USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
danquayle

Silver

Re: USNWR Rankings Released...Seriously

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I apologize if this has already been discussed, but did anyone notice that Duke is the only school claiming 100% employment upon graduation? Can they be for real? My bullshit meter is screaming.
Yeah, any of those 100% is suspicious, regardless of metric. Only Wisconsin's 100% bar passage is believable.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I apologize if this has already been discussed, but did anyone notice that Duke is the only school claiming 100% employment upon graduation? Can they be for real? My bullshit meter is screaming.
I really think that if this is going to be allowed to continue then USNWR should just go ahead and scrap the metric all together. All it does is allow 'inferior' schools to close the gap by having a metric in which they can tie/come close to the better schools. It's kind of crazy to imagine the rankings with no employment component, so the real fix to this problem is to make it an actual measure.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Rand M. wrote:
I really think that if this is going to be allowed to continue then USNWR should just go ahead and scrap the metric all together. All it does is allow 'inferior' schools to close the gap by having a metric in which they can tie/come close to the better schools. It's kind of crazy to imagine the rankings with no employment component, so the real fix to this problem is to make it an actual measure.
Yeah, its really the only thing that should matter to prospective students and yet its the easiest to manipulate.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 pm

danquayle wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
Yeah, its really the only thing that should matter to prospective students and yet its the easiest to manipulate.
Why doesn't the bar just track where each lawyer is employed?? They track which school you went too, why not just have to update them on job changes or lack of a job. Then they can report it to everyone.... Wouldn't be a really easy solution to this huge problem.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 pm

danquayle wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
Why doesn't the bar just track where each lawyer is employed?? They track which school you went too, why not just make it mandatory to update them on any job changes or lack of a job. Then they can report it to everyone.... Wouldn't that be a really easy solution to this huge problem?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Unitas wrote:
danquayle wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
Why doesn't the bar just track where each lawyer is employed?? They track which school you went too, why not just make it mandatory to update them on any job changes or lack of a job. Then they can report it to everyone.... Wouldn't that be a really easy solution to this huge problem?
I problem with that is that I think we are the only one's who care. For some reason the top schools don't seem all that interested in creating even more separation than there already is; if they did care they would fight it.

mommamia

New

Post by mommamia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:28 pm

100% employment. I am pretty sure that even working at McDonald's counts (and not in the legal department). The subject was brought up at a recent ASW I attended.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 pm

mommamia wrote:100% employment. I am pretty sure that even working at McDonald's counts (and not in the legal department). The subject was brought up at a recent ASW I attended.
Even if you were to count all sorts of jobs that still doesn't explain how absolutely no one in their class went on to get another degree; really? No one in the class is independently wealthy? There are just too many factors that can intervene for a school to EVER report out full employment. Not a single LLM in the bunch? No Phds?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Unitas wrote: Why doesn't the bar just track where each lawyer is employed?? They track which school you went too, why not just make it mandatory to update them on any job changes or lack of a job. Then they can report it to everyone.... Wouldn't that be a really easy solution to this huge problem?
I problem with that is that I think we are the only one's who care. For some reason the top schools don't seem all that interested in creating even more separation than there already is; if they did care they would fight it.
I mean, I don't get why not. They would all be on equal ground if everyone had to be honest. ABA should track legal employment anyhow, there really is no reason against it.

I don't mean McDonald's burger flipping jobs either. They would have to be jobs that require or are made better by a JD. Maybe even should include salary and bonus. Haha, but then students would be encouraged to estimate high bonuses. Lovely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm sure any of us could find a way to get to 100%...

It means that those who want jobs have jobs.

If I find an alumna who doesn't have a job, I take it to mean that they aren't looking for a job, and so I wouldn't count them in the statistics. Some might be going on to pursue other interests, degrees, etc. The rest... well, if they wanted a job they'd find one flipping burgers. They must not want a job.

It's more like how the government defines unemployment - those who are actively seeking jobs and don't have one.

See, easy 100%

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Rand M. wrote:
mommamia wrote:100% employment. I am pretty sure that even working at McDonald's counts (and not in the legal department). The subject was brought up at a recent ASW I attended.
Even if you were to count all sorts of jobs that still doesn't explain how absolutely no one in their class went on to get another degree; really? No one in the class is independently wealthy? There are just too many factors that can intervene for a school to EVER report out full employment. Not a single LLM in the bunch? No Phds?
i think usnwr stopped counting unemployed who were not seeking employment or who are continuing formal education

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12 pm

jl2032 wrote:I'm sure any of us could find a way to get to 100%...

If I find an alumna who doesn't have a job, I take it to mean that they aren't looking for a job, and so I wouldn't count them in the statistics. Some might be going on to pursue other interests, degrees, etc. The rest... well, if they wanted a job they'd find one flipping burgers. They must not want a job.

