Weighing lifestyles: During LS v. After LS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mattalones

Weighing lifestyles: During LS v. After LS

Postby Mattalones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Getting straight to it because I have to make a big decision quickly:

I need to chose a LS with a SO in the mix (yes, it's a serious relationship, if you're wondering). We are from CA, going to LS on the East Coast, and would both like to go back as soon as is realistic. She's a BigLaw girl in NYC and I am soon to be a 1L ... Here is my choice:

Fordham (During LS:Live with/get support from NY BigLaw SO ... After LS: Have decent BigLaw chances only in NY)

or

BU (During LS: Live about 3hr drive from SO ... After LS: Have decent BigLaw chances in NY, NE, and possibly CA).

Fordham = Great life during LS (SOs apt is sweet), limited geographic options after
... I would also get to bring all of my great furnishings I have accumulated over the years since UG to the place in NYC.

BU = Big time life regress during LS (I've worked several years and would be poor again for LS), more geographic options after
... I would live in a college-like place after living in really nice apts. since UG (not a big deal, but something to think about).

One more big consideration: I will be 30 when I graduate from LS. This means that I need to settle asap b/c I'm going to start getting old.

Please chime in ... Thanks :-)

GeePee

Re: Weighing lifestyle: During LS v. After LS

Postby GeePee » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:19 pm

I'd recommend staying with your SO to help consolidate costs of living and to stay happy for the next 3 years. At OCI you'll definitely want to target NY firms, and in particular it's probably a good idea to try to target any firm with an L.A. office. This way you'll give yourself a wider array of possibilities for moving back to SoCal eventually without having to lateral to another firm (although this is definitely still an option).

ITE it will be difficult, but it's feasible given enough legwork. Enjoy Fordham!

flcath

Re: Weighing lifestyles: During LS v. After LS

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I think you may be overstating the gap in geographic reach b/t BU and Fordham. Though I've never seen the latter's OCI lists.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 pm

That has been similar to my thoughts, but I really liked BU at ASD, and I think there is a little bit how I permanently label myself at play here.

Also, as for the 2nd poster, I can't find the OCI list for Fordham right now, but pretty much every NLJ250 firm in NYC is on the list.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Mattalones wrote:Also, as for the 2nd poster, I can't find the OCI list for Fordham right now, but pretty much every NLJ250 firm in NYC is on the list.
Well yeah, they can eat lunch at home if they want. I was more curious about non-NYC firms.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:15 pm

If money is the same at both, why is this a close decision? Enjoy Fordham.

If you visited both and enjoy BU a lot more, things can get more difficult but I still think Fordham gets the nod unless you just did not like Fordham.

Try talking to lawyers in California and graduates from BU and Fordham. Try getting OCI lists from both schools to see how many California firms come out.

HJO

Postby HJO » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am

I think you're overstating the differences between the two schools.

savetheturtles

Postby savetheturtles » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:29 am

I'm not sure how accurate searching the NALP directory by school is, but it seems that Fordham actually has more CA firms at OCI (42) than BU (19). However, keep in mind that a lot of these are multiple offices of the same firm.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:32 am

Go to Fordham. You'll save money on cost of living and you won't worry about the strain of a semi long distance relationship (even three hours can be tough). Unless BU offered you a decent scholarship, I really don't think it would fit your needs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”