San Diego or IUPUI?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

San Diego or IUPUI

San Diego
1
8%
University of Indiana--Indianapolis w/20K
5
42%
Pitt Law--19k
6
50%
 
Total votes: 12

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I got into a few schools, but after talking to people it sounds like this is the choice I'm going to be making. I've got family in both locations, although I'm not particularly close to either (closer to SD, though). Indianapolis has offered 20K a year and San Diego isn't offering anything, but some have lead me to believe that career prospects are better our of San Diego. Perusing the old forums on this board, though, has lead me to believe they may not be good out of either.

Waiting a year, while an option, is unattractive for several reasons. It's sort of a law school now, or somewhere down the road, maybe, situation.

Does anyone on here have a legitimate reason to take one over the other (aside from personal preference)? Of course I prefer to live in San Diego the rest of my life, but I'd rather have a decent job where ever. I'm not too into the super high end salary (although it would be nice). Being able to pay my bills, however, is a priority.

Edit: Pitt Law sort of threw me for a loop by increasing a scholarship offer that helps make it that much more affordable. From what I've heard this might now be my best option, so if anyone can weigh in on any experiences, or information, that might help me decide (all over again), I'd appreciate that.
Last edited by Saviourofman on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:19 pm

This must be a really bad question for some reason. I wish I knew which way that went, though.

amclane
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby amclane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm

I think if you want to live in San Diego, and you are sure that you want to go to law school, you should go there. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure you would do reasonably well out of it... enough to pay the bills at least. I don't think it's worth it at all to go to a school in an area you don't want to live.

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 pm

I'd say my preference for San Diego is like 60-40. I wouldn't mind living in Indy. I would prefer San Diego, though, as I'm sure most people--all things equal--would. It won't make my decision for me, unless San Diego has job prospects better than indy. The extra 60K in debt worries me.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 pm

IUPUI's nickname in indiana and ohio is - ewwwey pooey (roughly like pronouncing iupui as a word) ...


Dood, its a really bad school. I think their median is like 148. Atleast San Diego is a degree resespected SOMEWHERE as opposed to nowhere

mommamia
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby mommamia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 pm

It really depends on where you want to work. IU-Indy is a beautiful school. The court room is much nicer that all that I have toured- and they were much higher ranked. The building is less than 10 years old. I have heard that it is a good school for those wanting to go into government because it is based in the state capital. I also heard that Indianapolis is not a strong market for IP - so if that is your interest you may wish to look elsewhere.

I have concerns about employment in California. However, you can make it work where ever you want. Can you receive in state tuition at either?

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 am

I can't make in state at either. San Diego is a private school. Indy is offering a scholarship for 20K that essentially wipes out the out of state portion. It's contingent on my staying in the top 40%, but from what most people are saying it seems like I'd do best to drop out if I'm not in the top 40% anyway. I would like to practice in Cali, but that preference is nominal. if San Diego+60G in debt=Indy , I'd go there. but if Indy is the smarter choice, given the scholarship, I'd be pretty happy in that town, too.

I personally lean toward Indy being the better, choice, but I've heard dismal job information coming from there. While not positive exactly, the outlook at USD seems to be a bit brighter. I was hoping someone could confirm or deny, either way, at either school.

mommamia
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby mommamia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 am

You need to call it IU-Indy. Purdue has nothing to do with it - nor is Purdue part of the medical center at IU-Indy.

I know a lot of very successful people that graudated from IU-Indy. The state of the Indiana economy is much better than many states too. I cannot speak for 2009-2010 graduates, but everyone I know who graduated before this time is doing very well.

However, few or none of the graduates live in California.

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 am

Sorry, I thought IUPUI would distinguish it more clearly from IU--Bloomington. I understand that they're two separate campuses that share space and, not being from the area, don't really get hyped up by the Purdue name (which seems to be a big, big deal locally). For me it was a matter of convenience, not an attempt to appropriate prestige.

Do you have experience with the campus itself, or would you say that your experience would lend itself to your running into only those successful graduates? I'm not trying to question what you're saying, but if you've met ten IU-Indy attorneys at a big firm in Chicago it might be a skewed pool.

The decent economy in and around Indianapolis is one of the things attracting me to the area, though. Especially because, from what I've been hearing, California's recovery could lag severely behind the rest of the nations.

User avatar
Tall
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Tall » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:IUPUI's nickname in indiana and ohio is - ewwwey pooey (roughly like pronouncing iupui as a word) ...


