Fordham PT vs Rutgers FT... deadline is here!!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nymets123

New

Fordham PT vs Rutgers FT... deadline is here!!!

Post by nymets123 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:21 pm

so I know I posted a similar yet broader question a few weeks ago but now it comes down to these two options. I have Wake and U Colorado, Ohio State on the table as well among others but what it boils down to is that I want to start my career in NYC/NJ and going to a strong/decent regional school elsewhere won't get me that.

Rutgers Newark FT - after discounts for instate status and a 10k a year scholly, would cost me $103,200 TOTAL

Fordham Evening Division - after intended switch to fulltime status after first year, and while paying sticker would cost me $210,000 TOTAL

I have deposited at Fordham but as the Rutgers deposit deadline approaches in a few days im looking for some final input. These are the estimated costs but honestly I think I can drag the actual cost down a bit by being spending-conscious during school -cheap housing, not splurging on unneeded shit...I can survive on a small budget, I have lots of experience in doing so, and my family lives close by so having them there can help defray a few minor costs possibly also but that cant be relied on.

I am interested in corporate work in the short term and government work in the long term. Where should I go? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!!

keg411

Platinum

Re: Fordham PT vs Rutgers FT... deadline is here!!!

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm

How is RU costing you that much? Serious question, because I've done the math and I'll run solidly under 100k there and I can't imagine if you got into Fordham PT that you got a smaller scholarship than I did.

nymets123

New

Post by nymets123 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:01 pm

keg411 wrote:How is RU costing you that much? Serious question, because I've done the math and I'll run solidly under 100k there and I can't imagine if you got into Fordham PT that you got a smaller scholarship than I did.

cost of attendance at RU is 44,400 instate living off campus

$44,400 - 10k a year scholly = $34,400 a year

$34,400 x 3 = $103,200

This figure is probably overblown and I wont actually have to borrow that amount.

tuition total would cost me 34,500 over the cost of the degree so yes expenses besides that prob wont add up to give me a total of over 100k but going by school borrowing figures...

correct me if im wrong

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:19 am

OP, I am an evening student. Have loved it so far. You can work or network (as you see fit) during the day, and even during our last OCI, Fordham got a ton of contact from firms. We had 253 of them, compared with 57 at RU-N. Rutgers is a terrific value, and even more so for in state students, but if you are thinking at all of corporate law, I would definitely choose Fordham. Going PT has been a great experience, and the location is invaluable. I would do it again in a heartbeat, though I am also paying sticker.

Statistics are here: --LinkRemoved-- I restricted the search to law firms.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 am

keg411 wrote:How is RU costing you that much? Serious question, because I've done the math and I'll run solidly under 100k there and I can't imagine if you got into Fordham PT that you got a smaller scholarship than I did.
i'm also wondering how you got such a high figure

according to http://www.top-law-schools.com/rutgers-newark-law.html, in-state tuition is only $21,302.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”