Emory sticker vs wake forest 25k Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Emory (sticker)
43%
Wake Forest ($25,000 a year renewable)
57%

Total votes: 77

leraa6587

Bronze

Re: Emory sticker vs wake forest 25k

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 am

bump

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:35 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Moreover, BOTH Wake and Emory's "type of employment" % breakdowns (which I linked in the above post) add up to 100. As they should. They are breaking down the subset of grads who are employed as opposed to graduates as a whole. Wake's "unknown" is less than 3%, which, if added to their B&I placement (and assumed to be retail/menial), would still put their B&I below Emory's, and their overall employment above Emory. Additionally, neither Emory NOR Wake have the always-suspicious "academia" (i.e. RAs if from non-T10) comprising any of their placement in 2008. Thus, I don't really know where you are seeing a discrepancy or error in Wake's statistics that differ in any material way from the same stats at Emory. They even use the same categories with the same wording, except that Wake had no Military category and Emory placed 1 grad (0.48%) into Military (JAG), while Wake had the "unknown" category with 2.9% (5 Grads) in it.

I'd also add that USNews' breakdown of jobs by JD-Required, JD-Preferred, Professional/Other, and Non-Professional/Other lists only 1% of Wake's and 0.5% of Emory's grads as working in the last category (which would be listed under B&I but include waiters/non-legal-temp/retail/GED-level-work) as of 2007. Professional/Other (jobs where having a JD is of no specific benefit, but which are still higher in merit than Non-Pro Jobs) pegged Emory at 4.0% and Wake at 3.0%.

So, I don't see any discrepancy or shadiness on Wake's part, but if there is some base I have neglected to cover, I'd hope to have it uncovered. I think Emory is a great school (I applied, was accepted with $$, and visited), but for some reason a sizable part of their class seems to struggle worse than peer and below-peer schools in terms of general employment. I don't know why that is.
Glad, no war will be involved because I do have better things to do, as I'm sure you do. I will take your stats as true because I won't dig and really there is no reason not to believe them, except that we are on an internet forum...

Honestly, I am so long removed from the admit process that you probably know better than I do what numbers account for what re; biz/industry. But because I am part of the admit student panel for the school, they told me that is the reason for the discrepancy. I am inclined to take their word for it. Because that is honestly what makes the most sense to me. For instance, the difference is roughly 7% for employment correct? Of a 200 person class, that is 14 people. Not a lot. But if you consider people that have nowhere else to go and take up fluff jobs, that 14 people would seem to fit accordingly. Or the those 14 people could just straight up be more unemployed than Wake. I doubt it though, and as I said, I am inclined to believe the admin's here. I think there is a lot of pandering going on etc., but I don't think they would lie about something like that.

As far as Wake's stats go. Maybe this is the best way to point out the error. Tell me how they get the 96.6% number. I guess it could be an embedded figure in an unlisted category, or just a miscalc on the uknown or just the unemployed that actually had the courage to mention it to the school. dunno. I just found it odd that no variation of the numbers add up to 96.6.

Anyway, good dialogue. No more arguing. Finals calling...

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 am

rando wrote:

As far as Wake's stats go. Maybe this is the best way to point out the error. Tell me how they get the 96.6% number. I guess it could be an embedded figure in an unlisted category, or just a miscalc on the uknown or just the unemployed that actually had the courage to mention it to the school. dunno. I just found it odd that no variation of the numbers add up to 96.6.

Moreover, BOTH Wake and Emory's "type of employment" % breakdowns (which I linked in the above post) add up to 100. As they should. They are breaking down the subset of grads who are employed as opposed to graduates as a whole.

I didn't bold this whole part before, only the "both" part, but there is no discrepancy. Wake's doesn't add up to 96.6, but to 100. Emory's doesn't add up to 88.8, but to 100. It's a pie chart of the "employed", not of all grads.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:51 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
rando wrote:

Moreover, BOTH Wake and Emory's "type of employment" % breakdowns (which I linked in the above post) add up to 100. As they should. They are breaking down the subset of grads who are employed as opposed to graduates as a whole.

I didn't bold this whole part before, only the "both" part, but there is no discrepancy. Wake's doesn't add up to 96.6, but to 100. Emory's doesn't add up to 88.8, but to 100. It's a pie chart of the "employed", not of all grads.
That is my point. Either way you look at it, it is kind of odd. Using "unknown" in your employment statistics, seems off to me. That was the only point, not much of a point, I don't really care one way or the other. The only reason this got blown up is because we were misunderstanding each other.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:58 am

kalvano wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:This is getting more difficult post by post...hmmm....

This isn't difficult. Emory is not worth $100K more than Wake.

This is kind of the opposite way of how I'm looking at the situation. I am fortunate to have the money to pay for Emory, COL, my horse and extra (or Cornell if they ever got back but at this point no cigar). I am trying to see if it is worth it to save $100k, not if it is worth it to spend an extra $100k. Not sure if that makes sense but I tried.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:This is getting more difficult post by post...hmmm....

This isn't difficult. Emory is not worth $100K more than Wake.

This is kind of the opposite way of how I'm looking at the situation. I am fortunate to have the money to pay for Emory, COL, my horse and extra (or Cornell if they ever got back but at this point no cigar). I am trying to see if it is worth it to save $100k, not if it is worth it to spend an extra $100k. Not sure if that makes sense but I tried.