Dood, its a really bad school. I think their median is like 148. Atleast San Diego is a degree resespected SOMEWHERE as opposed to nowhere


75% LSAT 160
25% LSAT 154

From the IU-Indy Law website.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:02 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:IUPUI's nickname in indiana and ohio is - ewwwey pooey (roughly like pronouncing iupui as a word) ...


Dood, its a really bad school. I think their median is like 148. Atleast San Diego is a degree resespected SOMEWHERE as opposed to nowhere


You clearly don't know what you're talking about. IU-Indy is gold in Indianapolis. Nowhere else. But in Indianapolis, you have good prospects.

bobo11111111111
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby bobo11111111111 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:28 pm

danquayle wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:IUPUI's nickname in indiana and ohio is - ewwwey pooey (roughly like pronouncing iupui as a word) ...


Dood, its a really bad school. I think their median is like 148. Atleast San Diego is a degree resespected SOMEWHERE as opposed to nowhere


You clearly don't know what you're talking about. IU-Indy is gold in Indianapolis. Nowhere else. But in Indianapolis, you have good prospects.



I wouldn't say that IU-Indy is gold in Indianapolis... I've heard that IU-Bloomington is though.

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:37 am

I seem to have a lot of people voting for San Diego, but defending IU--Indy. I'm just as confused as before =(

jmhallah
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:50 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby jmhallah » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:20 am

I've talked to many IU-Indy graduates and they have all told me that IU-Indy places very well in Indianapolis, if not better than IU-B. Although an IU-B degree definitely carries more prestige and grants you the ability to work in states other than IN, it doesn't mean that an IU-I degree is worthless.

But for your question, if you have no preference in the place you are working I would go with the cheaper overall option. Get out of school with the least amount of debt possible. Also, do you know what type of law you are interested in? Maybe you should research how strong the programs are at each school.

Good luck

mommamia
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby mommamia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:53 am

Part of it is likely that the city of San Diego sounds a lot more exciting and impressive than the city of Indianapolis. Interesting that there isn't anyone with information about jobs and experiences at San Diego on this thread. No one is really defending SD- they are only defending IU-Indy.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 am

mommamia wrote:Part of it is likely that the city of San Diego sounds a lot more exciting and impressive than the city of Indianapolis. Interesting that there isn't anyone with information about jobs and experiences at San Diego on this thread. No one is really defending SD- they are only defending IU-Indy.


We're defending IU-Indy because an earlier poster attacked it...

Realistically, IU-Indy and San Diego are probably about the same, except that San Diego is in Southern California. They're both city schools that'll probably place well in their home cities and not particularly well elsewhere.

So, in other words, you should go to San Diego. Because it is the MOST BEAUTIFUL CITY IN THE WORLD.

But if you truly don't care about that fact, then know that your job prospects will not be substantially better at San Diego, and certainly not 20k a year better. But I do think you'd be much happier from a quality of life standpoint. I'm not knocking Indianapolis at all, its not a bad city, and its one of the few Midwestern cities actually on something of a rise. Its just it cannot compete with San Diego.

Saviourofman
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby Saviourofman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm not looking to make exactly 20K more per year coming out of either school. I understand that employment prospects largely depend on my place in the class, the economy at the time of graduation, etc. I'm wondering if career are, generally, stronger at San Diego. If they are stronger (i.e., jobs pay better in general, or there are simply many more jobs going to graduates), then are they strong enough to justify the extra 60K in debt I'll accumulate?

Coming out of Indianapolis= roughly 100K, with some of that being undergrad and a previous graduate degree.
Coming out of San Diego= 160-80K (cost of living, plus the 20K a year in extra tuition).

Do the career prospects of USD, combined with the quality of life it offers, validate the extra 60-80K in debt I would accumulate?

Edit: I know this is largely a personal decision, I'm simply looking to see if anyone has any information to help me swing one way or the other. I'm not trying to use this forum to plan my life.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Saviourofman wrote:I'm not looking to make exactly 20K more per year coming out of either school. I understand that employment prospects largely depend on my place in the class, the economy at the time of graduation, etc. I'm wondering if career are, generally, stronger at San Diego. If they are stronger (i.e., jobs pay better in general, or there are simply many more jobs going to graduates), then are they strong enough to justify the extra 60K in debt I'll accumulate?

Coming out of Indianapolis= roughly 100K, with some of that being undergrad and a previous graduate degree.
Coming out of San Diego= 160-80K (cost of living, plus the 20K a year in extra tuition).

Do the career prospects of USD, combined with the quality of life it offers, validate the extra 60-80K in debt I would accumulate?

