Notre Dame ($20k) vs. Villanova (Full Tuition) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choose

Notre Dame ($60k, no stips)
87%
Nova (full tuition, no stips)
13%

Total votes: 31

FunkyJD

Silver

Notre Dame ($20k) vs. Villanova (Full Tuition)

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Trying, hoping to get ND to bump up their offer. But if they don't, which shall I choose?

Priorities:
* Interested in federal clerkship, though not necessarily Article III
* Ideal job: In-house corporate counsel
* Biglaw is good to have as an option, but not the end-all for me
* Would be satisfied practicing in either Philadelphia (or Pittsburgh) or Chicago to start my career

ps - please provide reasoning along with your vote

flcath

Silver

Re: Notre Dame ($20k) vs. Villanova (Full Tuition)

Post by flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 pm

FunkyJD wrote:ps - please provide reasoning along with your vote
I read your whole OP, but I could've stopped reading here:
FunkyJD wrote:* Interested in federal clerkship, though not necessarily Article III

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 am

flcath, you mentioned in another thread that ND had a bad OCI. Can you elaborate?

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 am

FunkyJD wrote:flcath, you mentioned in another thread that ND had a bad OCI. Can you elaborate?
Well, prior to ITE they had some phenomenal (as in, like, anomalous) summers, where they basically did as well as the midwestern T14s (minus Chi) at Kirkland (which is sort of the Cravath of Chicago... ), to the point where ND-haters/T14-purists had to start making up conspiracy theories about K&E being a republican firm and favoring ND for that, etc. Also, ND has always placed pretty reliably in Jones Day, which is a case-in-point for the ND alumni network.

The K&E thing I think was always overblown--as I said before, anomalous--and JD, Jenner, DLAP, and everyone else (especially going down the vault rankings) cut SA class sizes, and, well... it hurt ND both directly and through displacement of the T14 and other T25s. I don't have data, but I spoke in person with a 2L on LR (no, he got a spot, and I don't believe stories that have ND LR people striking out) who described it in terms usually reserved for the End of Days.

OCIs weren't the big story, obv. striking out at oci >>> getting no-offered

Edit: so basically, I dunno the full extent. But an individual sent by ND to take me out to lunch and sell me on his school told me that OCIs were, I think he used the phrase "honestly not worth the emotional strain". FWIW, he personally got new offers on top of a standing offer from his 1L summer firm.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 am

Two Nova votes. Hmm.

Those of you voting for Nova, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

Also, if I were satisfied with a federal externship as opposed to a clerkship, how would that (or would that) change your vote?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”