Just because you can afford something doesn't make it a good buy.

Emory will afford you no extra opportunities over and above Wake, unless you want to stay in Georgia.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Bump in the last seconds before my phone gets shut off on my way to Wake haha!

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Bump

WSpar

New

Post by WSpar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 am

as a fellow aggie and a future emory student, i'd say go with emory...but that scholarship would be hard to pass up

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:04 pm

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Wake is wonderful, and it hurt to say no, but Emory is awesome- Wake didn't even come close to Emory's level of scholar IMO. After touring many schools I have to disagree with anyone that thinks Emory is overrated- it deserves it's position and more. I guess we'll know in 3 days.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:with your avatar you should be picking uga!
haha or Yale. Yeeeeaaaaaaahhh right. That's actually my dog who I rescued from the pound. Pretty cool that you can find that at a pound.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 pm

leraa6587 wrote:I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Wake is wonderful, and it hurt to say no, but Emory is awesome- Wake didn't even come close to Emory's level of scholar IMO. After touring many schools I have to disagree with anyone that thinks Emory is overrated- it deserves it's position and more. I guess we'll know in 3 days.
Did you mean the scholarship of the faculty? Or the intellectual quality of the students you met?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Wake is wonderful, and it hurt to say no, but Emory is awesome- Wake didn't even come close to Emory's level of scholar IMO. After touring many schools I have to disagree with anyone that thinks Emory is overrated- it deserves it's position and more. I guess we'll know in 3 days.
Did you mean the scholarship of the faculty? Or the intellectual quality of the students you met?

Both. Emory had professors that turned down places like Vanderbilt, while at Wake many seemed like they had settled (one was offered the job by her friend, one didn't want to live in Iowa anymore, etc.). The students were obviously smart and dedicated, but lacked formalism. It wasn't the right compromise orvfit for me, but that may be just the environment others want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:23 am

leraa6587 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:

Both. Emory had professors that turned down places like Vanderbilt, while at Wake many seemed like they had settled (one was offered the job by her friend, one didn't want to live in Iowa anymore, etc.). The students were obviously smart and dedicated, but lacked formalism. It wasn't the right compromise orvfit for me, but that may be just the environment others want.
yeah fit is very important. congrats on coming to a decision. and good luck with your schooling at emory.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:24 am

leraa6587 wrote: Both. Emory had professors that turned down places like Vanderbilt, while at Wake many seemed like they had settled (one was offered the job by her friend, one didn't want to live in Iowa anymore, etc.). The students were obviously smart and dedicated, but lacked formalism. It wasn't the right compromise orvfit for me, but that may be just the environment others want.
Interesting. I had a very brief visit to Emory, and I don't think I had that much of a chance to rate the students and faculty. I can say that I was considerably more impressed by the one professor I sat in on at Wake compared to at Emory, but that almost certainly had to do with my interest subjects (Wake: Con Law, Emory: Business Transactions). I'd agree that the Wake students seemed more casual, but Emory's students seemed a bit more stiff in my handful of interactions. I've been on the verge of throwing out Emory (at 24k per year scholly), while thinking more seriously about Wake (at 28k per year scholly) for a while. And yet, hearing your analysis makes me wonder if I'm just being prejudiced by small things. Oh,well, it's all about fit (like you said).

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:15 am

84- my experience of the students @ emory is similar to yours. comparing them to, say, the folks @ uva. everyone was much more laid back at uva, kids were showing up to class practically in pjs. at least regarding appearance, emory students seemed to dress the part a bit more. i don't know that you can say that makes them "stiff." i think there's just a heavy dose of southern manners and charm there. at first, it was a culture shock for me. i'm from the universe's least pretentious and proper city (philadelphia). but if you talk to the people @ emory, you'd find the appearance belies how welcoming and honest they are. not once did i get the impression that someone i was talking to was "uptight."

i've enjoyed reading your posts. if emory offered you 24k you must be pretty awesome. so if it comes down to a 12,000 dollar difference between emory and wake, i'll donate $2 toward you coming to emory, payable in beer on the first day!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:22 am

ze2151 wrote:
i've enjoyed reading your posts. if emory offered you 24k you must be pretty awesome. so if it comes down to a 12,000 dollar difference between emory and wake, i'll donate $2 toward you coming to emory, payable in beer on the first day!
Seconded. I've even learned some things about the process that I missed two years ago! Beers on me.

Seriously, Emory is a wonderful place. I never got the chance to visit Wake and I imagine it is great. But I could not be happier with my decision to attend Emory. I don't think I would have had comparable opportunities anywhere else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 am

Sunbird- it's so funny that you sat in on con law at wake, I did too and that's actually another part of why I picked Emory, I had a tall white haired guy and I swore I was back in UG for poli sci.

And as for southern charm, I don't know if you guys noticed but Emory has a large majority coming from the NE, particularly NJ. I grew up in NJ, and I'm just living in Dallas now,so maybe that's why I like Emory so much.

Plus everyone is Jewish at Emory. I don't know how much of that Christian music I could tolerate, I felt like it was on every station in Winston-Salem. (I'm not religious)

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:23 pm

This is a terrible bump. I revive threads from the dead. But is Emory worth 50-60k more than Wake Forest?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”