NYU$$ vs. Columbia$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick one!!

Columbia 40K
73%
NYU 50K
27%

Total votes: 113

hannah87

Re: NYU$$ vs. Columbia$$

Postby hannah87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:
NY88 wrote:As a lifelong NYC resident I would choose NYU over Columbia for one reason only....Safety. The West Village is always bustling no matter what time of day. Morningside Heights on the other hand starts getting real seedy once you get a few blocks from campus. It is much safer to be walking alone late at night at NYU than Columbia.

I can see that. Although, I would still take Morningside Heights over West Philly, Durham, New Haven and Hyde Park fo sho. There are also no NYU undergrads in Morningside Heights. But without a doubt I would say general location of NYU is a plus over columbia hands down.

i just checked out your LSN and see that you withdrew from NYU- congrats on making the decision! and good luck with Harvard. boy, am I jealous of your options :) .

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:39 am

hannah87 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:
NY88 wrote:As a lifelong NYC resident I would choose NYU over Columbia for one reason only....Safety. The West Village is always bustling no matter what time of day. Morningside Heights on the other hand starts getting real seedy once you get a few blocks from campus. It is much safer to be walking alone late at night at NYU than Columbia.

I can see that. Although, I would still take Morningside Heights over West Philly, Durham, New Haven and Hyde Park fo sho. There are also no NYU undergrads in Morningside Heights. But without a doubt I would say general location of NYU is a plus over columbia hands down.

i just checked out your LSN and see that you withdrew from NYU- congrats on making the decision! and good luck with Harvard. boy, am I jealous of your options :) .

Thanks and congrats on the nice scholly at Fordham. Good luck with NYU and CLS I hope it works out for the best.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

Dtackpat75 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
Dtackpat75 wrote:

Thanks and congrats on the nice scholly at Fordham. Good luck with NYU and CLS I hope it works out for the best.

thank you!! i hope so, too.

M51

Postby M51 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 pm

.... that's something like being 99.99999% safe vs being 99.99995% safe.
I've lost my wallet around town 4 times already, w/ 200$+ cash in it, always returned within 24 hours (one guy had to actually stalk me down).

I don't know how often you've hung around Morningside, but it's quite a ways from the "seedy" parts.... Put it this way, loaded professors w/ families and small children who can live anywhere in NYC choose to live in the parts of Harlem bordering Morningside.

If you don't feel safe around Morningside late at night.... I really don't know what to say. Stop jumping at shadows? Grow a pair? You should be much more concerned about your "safety" from the drunk hs kids around the village than the "seedy people" by morningside.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:49 pm

M51 wrote:

I've lost my wallet around town 4 times already, w/ 200$+ cash in it, always returned within 24 hours (one guy had to actually stalk me down).

I don't know how often you've hung around Morningside, but it's quite a ways from the "seedy" parts.... Put it this way, loaded professors w/ families and small children who can live anywhere in NYC choose to live in the parts of Harlem bordering Morningside.

If you don't feel safe around Morningside late at night.... I really don't know what to say. Stop jumping at shadows? Grow a pair? You should be much more concerned about your "safety" from the drunk hs kids around the village than the "seedy people" by morningside.

+1

The problem with Morningside is that it's boring, not that it's unsafe.

NYU/Village is the only neighborhood in Manhattan where strangers offered to sell me coke. Multiple times. (Not sure if this is a positive or a negative for some of y'all)

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Unemployed wrote:
M51 wrote:

+1

NYU/Village is the only neighborhood in Manhattan where strangers offered to sell me coke. Multiple times. (Not sure if this is a positive or a negative for some of y'all)

I got that in Columbus a few times.

My prejudice always favors Columbia in these debates, but here's a recent post from another thread on the DC hiring gap between NYU and Columbia (there isn't one):

clintonius wrote:Further, re: DC hiring: Covington and Burling doesn't appear to have biographies searchable by law school, but WilmerHale, Arnold and Porter, and Hogan and Hartson do (Jones Day does, as well, but the search does not distinguish between law school, other graduate school and undergrad. I'll include the numbers at the bottom but they may be inaccurate).

WH
Columbia: 52 (overall), 23 (DC)
Chicago: 22, 9
NYU: 43, 6

A&P
C: 31, 16
Ch: 13, 9
N: 39, 16

H&H
C: 40, 16
Ch: 9, 1
N: 54, 18

JD (likely includes undergrad as well as law school and therefore not representative)
C: 105, 15
Ch: 47, 8
N: 103, 5

So WilmerHale does seem to give you a better shot at DC from C or Ch than from NYU, as does Jones Day if those numbers are accurate. C and N are tied at A&P for DC placement, with N having a slight edge in overall hires, and at H&H you are better off from N for placement at DC and elsewhere.

Keep in mind that these are just firms that have their HQ in DC. I'll take a look at the V10 firms with DC offices when I have time.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Unemployed wrote:
M51 wrote:

+1

+2. Morningside is perfectly safe as long as you avoid morningside drive/park at night. I lived up there for 4 years and the only time I've felt unsafe in NY was in the middle of the day in the E vill.

Also the above is def true of the village...theres a guy that always offers my boyfriend either weed or coke depending on if he's dressed in his tie-dye tshirts or a suit

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm

sophie316 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
M51 wrote:

+1

+2. Morningside is perfectly safe as long as you avoid morningside drive/park at night. I lived up there for 4 years and the only time I've felt unsafe in NY was in the middle of the day in the E vill.

Also the above is def true of the village...theres a guy that always offers my boyfriend either weed or coke depending on if he's dressed in his tie-dye tshirts or a suit

In order to get to the 2/3 you have to walk through morningside park right? Does this make more sense during the day if you are going all the way downtown than taking the 1?

holborn

Postby holborn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:26 pm

[quote="Dtackpat75]In order to get to the 2/3 you have to walk through morningside park right? Does this make more sense during the day if you are going all the way downtown than taking the 1?[/quote]

to take the 2/3 you take the 1 downtown (from 116th street and broadway) for a few stops and then transfer to the 2/3 in the 80s somewhere. its an easy transfer though, just get off the train, walk maybe 10 ft across the platform, and wait for the train on that side.

M51

Postby M51 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes, just time-wise it wouldn't make sense to walk all the way to the 2 from Morningside. Take the transfer across the platform at 96th. Much faster than scaling the cliff that is Morningside Park.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:12 pm

M51 wrote:Yes, just time-wise it wouldn't make sense to walk all the way to the 2 from Morningside. Take the transfer across the platform at 96th. Much faster than scaling the cliff that is Morningside Park.

That park is such a perfect symbol for Columbia and its relation to Harlem - a goddamn FORTRESS. :shock:

NY88

Postby NY88 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Loaded Professors who could live anywhere choosing Harlem? Typical liberal way.
Grow a pair? I am speaking from experience. 4 years NYPD . But I guess i am jumping at shadows.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Compliments to OP for having choices that are very well suited to his career goals. And also for being a much better student than me in general.

As for the question at hand...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”