San Diego or IUPUI?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

San Diego or IUPUI

San Diego
8%
University of Indiana--Indianapolis w/20K
42%
Pitt Law--19k
50%

Total votes: 12

chitown825

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:31 pm

danquayle wrote:With a suspiciously small Indianapolis...

It's written just like I said.

danquayle wrote: The caveat to that being that the really plum jobs more frequently go to Bloomington graduates.

Evidence to support this? I have not found this to be true, in fact, I have found the opposite to be true.

nick637 wrote: chitown, may I ask what you pay per year to live in Indy? 65k total debt is outstanding considering your paying almost 20k in tuition alone. savings?

I'm married, so I have an income that helps. I won't get into further detail.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:33 pm

chitown825 wrote:

danquayle wrote: The caveat to that being that the really plum jobs more frequently go to Bloomington graduates.

Evidence to support this? I have not found this to be true, in fact, I have found the opposite to be true.

nick637 wrote: chitown, may I ask what you pay per year to live in Indy? 65k total debt is outstanding considering your paying almost 20k in tuition alone. savings?

gotcha, didn't mean to be intrusive. just curious.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm

chitown825 wrote:

Just the personal experience of an IUB alum. From my personal experience, the top of Bloomington's class (10-15%) goes out of state to Chicago, DC or elsehwere. The next notch (20-25%) goes to the good firms in Indianapolis. I don't hear of many IU-Indy people leaving the state.

If you look at the Big Indy firms (Ice Miller, Baker Daniels), the numbers are pretty even from both Bloom and Indy. From what I can tell, Kightlinger probably favors Bloomington a little and Hall Render Indy a little. The big difference is that far more Bloomington people leave.

Look, I'm on your side. I think IU-Indy is a very good school, and its, like I said, gold in Indy. I don't want to turn this into an internal Indiana dispute... but yes, its my personal observations that the top 10% person at Bloomington wins out over the top 10% person at Indianapolis. There's no shame in that, just as there'd be no shame in saying a top 10% person at Illinois wins out over a top 10% person at Loyola in most situations. But I will say that the median at IU-Indy seems to do much better in Indianapolis than the median at IU-Bloomington does. This is probably because, like you say, if you don't have the grades, its much easier to "work your way" into a job at IU-Indy than Bloomington.

I just can't help but enjoy ribbing the IU-Indy people a bit, thats all. And yes, the Indianapolis is quite small. :twisted:

My namesake's diploma:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/ ... iploma.jpg

:)

Saviourofman

Postby Saviourofman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 pm

This sounds like the kind of information I was looking for. I think, at Indy, I can get by with just the 20K in federal loans. I'll come out with close to 110K, but that's with like forty from undergrad and a previous (ill-advised) graduate degree. On the bright side, I should have zero personal debt outside of student loans.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Saviourofman wrote:This sounds like the kind of information I was looking for. I think, at Indy, I can get by with just the 20K in federal loans. I'll come out with close to 110K, but that's with like forty from undergrad and a previous (ill-advised) graduate degree. On the bright side, I should have zero personal debt outside of student loans.

Honestly, if you're totally geography neutral I think IU-Indy is the clear choice... The schools are very similar, and COL is going to be much cheaper in Indy. San Diego's job prospects are a shade better, but not by a large measure.

It's just fucking San Diego man.

Think about that. fucking San Diego.

California

Saviourofman

Postby Saviourofman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 pm

yeah, this was the advice I was expecting and the feeling I had going into this. Like you said, though, it's San Diego. It's really hard to turn that down. I think Indy law is the route to take.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:51 pm

These are really the only two options you're willing to consider?

Saviourofman

Postby Saviourofman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:50 am

They're the best options that I have left, really. I could go to a number of similarly ranked schools, but I was able to find enough information to weed most of them out.

Saviourofman

Postby Saviourofman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Just bumping up, because of the new information from Pittsburgh. They've offered me 19k, which is a pretty substantial increase over their initial offer, and has made me consider them with these other two. From what I've read on here, Pitt Law seems to have a lot more respect than the other two and is now my cheapest option, which makes it seem like the no-brainer. Still, does anyone have any information that could confirm or rebuff this?

Tall

Postby Tall » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Information, no. If I was in your situation, however, I would choose Pitt. It seems like a very fun school with a vibrant community that will serve you well post graduation when looking for a job in Pittsburgh. Also, that is a lot of money. I guess you have to choose what city you like better and would be happiest post graduation, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh. Have you visited both?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Tall wrote:Information, no. If I was in your situation, however, I would choose Pitt. It seems like a very fun school with a vibrant community that will serve you well post graduation when looking for a job in Pittsburgh. Also, that is a lot of money. I guess you have to choose what city you like better and would be happiest post graduation, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh. Have you visited both?

I agree with this poster. Pitt also regularly places into the very best law firms in Pitt, some of which have BigLaw payscales.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”