TX $ vs UVA $ vs UCLA $ vs Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would you pick?

UCLA (60k)
7%
UT (45k)
4%
UVA (75k)
61%
Chicago (sticker)
29%

Total votes: 56

Zammie

TX $ vs UVA $ vs UCLA $ vs Chicago

Postby Zammie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 am

I am having trouble deciding so if people can give me suggestions on why they would choose a particular school, it might be very helpful and give me more things to think about.

Just in case you are curious, these are my current thoughts on the schools.
    UT- I loved Austin and felt right at home but it would be cheaper to go to UCLA. (45K total scholarship)
    UCLA is the cheapest option but not by that much. I am from CA and it would be nice to stay around my family, but I am concerned about job opportunities. (60k)
    UVA... I went to one of their ASWs. I found it really preppy. I feel like I could eventually be happy there, but it might be a rough transition. (75k)
    Chicago- I would be paying sticker. I have been talked to a current student and we seem to get along pretty well. It definitely is nerdier than the other three.

I think I want to do government work.

Edit: I did not mean nerdier as a bad thing, in fact I meant it in a fond manner. I go to a very nerdy undergrad and am perfectly happy there. Also, I have talked to other students at Chicago just not as in depth as the one that I mentioned above.
Last edited by Zammie on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Re: TX $ vs UVA $ vs UCLA $ vs Chicago

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:35 am

I think this is between UVA and Chicago, both of whom place noticeably better in DC than UT or UCLA (I assume you mean federal government work).

I would normally say UCLA with half tuition, but sounds like you weren't completely sold on the school itself. It's pretty important to be happy where you go to school, so I'd probably say Chicago.

le_taon

Postby le_taon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:53 am

To me the determinative question here, is what type of government work, and what type of legal education do you want? Do you want academia?

I think you'll have a marginally better shot at clerking and DOJ Honors-type work at Chicago. But whether that justifies the debt remains to be seen. And with LRAP it may not matter much, frankly.

UVA's a d*** good school and to have that much money coming your way is no small thing. Have you taken that to Chicago and asked them to counter? I'd be surprised if they didn't throw you a bone.

bauerahl

Postby bauerahl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:42 am

Sounds like you weren't thrilled about Virginia so I'd certainly focus on getting Chicago to throw some money your way. Chicago will get you to D.C. better than Virginia (who in turn will get there far better than UT or UCLA). No sense being unhappy for three years. If I were you, I'd take Chicago even without money but it's a close call and Virginia is an awesome school.

Zammie

Postby Zammie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Chicago's website says they do not do matching. Has any one had experience with their financial aid department?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:27 pm

Go to Chicago.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Zammie wrote:
    Chicago- I would be paying sticker. I have been talked to a current student and we seem to get along pretty well. It definitely is nerdier than the other three.

You've talked with one student and the whole school is "definitely nerdier than the other three"?

I mean, I would've agreed pre-ASW, but it is no more/less nerdy than its peer schools. In fact, the 1Ls and 2Ls I met at ASW were mostly cooler than most of the admitted students who said they were leaning towards other schools.

And to answer your question, it depends where you wanna live. Chicago is the most portable, but if you wanna live in Texas then go to Texas. Other southern states, go to UVA. Cali should maybe be UCLA? But idk.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Unless you want Texas, UVA and Chicago should be the only options.

I'd learn towards Chicago in your case.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:50 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:55 pm

75k is a ton of money, and even more when you're working in government. UVA places excellently into Gov.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”