Emory v Minnesota

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Minnesota ($$)
37%
Emory ($$)
63%

Total votes: 30

cendien

Emory v Minnesota

Postby cendien » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm having a very hard time making a decision here, and I've only got a few more days to make up my mind.

I've got $20k/year at both Minnesota and Emory (and Illinois, but I'm slightly less interested in this one). Assume similar cost at each school (which should be true, for the most part).

Here's what I'm thinking:

I'm from Texas, so I've never lived in cold weather before. I'd like to think I could handle it for a few years at UMN, but it is a factor nonetheless. That said, I hear Minneapolis is an amazing city otherwise. Sounds very Austin-like, from what I've heard and read, and that is definitely a plus for me. I like the idea of a cleaner city, and something that isn't huge is also a turn on.

Atlanta is also a cool city, but its bigger and definitely has its bad areas - though Emory isn't in them, as I understand. I would definitely feel at home in the weather. I don't know a ton else about the city, but when I've been there its seemed alright, though nothing has really stood out as amazing.

Employment-wise, I feel like Minnesota might be a better choice for security, but a worse choice for potential portability (I know they're still both pretty regional). I don't really want to come back to Texas, but I would definitely appreciate the opportunity to practice in places like NY or Chicago, if I do well enough. Minnesota dominates the Midwest, Emory has to compete with UGA and even Duke for its primary market. I am, however, not so sure about living in the northern Midwest forever. I think I might be happier in the south.

I am still waiting on Cornell, Vandy, USC and ND, but only Cornell or Vandy would likely sway me without substantial money from the other two. I'm also riding out UT's waitlist, so this may all be for naught. But I would really really appreciate some reasoned input. I'm pretty torn, though I think I might be leaning UMN at this point, just for the city itself. Please help!

spinecho202

Re: Emory v Minnesota

Postby spinecho202 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm

cendien wrote:.

Employment-wise, I feel like Minnesota might be a better choice for security, but a worse choice for potential portability (I know they're still both pretty regional). I don't really want to come back to Texas, but I would definitely appreciate the opportunity to practice in places like NY or Chicago, if I do well enough. Minnesota dominates the Midwest, Emory has to compete with UGA and even Duke for its primary market. I am, however, not so sure about living in the northern Midwest forever. I think I might be happier in the south.

Minnesota dominates Minneapolis, not the entire midwest...its still a solid 8 hour drive from chicago. (coming from someone living in minneapolis who grew up in chicago)

cendien

Postby cendien » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Ah yes, sorry about that, I meant Northern Midwest. I'm not quite that delusional ;)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm

The good news is that if you are a straight male Atlanta, Minneapolis & Texas all have an abundant supply of beautiful, intelligent women.
Emory University School of Law is located in or near Decatur, Georgia in a very nice urban residential area. Interesting choice of law schools which probably will be determined by your weather preference.

spinecho202

Postby spinecho202 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 pm

minnesota is a great school, but doesn't reallly place much better than iowa or wisconsin in those respective states, it really just depends where you'd want to work in my opinion, TC is a great place though, and good economy considering (~7.5 unemployment)

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:01 pm

I vote UMN because, IMO, Twin Cities > Atlanta. I don't know much about Emory, but my understanding is that they are very similar schools: if you end up at the top of your class you'll have some options open to you, and if you don't you'll likely be stuck in the home market (at least for a few years). Therefore, just pick the market/city you'd be happier in.

Disclosure: I'm probably biased as I will be attending UMN in the fall if I don't get into Cornell.

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Emory
Better weather
Better name recognition for the lay person
and did I mention much better weather

rando

Postby rando » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 pm

base your decision on where you will end up if you are at the median of your class. Obviously if you do very well at either school then you will be able to get some national portability, maybe more so from Emory but I'm not all that sure about MN.

But if you are at median you will be in Georgia from Emory or twin cities for MN. If weather is an issue, you could be making a life-altering choice. As far as competition between schools, UMN dominates that market, but Atlanta is much larger. There is some competition from UGA, but no more from Duke or Vandy than you would see from Chic or NU in the twin cities.

I voted for Emory because I go here and I love it. I also lived in the bitter cold for ug and I hated it. I can't imagine putting myself in that position for my future career prospects in addition to 3yrs of LS.

cendien

Postby cendien » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

I really appreciate the input so far. Good point on ATL being the bigger market - that might make up for competition. Emory's employment stats for c/o 2009 seem pretty good, all things considered. Haven't seen anything out of UMN on this point, and their admissions office wasn't sure how to get it.

One big issue is that I just have no idea how I'd react to the weather in Minn. I'd like to think I could handle it and get used to it, but I've just never experience that before, at least not for more than a week or so.

Emory seems to have the edge in the poll, though. And I do like the national recognition of the school, though that probably matters next to nothing in actual legal hiring.

cendien

Postby cendien » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks for the input folks. Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to go with Emory and send in my deposit tomorrow. Though I'd love to hear any last minute arguments, too :p

Return to “Choosing a Law School”