post by doomed123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 pm

primusux wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Why are people lamenting Bama's 8 place drop?? I thought we were in consensus that they were overrated and their ranking was hollow due to gaming the system.

I haven't been following this for years like a lot of people on here have. What was Alabama doing to game the system? Do people feel this is where they should truly be? 38?
iTunes gift cards. The sneaky bastards.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

So guys, just to remind everyone, the new term is T12. Bye bye Cornell and GULC.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm

thickfreakness wrote:So guys, just to remind everyone, the new term is T12. Bye bye Cornell and GULC.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
ejjones wrote:

Yes (if we exclude Hawai'i's return to the T2/#72 after a one-year hiatus, due, in part, to reporting issues). ASU jumped 17 spots and dethroned UArizona as the top law school in the state.

Loyola-LA and St. John's also had some notable climbs (both jumped 15 spots).

Also: Almost done with comparison list.
That's what I thought, thanks for your efforts by the way.

Lawyerwannabe18

New

Post by Lawyerwannabe18 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:40 pm

University of Washington dropped? Any reason why?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:41 pm

doomed123 wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
doomed123 wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:

How so?
Placement.
I guess. Maybe Emory needs to make it's graduating class gigantic as well to jump in the rankings. I want our t20 spot back! Seriously though, out of all the schools I looked at, Emory was the most underrated on the rankings, I guess that's why I'm even more pissed today seeing it drop to 22.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Someone comment on Penn State please...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

soullesswonder wrote: I could probably search back 1-2 years and find people saying the same thing about IU and Bama. Let's see if you can hold on to your gains next year.
I think ASU's economic market is far more relevant than anything going on in Bama or Indiana. The Phoenix will continue to rise!

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

I hope everyone realizes that these rankings have still not been proven to be legit.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Buffalo isn't TTT and Syracuse is not T2...anyone buying into this and picks Syracuse over Buff has made a poor decision.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
Actually, according to PreLaw Handbook Iowa's avg. USNWR ranking from '87-'99 was 21.3. From 2000-2009 it was 23.5 (I added in last year's 26). Thus, with history as any guide, Iowa is right about where it should be :D

Check out Iowa's peer and judge/lawyer assessment...there is more to a school than a lsat median and BigLaw placement
Last edited by Slimpee on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
doomed123 wrote:GW has always been better than Emory, regardless of what the rankings have said from year to year.
I almost posted this, but declined because I knew someone else would come through.

Maybe in your opinion, but Emory still doesn't get the credit it deserves regardless if it is ranked higher or lower than GW.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:44 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Someone comment on Penn State please...

It's time for Paterno to go.

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:44 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I hope everyone realizes that these rankings have still not been proven to be legit.
Did you know there's a map printed on the back of the Constitution?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”