San Diego or IUPUI?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

San Diego or IUPUI

San Diego
1
8%
University of Indiana--Indianapolis w/20K
5
42%
Pitt Law--19k
6
50%
 
Total votes: 12

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

danquayle wrote:With a suspiciously small Indianapolis...


It's written just like I said.

danquayle wrote: The caveat to that being that the really plum jobs more frequently go to Bloomington graduates.


Evidence to support this? I have not found this to be true, in fact, I have found the opposite to be true.

nick637 wrote: chitown, may I ask what you pay per year to live in Indy? 65k total debt is outstanding considering your paying almost 20k in tuition alone. savings?


I'm married, so I have an income that helps. I won't get into further detail.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:33 pm

chitown825 wrote:
danquayle wrote:With a suspiciously small Indianapolis...


It's written just like I said.

danquayle wrote: The caveat to that being that the really plum jobs more frequently go to Bloomington graduates.


Evidence to support this? I have not found this to be true, in fact, I have found the opposite to be true.

nick637 wrote: chitown, may I ask what you pay per year to live in Indy? 65k total debt is outstanding considering your paying almost 20k in tuition alone. savings?


I'm married, so I have an income that helps. I won't get into further detail.


gotcha, didn't mean to be intrusive. just curious.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm

chitown825 wrote:
danquayle wrote:With a suspiciously small Indianapolis...


It's written just like I said.

danquayle wrote: The caveat to that being that the really plum jobs more frequently go to Bloomington graduates.


Evidence to support this? I have not found this to be true, in fact, I have found the opposite to be true.

nick637 wrote: chitown, may I ask what you pay per year to live in Indy? 65k total debt is outstanding considering your paying almost 20k in tuition alone. savings?


I'm married, so I have an income that helps. I won't get into further detail.


Just the personal experience of an IUB alum. From my personal experience, the top of Bloomington's class (10-15%) goes out of state to Chicago, DC or elsehwere. The next notch (20-25%) goes to the good firms in Indianapolis. I don't hear of many IU-Indy people leaving the state.

If you look at the Big Indy firms (Ice Miller, Baker Daniels), the numbers are pretty even from both Bloom and Indy. From what I can tell, Kightlinger probably favors Bloomington a little and Hall Render Indy a little. The big difference is that far more Bloomington people leave.

Look, I'm on your side. I think IU-Indy is a very good school, and its, like I said, gold in Indy. I don't want to turn this into an internal Indiana dispute... but yes, its my personal observations that the top 10% person at Bloomington wins out over the top 10% person at Indianapolis. There's no shame in that, just as there'd be no shame in saying a top 10% person at Illinois wins out over a top 10% person at Loyola in most situations. But I will say that the median at IU-Indy seems to do much better in Indianapolis than the median at IU-Bloomington does. This is probably because, like you say, if you don't have the grades, its much easier to "work your way" into a job at IU-Indy than Bloomington.

I just can't help but enjoy ribbing the IU-Indy people a bit, thats all. And yes, the Indianapolis is quite small. :twisted:

My namesake's diploma:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/ ... iploma.jpg

:)

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 pm

This sounds like the kind of information I was looking for. I think, at Indy, I can get by with just the 20K in federal loans. I'll come out with close to 110K, but that's with like forty from undergrad and a previous (ill-advised) graduate degree. On the bright side, I should have zero personal debt outside of student loans.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Saviourofman wrote:This sounds like the kind of information I was looking for. I think, at Indy, I can get by with just the 20K in federal loans. I'll come out with close to 110K, but that's with like forty from undergrad and a previous (ill-advised) graduate degree. On the bright side, I should have zero personal debt outside of student loans.


Honestly, if you're totally geography neutral I think IU-Indy is the clear choice... The schools are very similar, and COL is going to be much cheaper in Indy. San Diego's job prospects are a shade better, but not by a large measure.

It's just fucking San Diego man.

Think about that. fucking San Diego.

California

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 pm

yeah, this was the advice I was expecting and the feeling I had going into this. Like you said, though, it's San Diego. It's really hard to turn that down. I think Indy law is the route to take.

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 pm

These are really the only two options you're willing to consider?

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:50 am

They're the best options that I have left, really. I could go to a number of similarly ranked schools, but I was able to find enough information to weed most of them out.

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Just bumping up, because of the new information from Pittsburgh. They've offered me 19k, which is a pretty substantial increase over their initial offer, and has made me consider them with these other two. From what I've read on here, Pitt Law seems to have a lot more respect than the other two and is now my cheapest option, which makes it seem like the no-brainer. Still, does anyone have any information that could confirm or rebuff this?

User avatar
Tall
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Tall » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Information, no. If I was in your situation, however, I would choose Pitt. It seems like a very fun school with a vibrant community that will serve you well post graduation when looking for a job in Pittsburgh. Also, that is a lot of money. I guess you have to choose what city you like better and would be happiest post graduation, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh. Have you visited both?

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Tall wrote:Information, no. If I was in your situation, however, I would choose Pitt. It seems like a very fun school with a vibrant community that will serve you well post graduation when looking for a job in Pittsburgh. Also, that is a lot of money. I guess you have to choose what city you like better and would be happiest post graduation, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh. Have you visited both?


I agree with this poster. Pitt also regularly places into the very best law firms in Pitt, some of which have BigLaw payscales.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: m052310, mike90018, njdevils2626, ss12345 and 4 guests