seton hall vs RU-N

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jinkz

seton hall vs RU-N

Postby jinkz » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:32 pm

ok so i've been admitted to RU-Newak and seton hall (with a scholarship that would bring my cost down to 17k/yr). ive visited both school, the admin staff./faculty at shu seemed a bit nicer and responsive than at RU-N, however i am not really sure if theyre just putting on a show for admitted students and how responsive and helpful people will be once i go there. also, i know RU has been facing tons of budgets cuts and tuition increases so not sure how thats going to change over the next three years. i also went to RU-new brunswick for undergrad so i know how hard it is to get through to the admin staff/faculty at RU if you don't know the right people. im not really sure which one i should go to, shu would be cheaper but not sure how it would compare to RU-N in terms of employment outlook and idk if i want my BA and JD from the same undergrad institution and how potential employers may look at that. any advice?

reverendt

Re: seton hall vs RU-N

Postby reverendt » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:49 pm

I have a few friends who went to SH and had a very positive experience, and got good jobs. Of course, they both graduated in the top 5% of the class....but in general they spoke highly of the school.
I've also heard some negative things....especially claims that the career office is even more useless than MOST law school career offices.
Be aware though....it's my understanding that SH stacks the sections so the scholarship people are all competing against each other. It's a real scumbag move....I'm not 100% that it's done there but I've heard allegations of it from several sources.
So, if your scholarship has a gpa stipulation, I'd check into this....

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:55 pm

scholarship says i have to be in the top 50% of my class at the end of each year. i spoke to some 1Ls, 2Ls and 3Ls at the admitted student day and they all said they all said that they didn't know anyone in their sections that lost their scholarship or the few people that did didn't take law school seriously at all and didn't care. not sure if i should believe them though...

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm

I got a hefty scholarship from from Seton, but decided on Case Western instead. I heard way more negative than positive about Seton. If I wanted to practice in Jersey (which I never would for the life of me), I would chose Seton. Better rep from what I hear. Plus it would be good to get two difference schools on your resume.

Good point with budget cuts, public school tuition is going to skyrocket. Iowa, IU-Bloon, and UIUC, all schools I was apt on attending, showed me their tuition for this upcoming fall, and i almost shit myself.... 40K plus.

Case is 40450K, but gave me a nice scholarship and I even negotiated more so I am quite happy with it. Tuition at private schools are much safer IMO.

Go with Seton. 17k Is not bad at all.

jinkz

Postby jinkz » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 pm

what about the rep for both schools outside of nj, ive been in nj for a while now and not really sure if i want to stay in the area much longer. any advice on job prospect for both schools in areas like dc or boston? ive also been put on the "preferred waitlist" at unv of maryland, however im not really sure if i should go if i get accepted since i would be paying out of state (33k) and ive heard its really hard to claim in state tuition after the first year.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:56 pm

sigh, do you have any idea how many seton hall vs rutgers newark threads there are out there if you just use the search function. they are my pet peeve.

im turning down 25k a year at seton to go to rutgers with 8k a year. granted they have very different starting prices. whatever.

if you don't want to stay in new jersey, it doesnt make much sense to go to either school.

rutgers is the credited response to the comparison.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:24 pm

jinkz wrote:scholarship says i have to be in the top 50% of my class at the end of each year. i spoke to some 1Ls, 2Ls and 3Ls at the admitted student day and they all said they all said that they didn't know anyone in their sections that lost their scholarship or the few people that did didn't take law school seriously at all and didn't care. not sure if i should believe them though...

FYI, first I have spoken personally to someone (recent alumnus) who has lost their scholly at SHU and is over 100K in debt and is getting loan assistance doing PI for a couple of years after graduation. Second, I have spoken to a separate student (1L) who says he knows SEVERAL people who have lost schollys. he said SOME dropped out because they didn't want to accrue full tuition worth of debt and not such great grades, and SOME stayed in and are getting help from parents/took on heavy loans. They are very well known for stacking and do not budge on stipulation for scholarship.

Plus, InSouthAmerica is correct. Full Disclosure: I'm Turning down a new "reconsideration" of 35K yr. at SHU and staying strong for RU-N in-state (and 12K schol. yr. )

Return to “Choosing a Law School”