St. John's or Hofstra?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYCbound96

St. John's or Hofstra?

Postby NYCbound96 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Today I got my acceptance to St. John's with a scholarship of $18,500. I also got into Hofstra with $20,000, and the seat deposit is due by Thursday (4/15). Hofstra's scholarship requires me to be in the top 40%, but St. John's only requires me to be in the top 50% of the class. Let me know which one you guys think I should put down a deposit at and why.

Thanks!

Columbia Law

Re: St. John's or Hofstra?

Postby Columbia Law » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Not good options. If "not go to law school" or "retake" are not options, St. John's by a long shot. Good luck.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:04 pm

St. Johns!!!

NYCbound96

Postby NYCbound96 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:06 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Not good options. If "not go to law school" or "retake" are not options, St. John's by a long shot. Good luck.

Okay, I forgot to mention that I like these options. Thanks for responding, but for future reference, don't answer if you're going to be a pompous ass.

irish017

Postby irish017 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:14 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Not good options. If "not go to law school" or "retake" are not options, St. John's by a long shot. Good luck.

St. Johns with 18,000 is a fine option.

Good look to the OP in Queens.

DonReady

Postby DonReady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:59 pm

St. John's. I was really impressed after their ASD in March. The gap between NY bar passage rates between the two schools is just silly (Hofstra is last in NY state for passaage rate for 1st time test takers).
Last edited by DonReady on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chocho

Postby chocho » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 pm

johnny's

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 pm

NYCbound96 wrote:

Okay, I forgot to mention that I like these options. Thanks for responding, but for future reference, don't answer if you're going to be a pompous ass.

lol...so deserved. St. John's

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:07 pm

SJU... every day is spring break in Jamaica. Seriously though, SJ

Say Hi to Lavin for me

puss'nboots

Postby puss'nboots » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Congrats! I'm was the same boat deciding between Hofstra (35K) and St. John's (21K). In the end I was more excited about Hofstra's program than I was about St. John's. I am very interested in international law and Hofstra had a great program and a lot of interesting study abroad options that wouldn't interfer with summer positions. I also was very interested in their journals. I really enjoyed their accepted student day. Of course, I have to admit, that extra money played a lot into my decision making. Look into the academic programs and see which one is more interesting to you and consider location. The difference between the two schools is negligable and you may be able to negotiate with Hofstra to up your scholarship. As I see it, if I am happy with where I am and what I am doing, I will also do better in school. Good luck!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 pm

puss'nboots wrote: I am very interested in international law and Hofstra had a great program and a lot of interesting study abroad options that wouldn't interfer with summer positions.

What you wrote above is absurdly false. Allow me to elaborate.

SJU's international law program is much more respected both in the US and abroad (namely the E.U. and most of Eastern Asia). Granted, Hofstra's international law program does place better in South America, these jobs tend to be lower paying. SJU places far more of its graduates into prestigious international clerskhips and especially in the international human rights sector. If you are interested in international law, SJU is the clear cut choice.

linquest

Postby linquest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 pm

St. John's by a long shot. It has a better reputation in NYC as well a out-of-state (still what some people will call a "regional" school, but it seems to have better reach than Hofstra), consistently higher-ranked (Hofstra might be in danger of falling into Tier 3), and is closer to opportunities in Manhattan. $4500 is not a huge amount of money for better prospects, especially with a more generous scholarship retention requirement.

puss'nboots

Postby puss'nboots » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:01 am

All I said was that I liked it better. This is my opinion which I am allowed to have. I have found St. John's to be incredibly unwelcoming and unhelpful and haven't been able to feel more than luke warm towards it or its programs. I really do think if the OP could negotiate a better scholarship from Hofstra, it might be a better choice.

chicoalto0649 wrote:
puss'nboots wrote: I am very interested in international law and Hofstra had a great program and a lot of interesting study abroad options that wouldn't interfer with summer positions.

What you wrote above is absurdly false. Allow me to elaborate.

SJU's international law program is much more respected both in the US and abroad (namely the E.U. and most of Eastern Asia). Granted, Hofstra's international law program does place better in South America, these jobs tend to be lower paying. SJU places far more of its graduates into prestigious international clerskhips and especially in the international human rights sector. If you are interested in international law, SJU is the clear cut choice.

NYCbound96

Postby NYCbound96 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

puss'nboots wrote:All I said was that I liked it better. This is my opinion which I am allowed to have. I have found St. John's to be incredibly unwelcoming and unhelpful and haven't been able to feel more than luke warm towards it or its programs. I really do think if the OP could negotiate a better scholarship from Hofstra, it might be a better choice.

I already tried to get a better scholarship from them, but have emailed again with the updated information. We shall see...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”