CWRU ($$$) v Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CWRU ($$$) or Emory?

Case Western Reserve University School of Law w/ $82,500
41%
Emory Law at Sticker Price
59%

Total votes: 34

mayan2k

CWRU ($$$) v Emory

Postby mayan2k » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi folks,

I need help deciding between two schools.

Emory is obviously a much higher ranked school. Case has offered me a pretty big scholarship (Just under $30k per year) to compensate.

Another thing to keep in mind - Quality of Life isn't that much of a factor here. I know Cleveland has an awful rep and Atlanta is considered a much better town, but I went to Case as an Undergrad and still have a lot of friends/connections/familiarity there. Atlanta is better but there are mitigating factors.

However, I don't know much about job placement (I'd prefer to work in the Northeast: NY, PHL, DC, etc) or how they place in their respective regional rankings. I know Emory does well in placing nationally while a high percentage work in Atlanta, but from what I heard Case actually does very well placing in the NY/DC markets if you graduate with a high student ranking.

Last thing: I'm considering transferring after my first year. My LSAT score was in the 170s and my GPA is holding me back, but I had very strong softs and a marked upward trend in grades. I think with an outstanding first year, I might be able to transfer into a better school. Also need to know if going to Emory or Case would affect my chances of making it into a T14 either way.

mayan2k

Re: CWRU ($$$) v Emory

Postby mayan2k » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:02 pm

EDIT: Pleeeease explain your votes... the reasoning matters a lot.
Anyway thanks for any input!

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 pm

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Depends how adverse you are to debt. If you think you'll wind up with a high paying job and it won't matter so much, I would go to Emory. You could probably get a better job from there.

However, if you want to do public interest or something low-paying, go Case.

Also, those videos are my favorite thing ever.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Take the (almost) free ride and go to Case. It may not be Emory, but Emory's not a T14. Also, while it's true that you cannot count on transferring, you'll stand a much better shot at making top 10% at Case than you will at Emory, considering you'll have one of the highest LSAT scores at Case, and the LSAT, whether or not we like to admit it, is one of the best predictors of law school success (hence the heavy weight it's given in admissions).

mayan2k

Postby mayan2k » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Oh please read the post... I did my Undergrad at Case you don't think I've seen that a dozen times?? =P

Any other advice? So far the voting seems to mirror what I already knew... this is one motherf#@&ing tough call.

sdv

Postby sdv » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:24 pm

i know you're looking purely at rankings, but consider geography. Emory may be many points higher, but it is a distant 3rd among SE schools behind Duke and Vandy, and depending on who you talk to may not even be the top school in their city or state (UGA). Case, on the other hand, is the best school in all of Ohio, plus western pa, west virginia, etc. Rankings only go so far.

As far as national vs regional placement, I can only speak anecdotally, but my cousin and close friend both went to Case, one is working in Austin making in excess of 200k in medical law (with no ties to the area) and the other I believe is staying in Cleveland (with a 6 figure job and without graduating in the top percentiles).

Also, I know it's a typical midwest M.O. to be self conscious of your city, but Cleveland is not bad at all, and Atlanta isn't exactly the legal and cultural capital of the world itself. I'd take the money and the better location for job prospects, if it were me.

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:31 pm

I know people who have done really well for themselves out of both schools. You can't really go wrong -- and it is a handsome offer from Case.

That said, I voted for Emory (which is where I'm going -- although I also entertained an offer from Case) in part because I think it offers better portability and (possibly) a slightly higher caliber education. I think that unless you want Cleveland specifically (where Case would be very strong), I think your chances for your choice markets would be better served by Emory. It's not a slam dunk and you have some good reasons to choose Cleveland -- namely, the money and the connections in the area.

I would make this call without concern for a transfer -- you could transfer from either, but I'm not sold on the virtues, and, of course, you can't count on it.

sdv -- tOSU is arguably stronger than Case...but I'm not making that argument.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Do you want to work in the South plus a little bit of national mobility? Go to Emory. Emory > UGA, but is behind Duke/UVA and Vandy, in that order. This is something to seriously consider before you commit to sticker.

Do you want to work in Ohio? Go to Case.

Don't count on transferring, because in all likelihood, you won't.

mayan2k

Postby mayan2k » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 pm

bump. Deadlines approaching, I really need more advice... please? :?

ck80

Postby ck80 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm

#1, hardly to almost nobody who's from UVA or Vandy comes into ATL or the southeast as a legal market for jobs when they graduate, its a fact.

Further, UVA is about 6-700 miles out, Duke is about 300 miles or so from atl, and vandy about 200++ miles out. There is no local dominance at that distance, not between any of these schools. In fact, all of them HIGHLY self-select out-of-region for their top grads to begin with making it all a moot point.

UGA is an inferior school to Emory in both reputation and performance in the region, difference being the top portions of Emory's class move on out of market to biglaw $$$$ jobs, while UGA is stuck staying at home and competing against the mid-third of Emory's class and those of upper level who self-select to stay in-market for local options.

All of that said, look at renewal terms at Case with the scholarship, and remember that things happen such as a crotchety professor who wants things written their way or illness that could compromise a scholarship. It's worth more to think about where you want to work when you graduate than what it costs to get there.

If you work anywhere outside Ohio after graduating, and remember there's a bigger dog named Ohio State in your backyard taking the prime pickings, even the best grades will be met with an "oh, they did well at a mediocre school" reaction. Emory is consistently within the top-30 in the country for over a decade and has an undergrad program with an exceptional rep not to mention their business, med-school, public health, and other grad programs all amongst the best in the country.

You get what you pay for is what I always said....

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:25 pm

ck80 wrote:#1, hardly to almost nobody who's from UVA or Vandy comes into ATL or the southeast as a legal market for jobs when they graduate, its a fact.

Bullshit.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:40 am

So what did you pick? I've mostly been a pro-Case troll but this one would have been difficult for me. I really like Emory.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:45 am

I know this might sound crazy, but I visited Emory and Case. Emory offered me 24k and Case 35k. Though I'm not going to either (W&M for me), I would have picked Case over Emory even with the significant $$ from Emory.

Case far outperforms its rank in terms of mobility, and did so even in the recent down economy. Emory has a great NYC base, and if NYC is your number 1 choice by far, then Emory might be worth it. Even then, the cost difference for you is much greater than it was for me. However, if you just want general NE portability, I'd argue for Case. They place well into NYC, but place much better into DC than Emory. Plus, I actually really loved Cleveland when I visited (and spent an extra couple days there checking it out) and think its a nicer place to live than Atlanta, and cheaper too. University Circle is also superior to Emory imho, though both are in prime spots in their respective cities.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”