Georgetown v UT-Austin (Law/Public Policy)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one should I choose?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Georgetown
28%
UT-Austin
72%

Total votes: 32

Proximity

Georgetown v UT-Austin (Law/Public Policy)

Postby Proximity » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Alright, here's the situation:

Assuming that I get rejected at Harvard (otherwise, my choice here is moot), I have narrowed my choice to these two schools. I'm fairly open to career options at this point, although my current leanings are towards working within the public sector, likely at the federal level, or taking private-sector work pertaining to energy and regulatory law.

I have received a relatively small scholarship from Georgetown's public policy program ($5000/yr), while UT's public policy program gave me their closest equivalent to a full ride and stipend ($9000 per semester, 3 semesters). In addition, since I am a Texas resident, the law tuition I'd have to pay each year is very low indeed.

Any preferences here? Strong ones? Weak ones? Random ones?

Gymnast0206

Re: Georgetown v UT-Austin (Law/Public Policy)

Postby Gymnast0206 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 am

Depends how much you need the money.

I was going to choose Georgetown hands down, until I saw your information about UT.

For me, I'd want to save the cash, so I'd go to UT . . . but I feel like Georgetown is more respected.

I guess it really depends on where you want to practice law.

Best of luck.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:55 am

I'd say Texas. While Georgetown is in DC obviously, you'd be surprised at how my attorneys say that doesn't matter as much as you'd think for federal government and public policy type jobs (I'm guessing you're thinking you'd like to work in DC).

I work in DC biglaw, and a lot of my attorneys who went to Georgetown complained that its harder to stand out because the DC market is flooded with Georgetown grads. Take that with a grain of salt of course, but I think the financials win out here. Both schools are very well regarded in the legal world (don't worry for a second just because the lay prestige for UT isn't as high as Georgetown's, the legal community thinks the same in DC).

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:42 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I'd say Texas. While Georgetown is in DC obviously, you'd be surprised at how my attorneys say that doesn't matter as much as you'd think for federal government and public policy type jobs (I'm guessing you're thinking you'd like to work in DC).

I work in DC biglaw, and a lot of my attorneys who went to Georgetown complained that its harder to stand out because the DC market is flooded with Georgetown grads. Take that with a grain of salt of course, but I think the financials win out here. Both schools are very well regarded in the legal world (don't worry for a second just because the lay prestige for UT isn't as high as Georgetown's, the legal community thinks the same in DC).

I have a really hard time believing this. Yeah there will be more Georgetown students in DC, but you'll also have access to internships during the school year that UT doesn't. Also if you want to intern for the Federal Government it would more than likely be in DC so if you're already at Georgetown you don't have to pay to move back and forth. On top of all of that, if you are set on your commitment to public service than you'll save more by going to Georgetown. Their LRAP is much better than UT's and as long as you stay in public interest for 10 years you are more or less given a full ride, including the CoL (assuming you make less than $70,000 a year - and even if you make more they still help you out, just on a declining scale whereas UT cuts off any assistance after 50k).

If you're interested in Texas as a location for your job after school then I could maybe see choosing UT, otherwise I don't see the advantage at all.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Fair enough, but it's not like I or the attorneys who have given me advice have any reason to lie.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”