another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me choose, please!

Emory ($24,000/yr)
17
50%
BC (sticker)
17
50%
 
Total votes: 34

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby terpette » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:26 pm

Emory is compelling because of their offer of $24,000/yr. However, I don't really want to end up in Atlanta or the south after law school and I'm not sure I want to be a plane ride away from my family/friends/etc (BC is about a 6 hr drive, Emory would probably require a plane every time)

BC felt like somewhere I could see myself really enjoying, but I had a much more thorough visit there than Emory.

I'm from the DC area and am fairly certain (as of right now) that I'd like to end up back here after law school.

I did another thread with Emory vs. GWU but while I, of course, love the placement opportunities in DC that GWU has, I don't know if I want to live that close to an area I've always lived in.

Sorry for posting a second "choosing" thread, but I'm just a bit torn. Thanks guys :)

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby JOThompson » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:29 pm

I voted for BC. Without a preference for region, Emory is the much better value, but I get the feeling you wouldn't be nearly as happy in Atlanta for three or more years.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby terpette » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:51 pm

JOThompson wrote:I voted for BC. Without a preference for region, Emory is the much better value, but I get the feeling you wouldn't be nearly as happy in Atlanta for three or more years.


thanks. It's hard to tell. I don't really feel "at home" at either school yet, but I did like both cities. Just trying to decide where to spend those 3+ years, as you said...

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby terpette » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 pm

bump....please?? haha

mich
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:48 am

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby mich » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:14 pm

i had almost the same decision...emory $$ vs BC $ vs GW sticker. In the end, I chose GW because I'm pretty sure that I want to be in DC in the long run, and all my connections and ties are in the area. After visiting Emory, I kind of got the sense that it would be a challenge to get out of the south, at least at first, with the possibility of NYC but it wouldn't be that easy to come back to DC. And honestly, Boston was just too cold for me after 4 years of college in southern California.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:05 pm

terpette wrote:
I did another thread with Emory vs. GWU but while I, of course, love the placement opportunities in DC that GWU has, I don't know if I want to live that close to an area I've always lived in.


I may be in the minority here, but (truly national law schools aside) don't underestimate the value of going to school in the region you are from, especially if that's the region in which you want practice.

Law schools are regional for many reasons. One reason is that employers are hesitant to hire someone from another region (who moved there to go to law school), invest money in their training and acclamation to the firm, only to have them graduate and move back home.

Further, if you got into a school in the region you want to practice, why not go there to take advantage of the upper hand advantages that school and its local career services office provides? Otherwise, you're going to be facing constant questions about why you didn't go to law school in that area (or why you went to law school where you did). Very few answers seem to pass muster (i.e. "it was free" or "it was YLS/HLS/SLS/etc.").

I understanding wanting to "get out and experience the world" for three years, but, for compelling career reasons, law school is hardly the time to do that. Take a vacation after you pass the bar.

terpette
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby terpette » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
terpette wrote:
I did another thread with Emory vs. GWU but while I, of course, love the placement opportunities in DC that GWU has, I don't know if I want to live that close to an area I've always lived in.


I may be in the minority here, but (truly national law schools aside) don't underestimate the value of going to school in the region you are from, especially if that's the region in which you want practice.

Law schools are regional for many reasons. One reason is that employers are hesitant to hire someone from another region (who moved there to go to law school), invest money in their training and acclamation to the firm, only to have them graduate and move back home.

Further, if you got into a school in the region you want to practice, why not go there to take advantage of the upper hand advantages that school and its local career services office provides? Otherwise, you're going to be facing constant questions about why you didn't go to law school in that area (or why you went to law school where you did). Very few answers seem to pass muster (i.e. "it was free" or "it was YLS/HLS/SLS/etc.").

I understanding wanting to "get out and experience the world" for three years, but, for compelling career reasons, law school is hardly the time to do that. Take a vacation after you pass the bar.