It's more like how the government defines unemployment - those who are actively seeking jobs and don't have one.

See, easy 100%
You don't think you should count someone actively seeking only a legal job? For any career really, but especially legal, taking a poor first job can slot you into a shaky career early on...

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 pm

danquayle wrote:
jl2032 wrote:I'm sure any of us could find a way to get to 100%...

See, easy 100%
You don't think you should count someone actively seeking only a legal job? For any career really, but especially legal, taking a poor first job can slot you into a shaky career early on...
my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously... i guess tone doesn't come across well online...

of course, i think we should count legal employment only... i'm just saying it's easy to play with numbers like this...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 pm

jl2032 wrote:
danquayle wrote: You don't think you should count someone actively seeking only a legal job? For any career really, but especially legal, taking a poor first job can slot you into a shaky career early on...
my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously... i guess tone doesn't come across well online...

of course, i think we should count legal employment only... i'm just saying it's easy to play with numbers like this...
It was just this part:
jl2032 wrote:
If I find an alumna who doesn't have a job, I take it to mean that they aren't looking for a job
As if you met someone from (what is it, Columbia?) that didn't have a law job you'd think you just weren't trying... I don't see many Columbia grads taking up work as a cab driver if they don't have an offer coming out. Of course, that'd be a story to tell the customers. Prob get booku tips.

Edit: Then again, from Columbia... maybe it would be safe to say an unemployed alum isn't trying too hard

jl2032

Bronze

Post by jl2032 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 pm

danquayle wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
danquayle wrote: You don't think you should count someone actively seeking only a legal job? For any career really, but especially legal, taking a poor first job can slot you into a shaky career early on...

It was just this part:
jl2032 wrote:
If I find an alumna who doesn't have a job, I take it to mean that they aren't looking for a job
As if you met someone from (what is it, Columbia?) that didn't have a law job you'd think you just weren't trying... I don't see many Columbia grads taking up work as a cab driver if they don't have an offer coming out. Of course, that'd be a story to tell the customers. Prob get booku tips.

Edit: Then again, from Columbia... maybe it would be safe to say an unemployed alum isn't trying too hard
My entire post wasn't serious... I'm just saying that you could take a real extreme view and rationalize excluding everyone who isn't employed to get to 100%

"it depends on what your definition of 'is' is."

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:20 pm

jl2032 wrote:
danquayle wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

It was just this part:
jl2032 wrote:

My entire post wasn't serious... I'm just saying that you could take a real extreme view and rationalize excluding everyone who isn't employed to get to 100%

"it depends on what your definition of 'is' is."
Uh, Res ipsa loquitur?

Just kidding. I don't even know what that means.

CEO

New

Post by CEO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 pm

I understand there are are some criteria to these rankings like bar passage rate and the alumni's (un)employment level after graduation :wink:

Does anyone know how they weigh the factors to come up with the score and which factors are weighted more heavily?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 pm

CEO wrote:I understand there are are some criteria to these rankings like bar passage rate and the alumni's (un)employment level after graduation :wink:

Does anyone know how they weigh the factors to come up with the score and which factors are weighted more heavily?

Thanks!
http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... ology.html

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Rand M. wrote:

FWIW the really small class size might help produce something seemingly improbable like this.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Dude you better get some hard evidence that it's false. The TLS police (*ahem* SBL *ahem*) will not allow you make allegations you can't back up with facts.

CEO

New

Post by CEO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 pm

Rand M. wrote:
CEO wrote:I understand there are are some criteria to these rankings like bar passage rate and the alumni's (un)employment level after graduation :wink:

Thanks!

Cool!

P.S.
Do you know where to get a break-down of where each law school lies on each component like quality, selectivity, etc?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:00 am

Rand M. wrote:

"The employment rates for 2008 graduating class determine success in this category. Graduates who are working or pursuing graduate degrees are considered employed." From the USNWR methodology page.... At least that much is not fudged.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:36 am

http://www.law.duke.edu/news/story?id=4826&u=11

Duke's not backing down, and FWIW, the process described in this article is almost exactly what I was told at ASW. Duke mobilized just about everyone to make sure their grads had jobs.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:50 am

CEO wrote:
Rand M. wrote:

Thanks!

Cool!

P.S.
Do you know where to get a break-down of where each law school lies on each component like quality, selectivity, etc?
http://money-law.blogspot.com/2008/08/z ... n-law.html

I haven't seen one for this year, but this is a pretty good breakdown. Z-scores are pretty simple to understand; a bigger number is better. The chart is really small, but you can just save it and then open it and zoom in.

Dick Whitman

Bronze

Post by Dick Whitman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

Anyone who went to Duke Law is much more likely to be working at Goldman Sachs than McDonald's.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”