Emory $$ vs. Wake Forest $$ for practicing in NC?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:46 pm

I have to decide by Monday and I'm so torn!! I have equal scholarships to both- it will end up costing me $6000 more to go to Emory plus Atlanta cost of living is more than Winston-Salem. Because it's so close I want to pick the school that will give me the best prospects in NC. I have visited both, I like both, where do I go?!?

najumobi

Re: Emory $$ vs. Wake Forest $$ for practicing in NC?

Postby najumobi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:54 pm

go to wake. take the path of least resistance to getting a job in NC.

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 pm

That was my initial thought- but what about emory's rank being so much higher?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:42 pm

flowerpot wrote:That was my initial thought- but what about emory's rank being so much higher?
usnews news ranking is interesting and all, but the absolute ranking shouldn't be used to make a decision about were you go. you should be using the employment data for the schools which comprises only a portion of the methodology usnwr uses to put the rankings together. the grads from these 2 schools place similarly, though emory in georgia and wake in NC. if you go to emory you could possibly get a job in NC but most of the resources available to you would make staying in atlanta a much easier prospect for you. same thing for wake in regards to NC. it would take more effort to get a job in NC from emory than it would from wake and the chances of you landing a decent job from either school are similar, so wake is the way to go.

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Bump. Any other thoughts?

rando

Postby rando » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:44 pm

najumobi wrote:
flowerpot wrote:That was my initial thought- but what about emory's rank being so much higher?
usnews news ranking is interesting and all, but the absolute ranking shouldn't be used to make a decision about were you go. you should be using the employment data for the schools which comprises only a portion of the methodology usnwr uses to put the rankings together. the grads from these 2 schools place similarly, though emory in georgia and wake in NC. if you go to emory you could possibly get a job in NC but most of the resources available to you would make staying in atlanta a much easier prospect for you. same thing for wake in regards to NC. it would take more effort to get a job in NC from emory than it would from wake and the chances of you landing a decent job from either school are similar, so wake is the way to go.

+1. If you are set on NC, go to Wake. There were a few NC firms at our OCI, but certainly not as many as Wake would have. Though cost of living isn't much higher here. Do a cost of living calculator. Just to use a round figure, $100,000 salary in Atlanta is like ~$102,500 in Winston. That really shouldn't play into your choice

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:47 pm

You should see my Emory wake thread, it may help you. I'm in a similar situation and struggling to decide. What was your take on wake when you visited vs Emory?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:17 pm

How is this even a choice?

Go to Wake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”