Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall, + waitlists... help! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rutgers or Seton Hall?

Rutgers
82%
Seton Hall
18%

Total votes: 34

mhd08

Bronze

Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall, + waitlists... help!

Post by mhd08 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Here's the deal: I'm a NJ resident and have been offered scholarships from both Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall, and I'm having a hard time deciding on one. Rutgers has offered me $6,000/yr, renewable with a 3.0, + a $1,000 NJ state grant. Seton Hall has offered me $25,000/yr, renewable if I stay in the top 50% of the class. This makes tution equal for both, at $17,000 per year. I've heard better things about Rutgers (from both practicing attorneys and TLS), even though SHU is ranked a little higher. I also loved the faculty and students when I visited Rutgers. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight on Rutgers vs. Seton Hall considering tuition is equal.

I'm also wondering if it's worth riding out any of the following waitlists and attending one of these schools over Rutgers and Seton Hall. I'm 99% sure I'll be paying sticker if I do get in: Temple, Cardozo, Brooklyn, William & Mary, and Washington & Lee. My feeling is no, with the exception of W&M.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall, + waitlists... help!

Post by Gymnast0206 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am

Ugh, tough choice. But, in your case, I'd choose Rutgers. It seems like you like it more and if money isn't an object for you then pay the deposit and see if you get into your WLs if you're willing to pay full (I wouldn't.)

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:17 pm

The tuition at Rutgers is likely to increase at a faster rate since it's a state school with state budget issues. SHU also seems to spend more of its tuition money on student services /amenities. Since their reputations are xompareable, I would go with SHU. It should probably come down to which school gave you thebest vibe. Goodluck.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Last edited by inSouthAmerica on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 pm

i dont know where aposseadesse is from. im guessing its not north jersey.
the reputations of the schools are not the same.
i am turning down 25k a year at seton hall, for 8k a year at rutgers.
i am doing so willingly, happily, unforced.
this is undoubtably the right decision, for me, as it would be for you.

i also got into temple, and though i got waitlisted at cardozo and brooklyn, i would not go there over rutgers for sticker.
hey do what you want, if seton hall gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling, feel free.

or go to your flagship state university with money... doesn't that sound better?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Spaceman Spiff

Bronze

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:33 pm

I agree with the above poster; go to Rutgers. I have only ever heard negative things about Seton Hall.

As far as the waitlists go, I think the only ones I'd be willing to pay sticker for are W&L and W&M, definitely not Cardozo or Brooklyn.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:35 pm

You like Rutgers-Newark, go there! The prestige is about the same between the two & I personally wouldn't pay sticker for any of your waitlist schools, so RN & SHU are your viable options.

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:37 pm

underachiever wrote:You like Rutgers-Newark, go there! The prestige is about the same between the two & I personally wouldn't pay sticker for any of your waitlist schools, so RN & SHU are your viable options.

Amen.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:42 pm

the prestige is not the same in new jersey,
the only place the difference should matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoyas2010

New

Post by hoyas2010 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Have you visited SHU? I went to undergrad there for two years (although obviously on a different campus) and the area is miserable. My vote is definitely with Rutgers. However, as someone else above noted, if you can get off the WL at W&M (or maybe even W&L) I would do that. This depends on your debt aversion and career plans though. If you want to stay in Jersey then definitely take the money (at Rutgers) and get yourself a Fat Sandwich from those little vans.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:32 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the advise! I was doing an overnight at work so I just saw all the replies. I have to agree that what I've heard has been Rutgers > Seton Hall, especially for NJ. I definitely got a better feeling at Rutgers... Seton Hall almost felt like high school for some strange reason. For now I would like to stay in NJ because of family, friends, SO, and connections. However, down the road I would love to move. I know Rutgers is regional, which is why I would maybe consider W&M or W&L at sticker (due to more mobility and recognition outside of their region). Definitely not counting on getting off those waitlists, though. I talked to Dean Wixson at W&M and he told me this is "the year of the waitlist". So yeah, I'm assuming I'll end up at Rutgers which I'm definitely happy about. Anyway, thanks again for the replies!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:17 pm

mhd, some of the NJ firms do OCI at W&M/W&L (or at least they did prior to last year), so I can see why you might want to pick one of those schools at sticker if you got off the WL. I'm riding WL's as well, but if I don't get off, I'd rather go to the state flagship. So far, despite the educational budget cuts that have happened, they have all been at the local level ( :( ); nothing has been cut from the law school nor have they indicated that anything was going to be cut. Of course, Christie is a Seton Hall Law grad...

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Christie is a Seton Hall Law Grad; proof positive Rutgers is the better decision.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:14 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:Christie is a Seton Hall Law Grad; proof positive Rutgers is the better decision.
Christie is horrible. Seriously, I was no fan of Jon Corzine, but what Christie has already done is ridiculous. He is a joke and I really do not want to see him destroy NJ public schools, which are some of the strongest in the country and the reason why people come here to begin with.

But this is OT :lol:.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”