Minnesota (10k/yr) or UC Hastings (10k/yr + 12k grant)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Minnesota vs UC Hastings?

Minnesota
55%
UC Hastings
45%

Total votes: 11

squirtle

Minnesota (10k/yr) or UC Hastings (10k/yr + 12k grant)

Postby squirtle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 am

So, these are my two frontrunners: Minnesota (20) and Hastings (39)

Minnesota (20) has the better ranking but I was born and raised in California. I ultimately want to practice corporate law in either San Francisco or Los Angeles. Adjusting the costs of both schools, they are fairly similar in terms of pricing per year. Please, someone help! What do you guys think? Will a T20 ranking help me get some bombdiggity jobs in cali or will it be better to go to a regional school? Thank you so much for your input!

JOThompson

Re: Minnesota (10k/yr) or UC Hastings (10k/yr + 12k grant)

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:41 am

squirtle wrote:So, these are my two frontrunners: Minnesota (20) and Hastings (39)

Minnesota (20) has the better ranking but I was born and raised in California. I ultimately want to practice corporate law in either San Francisco or Los Angeles. Adjusting the costs of both schools, they are fairly similar in terms of pricing per year. Please, someone help! What do you guys think? Will a T20 ranking help me get some bombdiggity jobs in cali or will it be better to go to a regional school? Thank you so much for your input!

Hastings wins this one. Minnesota is a fine regional school but it probably won't get you back to California fresh out of law school. UMN also doesn't place that many more grads into biglaw jobs either. If the cost is equal, I'd say go to the school in the region you want to work/live in--especially if job prospects are similar between your two options.

squirtle

Re: Minnesota (10k/yr) or UC Hastings (10k/yr + 12k grant)

Postby squirtle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:36 am

thanks for the input...i was thinking the same thing...i guess its time to submit my deposit haha

Return to “Choosing a Law School”