Edit: I know this is largely a personal decision, I'm simply looking to see if anyone has any information to help me swing one way or the other. I'm not trying to use this forum to plan my life.


glad im not the only one whose gonna be 100k in debt at a T2

mommamia
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby mommamia » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Of course you need to look at cost of living. Indy should win hands down. Again, have you visited both schools?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby RVP11 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:52 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:IUPUI's nickname in indiana and ohio is - ewwwey pooey (roughly like pronouncing iupui as a word) ...


Dood, its a really bad school. I think their median is like 148. Atleast San Diego is a degree resespected SOMEWHERE as opposed to nowhere


STFU.

When someone is deciding between two schools that will certainly not lead to a lifetime of gold and riches, they should be counseled to go to the least expensive option.

OP: go to Indy.

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm a 1L at IU-Indy.

1. The facilities here are incredible. Nearly-brand new building, great classrooms, great location.
2. The cost of living here is incredible (I live in a new apartment building in downtown Indy, and there is also a lot to do in downtown)
3. IU-Indy is in fact gold in Indiana -- there are alums everywhere (largest school in the state)

I have not noticed a benefit to attending Bloomington over Indianapolis, crazy as this sounds. The employers pick us up first because we're here in town and can work throughout the year. Often, we already are situated in Indianapolis and sometimes own homes, so they like that. The Bloomington students seem to think that they will be working in Chicago or New York, but that's only true of the top 5% -- Chicago has plenty of other schools they'd prefer to recruit.

What you need to know is that THIS IS NOT A MOBILE DEGREE. Indiana (Indy and Bloomington) are regional schools. Indianapolis is a great place to live (I came here from out-of-state on a $20k scholarship, too), but you're probably not going to be able to leave.

I would never consider USD, as much as I love the city and would like to live there. The cost of tuition and housing for that school cannot be justified by the T2 prospects. You need to practice debt control. I live a very comfortable life in Indianapolis and will come out of school with less than $65k debt.

That being said... do you have a third choice?

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby chitown825 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Also, don't call it IUPUI. That's a non-selective commuter campus from which we lease space. Our building is by itself at the very edge of campus, and you'll never have any contact with that university except for parking. Our degrees say "Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis"

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:16 pm

chitown825 wrote:Also, don't call it IUPUI. That's a non-selective commuter campus from which we lease space. Our building is by itself at the very edge of campus, and you'll never have any contact with that university except for parking. Our degrees say "Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis"


With a suspiciously small Indianapolis...

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby danquayle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 pm

chitown825 wrote:I'm a 1L at IU-Indy.

1. The facilities here are incredible. Nearly-brand new building, great classrooms, great location.
2. The cost of living here is incredible (I live in a new apartment building in downtown Indy, and there is also a lot to do in downtown)
3. IU-Indy is in fact gold in Indiana -- there are alums everywhere (largest school in the state)

I have not noticed a benefit to attending Bloomington over Indianapolis, crazy as this sounds. The employers pick us up first because we're here in town and can work throughout the year. Often, we already are situated in Indianapolis and sometimes own homes, so they like that. The Bloomington students seem to think that they will be working in Chicago or New York, but that's only true of the top 5% -- Chicago has plenty of other schools they'd prefer to recruit.

What you need to know is that THIS IS NOT A MOBILE DEGREE. Indiana (Indy and Bloomington) are regional schools. Indianapolis is a great place to live (I came here from out-of-state on a $20k scholarship, too), but you're probably not going to be able to leave.

I would never consider USD, as much as I love the city and would like to live there. The cost of tuition and housing for that school cannot be justified by the T2 prospects. You need to practice debt control. I live a very comfortable life in Indianapolis and will come out of school with less than $65k debt.

That being said... do you have a third choice?


This is mostly true. A lot of Indianapolis firms are suspicious of Bloomington people who come in from out of state, because they suspect they don't really want to be in Indiana. So yes, IU-Indy is indeed the go to law school for Indianapolis. The caveat to that being that the really plum jobs more frequently go to Bloomington graduates.

Edit: I've always thought that IU-Indy should just BACK OFF and become Purdue Law. A lot of Bloomington people also think this would be smart, but I'm certain is pisses off the Indianapolis people. But really, wouldn't have your own Big 10 name be something of a boon?

Yes, and I understand that IU-Indy is administered through the IU system, but I'm sure they could reach an agreement...

:)
Last edited by danquayle on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: San Diego or IUPUI?

Postby nick637 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:19 pm

chitown, may I ask what you pay per year to live in Indy? 65k total debt is outstanding considering your paying almost 20k in tuition alone. savings?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests