Fordham/BU/Vandy/Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Fordham/BU/Vandy/Cornell

Fordham ($90k)
14%
BU ($75k)
2%
Vandy ($72k)
32%
Cornell($30k)
52%

Total votes: 50

mstich

Fordham/BU/Vandy/Cornell

Postby mstich » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 pm

So it's getting down to crunch time and I can't say I'm completely set on any one place. I'm probably going for Northeast/ DC federal clerkship / Big Law don't really have an interest in PI. BU gave me $60k but I am in the process of trying to get them to match my Fordham scholly, however I have not visited and would probably rather live in NYC. I have never been to the south or visited Vandy but I can't rule it out because of the money and career prospects. I checked out Cornell this past weekend however I am also unsure if I want to spend another three years in upstate New York and I have yet to hear about any possible $$. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by mstich on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

keg411

Re: Fordham/BU/Vandy/Cornell

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm probably going for Northeast/ DC federal clerkship / Big Law don't really have an interest in PI.

Cornell and don't look back.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:11 pm

keg411 wrote:
I'm probably going for Northeast/ DC federal clerkship / Big Law don't really have an interest in PI.

Cornell and don't look back.

+1

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Try to use Vandy to get some money from Cornell, then go to Cornell.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Is Cornell at sticker really >>>>>>>> $72/k from Vandy? Seriously? Given my own stubbornness (and love of NYC), I would've stayed here for $75k, even granted a Cornell acceptance. It is undoubtedly a wonderful school, but I don't think OP's decision is that clear cut.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:44 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Is Cornell at sticker really >>>>>>>> $72/k from Vandy? Seriously? Given my own stubbornness (and love of NYC), I would've stayed here for $75k, even granted a Cornell acceptance. It is undoubtedly a wonderful school, but I don't think OP's decision is that clear cut.

Since OP wants the Northeast/DC, then yes. If OP wanted the south, it might be different.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 pm

keg411 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Is Cornell at sticker really >>>>>>>> $72/k from Vandy? Seriously? Given my own stubbornness (and love of NYC), I would've stayed here for $75k, even granted a Cornell acceptance. It is undoubtedly a wonderful school, but I don't think OP's decision is that clear cut.

Since OP wants the Northeast/DC, then yes. If OP wanted the south, it might be different.

A lot of Vandy kids go to DC, and even to New York, surprisingly. It's a pretty national school, though arguably not as national as Cornell. I think Cornell might be a better fit for OP location wise, but the schools are close enough in terms of career prospects that it's hard to argue that one is worth $72k more than the other.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Maybe Cornell is not $72K better than Vandy. In fact, I really like Vandy. I guess what I am saying, is try to use the $ to make it easier to choose Cornell. If you do not get any $, Vandy may be the wiser choice. In fact, I am not sure that Vandy v. Cornell at equal money is a slam dunk for Cornell (though for me it would have been).

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Last year, I believe a plurality of grads took the bar in NY. Vandy also beat Cornell in the most recent NLJ250 placement. Without money from Cornell, I'd go to Vandy.

mstich

Postby mstich » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 pm

$30k from Cornell but currently trying to negotiate before the seat deposit deadline.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 pm

When I tried to negotiate with Cornell with my Vandy scholarship, Cornell pretended Vandy was not a peer school. Interestingly, they were willing to listen about my Texas scholarship. I wonder if their delusion still exists now that for two (and probably three) years going, Vandy has had stronger incoming numbers.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 am

When I negotiated with Cornell, I mentioned my BU, GW, and WUSTL scholarships, and they didn't sound particularly impressed, but as soon as I mentioned my Chicago acceptance (no scholarship), they seemed much more receptive, and asked that I send the Chicago letter regardless. Honestly, I think that letter alone helped me get a 45K a year scholarship. I'm negotiating to try and get it raised a bit more, but I doubt my Illinois, W&L, and updated BU scholarships will change anything. I'm right on the fence with Cornell, and any additional money will let me commit immediately. I told this to Cornell, and I hope they realize how sincere I am.

mstich

Postby mstich » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Fordham comes to 90k with need-based aid, however I still have no idea what I am going to do. Still waiting for Cornell and BU to respond to my negotiation request. My main concern with Fordham is, no offense to any students, that I am selling myself short by going to the highest ranked school I was admitted to with probably the weakest job prospects in my field of interest.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”