Thanks for the advice! I'm confused though because I've heard that a school like GW doesn't really give you a leg up in the DC region due to outside competition for that market from many of the T14. So if GW wouldn't necessarily help, I guess I was leaning more to BC because of the strong alumni network plus I think if I ended up somewhat "stuck" so-to-speak in a market, I'd prefer it to be Boston/NE than Atlanta/South. Agh, lots of stress! haha

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

terpette wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
terpette wrote:
I did another thread with Emory vs. GWU but while I, of course, love the placement opportunities in DC that GWU has, I don't know if I want to live that close to an area I've always lived in.


I may be in the minority here, but (truly national law schools aside) don't underestimate the value of going to school in the region you are from, especially if that's the region in which you want practice.

Law schools are regional for many reasons. One reason is that employers are hesitant to hire someone from another region (who moved there to go to law school), invest money in their training and acclamation to the firm, only to have them graduate and move back home.

Further, if you got into a school in the region you want to practice, why not go there to take advantage of the upper hand advantages that school and its local career services office provides? Otherwise, you're going to be facing constant questions about why you didn't go to law school in that area (or why you went to law school where you did). Very few answers seem to pass muster (i.e. "it was free" or "it was YLS/HLS/SLS/etc.").

I understanding wanting to "get out and experience the world" for three years, but, for compelling career reasons, law school is hardly the time to do that. Take a vacation after you pass the bar.


Thanks for the advice! I'm confused though because I've heard that a school like GW doesn't really give you a leg up in the DC region due to outside competition for that market from many of the T14. So if GW wouldn't necessarily help, I guess I was leaning more to BC because of the strong alumni network plus I think if I ended up somewhat "stuck" so-to-speak in a market, I'd prefer it to be Boston/NE than Atlanta/South. Agh, lots of stress! haha


While it's good that you recognize GW is at a disadvantage in the D.C. legal market, it's still a very strong regional school that places well in that market. If you want to live long-term in D.C., it's without a doubt the best option on your list. Plus, judging by your tar/username combo, I'm assuming you're a UMD grad, so you'll have a leg up on other GW students on the personal networking connections aspect, since you're from the area and want to remain there long term. As I said above, that goes a long way with employers.

I would also really strongly caution you to move to a region you don't want to practice in to go to law school. Especially one as far away as Boston is from D.C. As many people can tell you, moving to a region and attending law school there is by no means a sufficient demonstration of intent to remain in the area. If you've got significant ties in Boston/NE already, it shouldn't be a problem. But the Boston legal market is maybe as insulated as any in the country when it comes to breaking in from outside the region.

Good luck with your decision. You're obviously facing a tough choice, but it's a good one to have!

splinter23x
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Re: another match-up: BC sticker vs. Emory $$

Postby splinter23x » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 pm

patrickd139 wrote:I would also really strongly caution you to move to a region you don't want to practice in to go to law school. Especially one as far away as Boston is from D.C. As many people can tell you, moving to a region and attending law school there is by no means a sufficient demonstration of intent to remain in the area. If you've got significant ties in Boston/NE already, it shouldn't be a problem. But the Boston legal market is maybe as insulated as any in the country when it comes to breaking in from outside the region.

I agree and disagree. He will not have a problem, at all, convincing DC firms that he wants to come back to DC just because he decided to go to law school in Boston. If his family lives in the DC area, that's all that matters.

I do agree, however, that the Boston market is very difficult to penetrate if one is not from Boston, even for a BC grad.

Having said all that, I voted for BC over Emory, mainly because I think BC has a more recognized name nationally.

Although terpette, have you never done the Boston-DC drive? It's more like 9 hours unless you drive from 11pm to 6am. At any other time of day, you hit traffic on the Mass Pike, 95 in Connecticut, crossing NY/NJ, on the NJ Turnpike, sometimes in Delaware, and between Baltimore and DC. It's dreadful, everyone from Boston flies to DC, so being within theoretical driving distance shouldn't be your real reason for choosing BC. Just a tip.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 2 guests