Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall- HELP!!!!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
keandeskie

Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall- HELP!!!!

Postby keandeskie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm

So I only have 2 days to decide.

I got into Rutgers with a 1,000 New Jersey grant and a 6,000 renewable scholarship with a 3.0. Seton Hall gave me a renewable 35,000 with a top 50% of the class stipulation. Essentially, its going to be close to even as far as finance is concerned, but Seton Hall might be a bit cheaper. I was leaning towards Seton Hall until I read some recent posts talking about how terrible it was.

What do you guys think?

mhd08

Re: Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall- HELP!!!!

Postby mhd08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Check out my thread. Similar dillema, plus waitlists. Mainly a SHU vs. RU-N discussion, though:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113990

keandeskie

Postby keandeskie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm

yeah i was reading that. its what really got me concerned. other than the location, do you know of any reason why i shouldnt go to seton hall over rutgers? that seems to be the big one for everyone.

amclane

Postby amclane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:30 pm

keandeskie wrote:yeah i was reading that. its what really got me concerned. other than the location, do you know of any reason why i shouldnt go to seton hall over rutgers? that seems to be the big one for everyone.

The schools are pretty much the same location....

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Both schools are in the same place (Newark); though SHU is more convenient to Newark-Penn Station. SHU is higher ranked but Rutgers has a better reputation in the legal community. Seton Hall has larger class sizes. Seton Hall will also be significantly more expensive if you lose your scholarship. Seton Hall has a Baylor-esque "where there's smoke, there's fire" iffy reputation. Rutgers does not (mostly because it's the state flagship and much less expensive.

I personally prefer Rutgers, but if you like SHU better, go there. It's really a personal preference thing at this point. I would pick Rutgers far and away every day of the week, but it's not me making the decision.
Last edited by keg411 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keandeskie

Postby keandeskie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm

thank you, that was the straight forward sort of answer i was looking for. im gonna visit seton tomorrow and make my final decision based on that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”